YOU'VE BEEN WARNED - discuss Star Wars The Force Awakens here ** Spoiler Alert **

Patriots44

call me... P Quatro, Quatro
Reaction score
so lets start by just getting a check-in on who has seen it. if you've seen it just drop a post, then we'll get into talking about.

MODS - if in your infinite wisdom you want to put the kibosh on this I'll understand, but I see bits of talk already in the existing thread.

So obviously, I saw it tonight.

Not a Spoiler....

My 13 year old son ranks it third behind ESB and New Hope.
not sure myself.... because I was a kid when the first one came out and only a few years older for ESB it's hard not to have a youthful bias...

... but this one was real good! Well done by JJ Abrams

So I'm guessing the few others that saw it so far may feel like me and still not want to say much this early. If I hadn't and saw a thread like this I'd be oh-so-tempted to look.

Since it came up in the other thread, I'll give me 2 cents on Kylo Ren, as some reviews I saw said something similar to Roberto as being a great villain (I don't try to compare one to another so much as Vader is such an icon)

I liked how he acted/acted-out (see, not saying too much). Clearly setting his character up for future movies.

This movie stands on it's own, but it's obvious they have the entire "game plan" for several movies. Some of the stuff talked about in the build up to the release gets a lot less mention then I would have thought (Thinking about Ren) but again they set the stage for a continuing story arc while still making it a satisfying movie on it's own

Just came across this

Link

Daniel Craig's Star Wars: The Force Awakens cameo revealed

Craig does make a cameo in Star Wars VII as a stormtrooper, turning up in one of the movie’s most memorably nostalgic scenes. “He did it for sh–s and grins,” says one of the people with knowledge of the actor’s performance.

I'll leave the actual scene behind the link

SSDD

My son and I saw it last night, and we both swear we heard Supreme Leader Snoke referred to once as "she" Did anyone else catch that, or do I need a hearing aid?

My son and I saw it last night, and we both swear we heard Supreme Leader Snoke referred to once as "she" Did anyone else catch that, or do I need a hearing aid?

No, I didn't catch that. he/she doesn't look like a she. Another interesting thing that will no doubt become clearer in future movies. Pretty cool the way they did that with Snoke.

It's interesting to read some "fan reaction" and some think the old and new character integration seemed forced. I didn't, but curious if anyone else felt that way.

So, basically we could say anything about Imapig in here, and he'd never find out.

Good to know. :coffee:

Actually, he said he wouldn't be able to resist opening up any Star Wars thread so expect a response any minute now :)

Some thoughts with spoilers:

The acting and cinematography is excellent.

The plot is definitely a retread of A New Hope. You kinda wish they'd take more chances but after the disasters that were eps 1-3 I don't blame them for playing it safe.

Tons of homages to the previous films was nice to see.

Anyone else think Finn's early character development was a bit wonky? The first scene he is so distraught from seeing a fellow stormtrooper die he can't even gather himself to fire his blaster. Next scene he is spouting off one-liners as he kills 10 other stormtroopers during his escape with Poe. Did I miss something?

Harrison Ford hasn't aged at all. Seeing Han Solo and Chewey on the Millenium Falcon again...just magical

As I said in the other thread I didn't care much for Ren. Too much of a manchild for me. It was at the point where his temper tantrums became a source of comedy (stormtroopers walking by then turning around)

His lightsaber though, which the internet mocked after the trailer came out, was actually really cool.

Why didn't they leave the Ben Solo reveal for the scene on the bridge? It would have been epic.

Love the tease at the end with Luke. Really gets you excited for the next film.

Overall its well done but I hope they take more chances and add some more "newness" to the plot in episode VIII

How do you do the spoiler thingy? good idea just in case pig can't resist opening this thread :coffee:

let's see if this works :)

Doing the Ben thing on the bridge might have been a bit too much like the Luke/Vader thing. this move did "harken back" to the original a little too much and was almost a reboot in some ways. more comments in a minute if this spoiler tag things works as expected

I liked the Luke thing at the end too. was a big tease and obviously they are setting this up for a full story arc of (at least) the next 3 movies. plus with all the screen time for Han Solo it would probably have been a bit much having any amount of Luke time. Would have taken away from development of new characters (I think)

Finn did seem to turn it around quick, but he was trained to fight, just not slaughter civilians, which is my guess as to why he had an issue

For Ren, I liked that his character was not just a vader knockoff but had real emotions and was struggling with his feelings on both sides of the force. His lightsaber was cool looking too. Kinda jagged looking. As for the "knights of Ren" the only mention was Snoke saying it once, and the vision Rey had. I assume we'll hear more on them in future movies

Captain Phasma was a no show. they didn't do much/anything with that character. Maybe she got off starkiller base and will show up again sometime.

Some thoughts with spoilers:

The acting and cinematography is excellent. YES

The plot is definitely a retread of A New Hope. You kinda wish they'd take more chances but after the disasters that were eps 1-3 I don't blame them for playing it safe. Yeah, I agree 100%, SWIV 2.0

Tons of homages to the previous films was nice to see. Honestly, I could have done without them all, specially the character revels. We all knew they were in the movie, just let them do their job.

Anyone else think Finn's early character development was a bit wonky? The first scene he is so distraught from seeing a fellow stormtrooper die he can't even gather himself to fire his blaster. Next scene he is spouting off one-liners as he kills 10 other stormtroopers during his escape with Poe. Did I miss something? I've actually got tickets to see it again tonight, I may or maynot go, but I need to pay attention to that scene again. From a soldier's prespective, and I've actually had discussions with friends about things like this in real life: Seeing someone killed in front of you changes how you see things; he probably didn't fire his blaster while slaughtering the villagers because he now realized that (simplistically) it was wrong; later he is running for his life, self preservation takes over.

Harrison Ford hasn't aged at all. Seeing Han Solo and Chewey on theMillenium Falcon again...just magical So cool, and heart breaking, even if it was obvious what was going to happen

As I said in the other thread I didn't care much for Ren. Too much of a manchild for me. It was at the point where his temper tantrums became a source of comedy (stormtroopers walking by then turning around) I agree, didn't like the casting. I previously had seen Girls (ex made me watch it), and I can't see him as anything than a Brooklyn hipster. Maybe the scar will help...

His lightsaber though, which the internet mocked after the trailer came out, was actually really cool.

Why didn't they leave the Ben Solo reveal for the scene on the bridge? It would have been epic.

Love the tease at the end with Luke. Really gets you excited for the next film.

Overall its well done but I hope they take more chances and add some more "newness" to the plot in episode VIII

My opinions in BOLD
SSDD

let's see if this works :)

Doing the Ben thing on the bridge might have been a bit too much like the Luke/Vader thing. this move did "harken back" to the original a little too much and was almost a reboot in some ways. more comments in a minute if this spoiler tag things works as expected

Yes, and I agree.

SSDD

Just got back from the theater. I thought it was very good, but I think it was more or less a set up for the next 2.

I was crushed to see the death scene though. :sulk:

If you really wanted to be critical you would say it was simply a reboot.

Orphan on desert plan, yearning for something more gets caught up in a galactic struggle. Makes some wacky friends and leaves the desert planet in the Falcon no less, they go to a Death Star like structure, sneak around, she learns about the Force, take out some critical structures and the rebel X Wings go in, yet again hitting the ridiculously vulnerable weak spot in the structure and it explodes.

We have a shadowy leader and a baddie dressed in black speaking in a mechanical voice. And yet again, we have major father issues.

So it's extremely familiar, but it's also why it works so well. It has just enough new characters and plots to make it interesting. It also has that vital element that made A New Hope such a blast, soul. The characters are funny, temperamental and flawed.

As people have said, this was a great set up. Hopefully Abrams gets bolder now and opens up the next two to deeper story development. We'd like to know how the First Order came into being, who set it up? How did they make gains so quickly after the Empire was taken down. What's happened to the New Republic??

And of course, who is Rey.....who's daughter is she really??

Don't forget the "hide something in a droid"!

Definitely a lot of setup for the next movies. I expect to see more on Rey's background, the knights of Ren, and who Snoke is.

Overall very entertaining.

As previously mentioned, this movie is very much a reboot type thing. From homages to outright plot lifting.

That being said, I did really enjoy it and it made me completely forget how bad eps I-III were. By the end of the movie I had the same feeling that I did at the end of both IV and V, just ready for more.

Anyone who couldn't see the death scene coming from a mile away is blind as a bat, but I thought it was still well done. It really sets up the future for the big baddy.

Back