2011 NFL Draft Day 1 Thread

I actually feel badly for Bowers.

I don't. Instead of being drafted by a bottom 10 team he could go to a really good team, and if his knees hold up he'll make a fortune in the long run. He sounds like a good kid - I'd love the Pats to get him if the medical staff thinks he's worth a gamble.

Is there any way BB drafts Marvin Austin?

I think so. If he feels that there is value, then he'll take a risk. Whether that actually happens is another matter. But I can see BB taking some gambles in rounds 2/3. Guys like Da'Quan Bowers, Marvin Austin, Kenrick Ellis and Bruce Carter. He's got the real estate to take some risks, and he proved with Rob Gronkowski and Brandon Tate that he's willing to look past medical issues and take a long term view.

I wanted an offensive lineman in the first round this year. I'm confident that it's one of the positions where we're not very prone to making errors of judgment and I think we need to protect Tom the way we have been to remain competitive.

I wanted an offensive lineman in the first round this year. I'm confident that it's one of the positions where we're not very prone to making errors of judgment and I think we need to protect Tom the way we have been to remain competitive.

I am not sure he will start for a couple of years, I could be wrong, so he might be protecting Stanzi. We need to protect the Qb to remain competitive, and we need defense to win the superbowl.

The pats need to get pressure on the QB, they have not done that in a long time. I could care less about stats, but to think this team does not need a pass rushing DE or a OLB coming off the edge putting pressure on the QB did not watch this team in the last couple of years. I like TBC, but if he is the best we have, we are in trouble again this year with the same issue we had last year and the year before. So is it players missing or scheme that needs to be changed. Most people on this board was screaming for a player like that before the draft, so not sure, this is an unexpected comment.

Thankully, the draft extends beyond pick #32.

My Day 1 winners:

1. Detroit. Suh and Fairley. Dominance. I'm actually ready to take the Lions seriously as a contender in the NFC North.

2. New Orleans. Cam Jordan and Mark Ingram. Really nice combination for them. Jordan and Will Smith will solve their biggest problem on defense. Ingram will open up their offense again. With Atlanta making an aggressive move for Julio Jones, the Saints countered with an even better day.

3. New England. The OT position should be solid for the next 5-10 years, and the Pats could end up with the best pair of bookend tackles in the NFL. That's huge. Plus an extra 2012 1st, and 5 day 2 picks starting with #33. The Pats are sitting pretty. It didn't play out quite the way I saw it, but it never does, and it usually works out fine.

4. Washington. Got a pass rusher with a great motor by moving back to #16 and have 2 picks in the top half of the 2nd round.

5. NY Giants. Prince Amukamara at 19. Solid pick.

My losers:

1. SF. Reached terribly for Aldon Smith, who is more a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 player.

2. Tennessee. Reached terriibly for Jake Locker.

3. Minnesota. Would they have taken Christian Ponder if they knew Detroit was going to take Fairley with the next pick? He'll get killed.

4. Miami. Reached way too early for Mike Pouncey, IMHO.

Thankully, the draft extends beyond pick #32.

Yeah it does, but I am disappointed at not getting a few of those guys that look like they will be studs. I mean the Jets took a player that would have looked awfully good on our Dline. I mean we spend time talking about all these players that would be good for the pats and then they all pass by, and we say, well maybe they were not that good after all. I just do not want to see another Clay Matthews kicking ass on another team and we could have had them, but we traded down to get a pick that we traded down again.

Why is it so hard to trade up? or actually use the pick? Remember the last time we traded up? yea we ended up getting this stud named Mayo who was the DROTY.

I would of loved it if the pats took Ingram. How often does a heisman winner fall that far in the 1st round. We dont have any great RB's. would be nice to have that run game like we did in 2004.

Why is it so hard to trade up? or actually use the pick? Remember the last time we traded up? yea we ended up getting this stud named Mayo who was the DROTY.

I would of loved it if the pats took Ingram. How often does a heisman winner fall that far in the 1st round. We dont have any great RB's. would be nice to have that run game like we did in 2004.
We get the #56 pick for free as we moved a late #1 from this year to next. Free picks are good.

Yeah it does, but I am disappointed at not getting a few of those guys that look like they will be studs. I mean the Jets took a player that would have looked awfully good on our Dline. I mean we spend time talking about all these players that would be good for the pats and then they all pass by, and we say, well maybe they were not that good after all. I just do not want to see another Clay Matthews kicking ass on another team and we could have had them, but we traded down to get a pick that we traded down again.

Simply because you've heard of a guy doesn't mean he'll be a stud. 50% of "future studs" wash out of the league within a couple years and this draft will be no different.

Are BB bashers going to forever hold Matthews up as their proof? Passing on Matthews allowed NE to grab Brace, Tate, Edelman and Gronk. We'd all love a pass rush demon, but NE still got some good players out of that deal.

Funny that you don't mention the exact same technique in 2010 seemed to work out OK.

Simply because you've heard of a guy doesn't mean he'll be a stud. 50% of "future studs" wash out of the league within a couple years and this draft will be no different.

Are BB bashers going to forever hold Matthews up as their proof? Passing on Matthews allowed NE to grab Brace, Tate, Edelman and Gronk. We'd all love a pass rush demon, but NE still got some good players out of that deal.

Funny that you don't mention the exact same technique in 2010 seemed to work out OK.

Gronk I will buy, the other guys....sorry man, I would rather have matthews. I would straight up trade tate, brace, edelman for matthews. Its not about who I have heard of, or not, I mean I say again, am I supposed to just say I am the only one that was rooting for the pats to take these players?

Real nice conference call with Soler on Patriots.com, I like him. His athletic numbers are awfully impressive, overall a little better than Vollmer's other than the Vertical Jump. He's a little light on the weights too but he and Vollmer should make a great long term pair. On the conference call he said he's always played LT, never on the right side.

We did actually use the #17 pick on Solder. And we didn't trade up for Mayo, we traded back (from 7 to 10).

BB will take value where he finds it. He valued Solder at OT more than anyone at DE or DE/OLB. Just like last year he valued McCourty at CB more than guys like Dez Bryant, Jared Odrick, Sergio Kindle or Jerry Hughes, who were the board favorites.

I would have liked to trade 28 and 92 to move up for Cam Jordan, and then traded out of 33. But I'm sure that BB will find value, in ways that we can't currently perceive. He usually does. Typical BB draft, so far.

Real nice conference call with Soler on Patriots.com, I like him. His athletic numbers are awfully impressive, overall a little better than Vollmer's other than the Vertical Jump. He's a little light on the weights too but he and Vollmer should make a great long term pair. On the conference call he said he's always played LT, never on the right side.

Yeah I heard it too. He seemed real happy to be here. I hope he gets in there and takes off quick. We could use him.

We did actually use the #17 pick on Solder. And we didn't trade up for Mayo, we traded back (from 7 to 10).

BB will take value where he finds it. He valued Solder at OT more than anyone at DE or DE/OLB. Just like last year he valued McCourty at CB more than guys like Dez Bryant, Jared Odrick, Sergio Kindle or Jerry Hughes, who were the board favorites.

I would have liked to trade 28 and 92 to move up for Cam Jordan, and then traded out of 33. But I'm sure that BB will find value, in ways that we can't currently perceive. He usually does. Typical BB draft, so far.

He traded back to get mayo because mayo was the guy they wanted and they knew he would still be there at 10. Good move. I just liked some of the guys we passed on this year more than the ones that are left. Can you say the same? All of it means nothing, some kid in round 5 might turn out to be Derrick Thomas for all I know, but sometimes taking a good player in the first round is ok too.

Back