2011 NFL Draft Day 1 Thread

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
12 hours to draft time. Time to start putting all of our draft talk in one place.

Rick Gosselin's final mock is a stunner: 5 QBs in the top 12 picks. Robert Quinn falling to 20, Prince Amukamara to 25. Cam Jordan and Danny Watkins for the Pats. If the draft plays out at all the way Gosselin suggests, it will be a very wild ride.

The lack of certainty among the top picks, the QB situation, and especially the NFL labor situation make this by far the most volatile draft in memory. Fasten your seatbelts.

I'm on pins and needles (for me anyway) and I'm pumped for the next 3 days.

The NFL is forced to make a decision on the league year starting soon. Why would the NFL want it to wait until after the draft? I'd think the owners/GMs/Coaches would all want to be able to sign FAs and trade players for the draft. Maybe they feel it's too late and would be too confusing.

I had 4 QBs going in the first 12, but since the DL crop is so deep, only Dareus, Jordan and Fairley going in the top dozen and then another run in the bottom third.

Any team that needs a QB is going to have to act fast and I smell a feeding frenzy.

To me the most interesting stories are Newton, although at the moment it seems likely he will be the overall one, and Fairley, who should be the overall one but has many teams spooked. Another good one is to see if one team (it only takes one) thinks that Mallet's off-field issues are manageable and snaps him up in the 1st.

It's pretty strange to see the guy that everybody thinks is the best QB being ranked as the 7th best. He is notoriously slow, but I'd love to know exactly what this guy is doing to freak everybody out so much. It's gotta be crack or something heavy. The white gansta QB.

It seems to me the way this thing plays out, that there are going to be a lot of teams coming up that aren't going to be able to address their needs without reaching and that spells lots of trades.

Which brings me back to Newton.

Most scouts report that Newton has yet to hit a 3rd target on his route tree and has only a rudimentary ability to see the field. There is a rumor going around that he performed miserably during chalk talks. His best attribute is as a runner even though everybody knows that running QBs don't last long in the pros. His accuracy is suspect, but Cam looks and acts the part of a superstar and some team is going to have to hope that he can put it all together in a league which can chew up young QBs and spit them out.

I don't know if he can ever max out on his potential and be the kind of star that merits an overall one. The pressure on him and the team that drafts him will be enormous. This thing is going to be like watching a car accident happen. You don't want to look, but you can't help yourself. I'm not optimistic on his chances. Yet, here we are.

If Carolina blinks and keeps the pick then I think he lands in Buffalo and we get him twice a year. Say what you want, but Newton is going to sell some tickets and the Bills need to do something dramatic to try to compete with the big boys.

How much fun would that be? I am praying he lands in Buffalo.

I'm excited about this draft. Feels like Christmas...:dbanana:

Next to SB SUnday, opening day and any games I actually get to go to draft weekend is one of my favorites of the year and with 6 picks in the first three rounds it is even more exciting! I love to wait and see what Bill will do. QB? Pass rushers? O-line? An unheard of Offensive Guard? An unheard of place kicker? AN unheard of Corner who could be a special teams starter?

I'm fine with Jordan at 17.

But if Quinn is lingering at 20 we have to package 28 and a 3rd to get him. Talk about a perfect piece of clay for BB to mold.

Drop down a few slots from 33 to recoup the cost of jumping up for Quinn.

Year 1 he pins his ears back on 3rd down. But he has the skill set to be a 3 down OLB with the proper tutelage.

I still want Taylor and Ellis to pair with Vince though...

I love draft day.:Ohbaby:

I know about - eleventy billion of what you guys know but I can't wait to find out how many draft picks we are going to have next year after BB trades them all this year!!! I'm telling you, 2020 we are going to have picks 1-32.

Also, I'd like Jordan today and we better walk away with Herzlich on Saturday or Uncle Boxy gets it.:cuss:

I love draft day.:Ohbaby:

I know about - eleventy billion of what you guys know but I can't wait to find out how many draft picks we are going to have next year after BB trades them all this year!!! I'm telling you, 2020 we are going to have picks 1-32.

Also, I'd like Jordan today and we better walk away with Herzlich on Saturday or Uncle Boxy gets it.:cuss:
I agree with you on Herzlich but I think that Boxy gets it anyways.:insane:

I agree with you on Herzlich but I think that Boxy gets it anyways.:insane:
He's been sending out bad karma for months on my binky.:shake:

Has anyone said where they think Julio Jones is going to go?

I just want to put this on the record. In case I'm psychic or something. Late night I dreamt we drafted Prince Amukawhosyourmomma at #17. He kept dropping and BB thought he was too good to pass up.

If it happened I wouldn't throw stuff at my TV but I wouldn't be happy (and I would be kinda freaked out about the psychic thing). :blink:

I just want to put this on the record. In case I'm psychic or something. Late night I dreamt we drafted Prince Amukawhosyourmomma at #17. He kept dropping and BB thought he was too good to pass up.

If it happened I wouldn't throw stuff at my TV but I wouldn't be happy (and I would be kinda freaked out about the psychic thing). :blink:
Sssshhhhhh......this is one of the few guys I actually do know and would loooooooooove to have. History says the first rounders I get excited about though go somewhere else and light the world on fire (see Matthews, Clay for example) In my mind Prince goes #1 and is never a thought for BB. Thsi is how it must be.

Grabbing Herzy late would be a steal. He'll be a special teams monster like Izzo was and give some depth at LB.

Sssshhhhhh......this is one of the few guys I actually do know and would loooooooooove to have. History says the first rounders I get excited about though go somewhere else and light the world on fire (see Matthews, Clay for example) In my mind Prince goes #1 and is never a thought for BB. Thsi is how it must be.

I like him quite a bit too. The only problem for me would be we would have two 1st round CBs and a highly paid vet (when Bodden returns) at the position. Who starts and who is the highly paid benchwarmer until nickle situations? Or do we move Prince to Safety in place of Loose Cannon Meriweather? (an option I could really support)

Gosselin's mock draft has Prince Whoseyour momma going at 25.:insane:

I like him quite a bit too. The only problem for me would be we would have two 1st round CBs and a highly paid vet (when Bodden returns) at the position. Who starts and who is the highly paid benchwarmer until nickle situations? Or do we move Prince to Safety in place of Loose Cannon Meriweather? (an option I could really support)
I thought I read somewhere that Prince could play safety so that is exactly what I was picturing. Anything that puts Meriweather on the fast track out of Foxboro is okay in my book.

Bodden-Prince-MCourty in the backfield? Yes, please.

Call that a dream with some plausibility.

He is one of the guys that could be kind of the odd man out and drop down to us like Wilfork did, but he must be pretty good to be the 2nd ranked corner without any INTs last year. People must have been afraid to throw at him.

I did catch him on a chalk talk segment last week and he seems to be right in our wheelhouse as a person. He seems exceptionally bright, was aware of every aspect of Nebraska's defensive scheme and was humble and likeable much like McCourty is.

Our guys love players that give good chalk and while I keep harping on it, it's a scientific fact that character is a real big deal around here. Prince has got to be considered a possiblity and one that I would be reasonably happy with. We have to learn to get off the field on 3rd down and this is one way to get there.

Fun fact: During his 11 Patriot drafts BB has drafted at least one corner in 10 of them including a total of 6 in the first 3 rounds: Brock Williams, Eugene Wilson, Ellis Hobbs, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler and Devin McCourty.

Seven wouldn't surprise me, but over 16 total drafts he's only taken two in the first round, Antonio Langham (Browns) and McCourty.

Look for Ras-I Dowling in the 2nd or early 3rd. He's a more experienced zone guy with most everything you're looking for and if healthy could be a major bargain.

My favorite days of offseason!!! Only two things I know...

A) CBA schmeBA...I won't let any worries about lockout spoil the next 3 days for me! :harumph:

B) No matter who BB picks with their 1st, I will not say "[insert player name I probably won't be familiar with at position I didn't consider a priority]...the Hell?!?!" like I did last year with the DMC pick! [slaps self]

:arrr:
Posted via Mobile Device

Back