2012 Training Camp Thread

Pats will hold joint practices with TB in TB Aug 22-23

Ebert had a leg injury, Zusevics is recovering from a torn pectoral. Hard to blame them for being injured :shrug:

Edit: Roark was waived.

True. With Roark waived I think we have 88 and 2 slots are open.
Castillo and Dielman?

I'd go with Shiancoe and Castillo.

Good bets. Dielman is an all pro D lineman and 'only' 31, but he may not get medical clearance (concussions). I doubt BB signs 2 right away unless he's really good with them.

I'd go with Shiancoe and Andre Carter (if he's ready).

He doesn't sound ready yet but I have doubts about his $$ requirements. At last report he was looking for the moon and the stars.

He doesn't sound ready yet but I have doubts about his $$ requirements. At last report he was looking for the moon and the stars.

What? He wears sunglasses at night or something? They're right THERE!

Ebert had a leg injury, Zusevics is recovering from a torn pectoral. Hard to blame them for being injured :shrug:

Edit: Roark was waived.

He apparently didn't get Tedy's memo. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Why shared practices work for Patriots

July 21, 2012, 9:38 am

Wondering why the Patriots have opted to share the training camp practice field with the Saints and Buccaneers this offseason?

Bill Belichick loves doing it.

After a day spent practicing with New Orleans back in August of 2010, Belichick said, "I thought yesterday’s practice was probably one of the most productive practices I think I’ve been a part of in my career."

Those sessions marked the third time that the Patriots have paired up with an NFC team since Belichick's been with the Patriots.

The first time the Pats shared a practice was in 2001 with the Giants. New England also worked out with the Falcons in Flowery Branch and hosted the Saints.

There were no shared practices last year, likely thanks to the compressed preseason caused by the lockout.

The Saints will be at Foxboro on August 7 and 8 in advance of the August 9 preseason game. The Patriots will work with Tampa on the 22nd and 23rd before playing at Tampa on the 24th.

One reason these practices benefit the Patriots so much is they are an established program. There isn't a lot of orientation and installation that needs to be done on either side of the ball. Offensively, the quarterback is a veteran, the offensive line is made up of returning players, the skill players have all played in Josh McDaniels' system. The same goes for the defense.

This year, the Saints and Bucs stand to benefit quite a bit from working against the Patriots. The Buccaneers are under a new head coach, Greg Schiano, and working with the Patriots will allow them to see the tempo and attitude of a team that Schiano will no doubt try to build his team in a similar way.

The Saints, with all their offseason travails, will benefit from getting outside of their own heads and having interim head coach Joe Vitt get his feet wet leading a team against another, even if its just in practices.

Belichick, who's developed close relationships with both Saints coach Sean Payton and Schiano, will happily help those teams out for friendship and what his team gets in return. Belichick couldn't have been more effusive in 2010.

"We saw a lot of things from the Saints that we haven’t seen working against ourselves. ...They do a lot of things well, so there were a lot of things that we were able to evaluate and also adjust to. We can walk through them, we can talk through them, but it’s different when a good team does them and hurts you with them and you have to make those changes," said Belichick. "(There's) no better preparation for a game than working against the team you’re going to play. We’ve seen a lot in the two practices yesterday. We’ll see a lot more today. It’s been a great learning experience for our football team, not just the players but our staff as well."

It certainly seems to help that there's a friendly relationship and respect between the coaches. If the tenor is competitive and mutually beneficial but not bitter, it will work.

"It’s been so easy to work with them. It’s been so easy. ‘Do you want to do this? Yeah, we were thinking the same thing. Do you want to do that? Yeah, that’s the way we do it.’ Most of the conversations, that’s the way they go," said Belichick. "If he brings something up to me [I say] ‘Yeah, great. That’s the way we do it.’ The individual one-on-one drills, the team drills, the down-and-distance stuff, how we call things, it’s been very easy to work with them from a structural standpoint, which I expected it would be. I really did, just from our relationship and when we talked about it in the spring and then a couple times over the summer and then when we both came to training camp. It’s been very easy. The degree of difficulty on this from a coaching standpoint and working together has been very low. No time and a lot of benefit, so those are the kind I like."

And what's not to like?

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-e...-work-for-Patriots?blockID=743895&feedID=3352

Good bets. Dielman is an all pro D lineman and 'only' 31, but he may not get medical clearance (concussions). I doubt BB signs 2 right away unless he's really good with them.

In the article I posted by Reiss about Castillo, he points out the new "3-day rule". If you sign a FA during camp, they can't practice for 3 days.

This might influence BB signing somebody before camp starts.

Why shared practices work for Patriots

July 21, 2012, 9:38 am

Wondering why the Patriots have opted to share the training camp practice field with the Saints and Buccaneers this offseason?

Bill Belichick loves doing it.

After a day spent practicing with New Orleans back in August of 2010, Belichick said, "I thought yesterday’s practice was probably one of the most productive practices I think I’ve been a part of in my career."

Those sessions marked the third time that the Patriots have paired up with an NFC team since Belichick's been with the Patriots.

The first time the Pats shared a practice was in 2001 with the Giants. New England also worked out with the Falcons in Flowery Branch and hosted the Saints.

There were no shared practices last year, likely thanks to the compressed preseason caused by the lockout.

The Saints will be at Foxboro on August 7 and 8 in advance of the August 9 preseason game. The Patriots will work with Tampa on the 22nd and 23rd before playing at Tampa on the 24th.

One reason these practices benefit the Patriots so much is they are an established program. There isn't a lot of orientation and installation that needs to be done on either side of the ball. Offensively, the quarterback is a veteran, the offensive line is made up of returning players, the skill players have all played in Josh McDaniels' system. The same goes for the defense.

This year, the Saints and Bucs stand to benefit quite a bit from working against the Patriots. The Buccaneers are under a new head coach, Greg Schiano, and working with the Patriots will allow them to see the tempo and attitude of a team that Schiano will no doubt try to build his team in a similar way.

The Saints, with all their offseason travails, will benefit from getting outside of their own heads and having interim head coach Joe Vitt get his feet wet leading a team against another, even if its just in practices.

Belichick, who's developed close relationships with both Saints coach Sean Payton and Schiano, will happily help those teams out for friendship and what his team gets in return. Belichick couldn't have been more effusive in 2010.

"We saw a lot of things from the Saints that we haven’t seen working against ourselves. ...They do a lot of things well, so there were a lot of things that we were able to evaluate and also adjust to. We can walk through them, we can talk through them, but it’s different when a good team does them and hurts you with them and you have to make those changes," said Belichick. "(There's) no better preparation for a game than working against the team you’re going to play. We’ve seen a lot in the two practices yesterday. We’ll see a lot more today. It’s been a great learning experience for our football team, not just the players but our staff as well."

It certainly seems to help that there's a friendly relationship and respect between the coaches. If the tenor is competitive and mutually beneficial but not bitter, it will work.

"It’s been so easy to work with them. It’s been so easy. ‘Do you want to do this? Yeah, we were thinking the same thing. Do you want to do that? Yeah, that’s the way we do it.’ Most of the conversations, that’s the way they go," said Belichick. "If he brings something up to me [I say] ‘Yeah, great. That’s the way we do it.’ The individual one-on-one drills, the team drills, the down-and-distance stuff, how we call things, it’s been very easy to work with them from a structural standpoint, which I expected it would be. I really did, just from our relationship and when we talked about it in the spring and then a couple times over the summer and then when we both came to training camp. It’s been very easy. The degree of difficulty on this from a coaching standpoint and working together has been very low. No time and a lot of benefit, so those are the kind I like."

And what's not to like?

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-e...-work-for-Patriots?blockID=743895&feedID=3352

The other thing to consider is that the NFL has been mumbling about going to an 18 game season and removing two preseason games.

If you lose 2 preseason games, you have to find another way to evaluate your talent.

I wouldn't be surprised if BB is doing this more in recent years as a way to test the waters should he have to do it down the road.

DE Justin Francis passed his physical today and was removed from active/NFI.

PatsPropaganda takes a stab at the pup list

Predicting the Patriots PUP’ers
The first buzz kill of a new Patriots season is always which guys open up camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list. While players can come off the list at any time, and oftenit is just a case of not passing a physical and/or conditioning test, it puts a damper on things to not see important guys out there.
Let’s begin with who wasn’t practicing during the final OTA on June 13th (via Greg Bedard’s roll call).
Not present: TE Daniel Fells, TE Jake Ballard, DT Jonathan Fanene.
Rehabbing: TE Rob Gronkowski (ankle), RT Sebastian Vollmer (back), DE Jermaine Cunningham (undisclosed), LG Logan Mankins (knee), LB Brandon Spikes (knee), LB Tracy White (hernia), WR Matthew Slater (leg), Myron Pryor (shoulder).

Watching: OL Mark Zusevics, RB Brandon Bolden.
Injured: CB Alfonzo Dennard had his left leg examined and didn’t return from practice. DT Vince Wilfork walked off the field on his own.
Just about everyone on the list above could possibly open up on the PUP list, but we’re going stay positive and assume Dennard and Wilfork were fine.
My top five biggest question marks are:

1. Gronk - has he completely recovered from off-season ankle surgery? We knew the timeline would make it close, but it will be excellent news if he’s out there from day one. But even if he isn’t we need him long term so there’s no need to push it. Him being active would be an uber-positive development and given his off-season activities I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t fully rehabbed.
  2. Vollmer - as I mentioned earlier this week the Pats really need Vollmer healthy this year. It’s one thing to replace one tackle, it’s another to replace both of them. He was still battling an ankle injury at least this spring, and I have a feeling they’ll bring him along slowly as well.
  3. Mankins - we’re assuming Mankins is going to be out there from day one, which is assuming the remarkable, but hey, he’s “super tough”. If he’s not out there it will mean it’s time to really start considering how Robert Gallery looks at guard. Maybe I’m crazy, but just opening camp on PUP would totally change my expectations for Mankins being ready for the opener.
  4. Myron Pryor - Pryor is one guy I’m really pulling for this year. The Pats need the kind of presence he brings, an active, get-up-the-field interior defensive lineman. He’s battled injuries for two years, this could be a make or break year.
  5. Cunningham - Cunningham struggles last season we well documented, and starting out on the PUP list would not be a good way to say good bye to his sophomore slump. He needs to be healthy and dominate in camp to win a roster spot.
Reports were that Fanene dodged a bullet with his minor injury in OTAs, hopefully that report was correct and he’s out there from the get go.
Spikes had to have surgery this off-season, he’s another one that needs a full camp or risk falling behind Dont’a Hightower on the depth chart. Stilll, if Spikes is out it will force the Pats to immerse Hightower even further.
Slater should have a roster spot locked up regardless if he’s PUP’d or not, but Tracy White will be in a fight for his life and needs to be out there.
Finally the most fun question of all, can Ron Brace finally open a training camp not on the PUP list? Seems like he’s healthy, but the conditioning run has been known to haunt him. If he can’t pass that he might be cut before training camp even starts.
http://patspropaganda.com/post/27571091564/predicting-the-patriots-pupers

Back