2013 Draft Prospects Thread

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
It's never to early to start thinking about 2013. And I'll start with this tidbid about a guy who is a quintessential Pats-type player, Alabama OL Barrett Jones, who has moved from LT to center during Spring practice this year:

Alabama Outland Trophy winner Barrett Jones opened spring practice at a new position - one of many new looks for the defending national champions next season. Coach Nick Saban stressed Friday that it's a new team with several job openings. Jones lined up at center instead of left tackle when the Crimson Tide opened with a single practice before spring break, a precursor to how the coaches hope the line will look next season. "There's no experiment involved in Barrett playing center. That experiment was all done last year. He got a lot of reps and played some in games. I don't think there's any question about the fact he'll do a really good job.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...bama.spring.1st.ld.writethru.0787/index.html

Jones is tough, savvy, durable and versatile. As TE Michael Williams (6'6" 270# with good vertical speed, himself an interesting prospect for the Pats notes. "Barrett's a genius, almost,'' Williams said. "He can play all five front line positions. For Barrett, it's probably an easier transition than it is for most people.''

It's never to early to start thinking about 2013. And I'll start with this tidbid about a guy who is a quintessential Pats-type player, Alabama OL Barrett Jones, who has moved from LT to center during Spring practice this year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/wires/03/09/2060.ap.fbc.alabama.spring.1st.ld.writethru.0787/index.html

Jones is tough, savvy, durable and versatile. As TE Michael Williams (6'6" 270# with good vertical speed, himself an interesting prospect for the Pats notes. "Barrett's a genius, almost,'' Williams said. "He can play all five front line positions. For Barrett, it's probably an easier transition than it is for most people.''

Ugh...I'm having a hard time wading through the 2012 draft prospects and now you bring up 2013. I'm not good enough to keep up with it all. :(

Jones, however, is a Bama player so I do actually know a little about him. I agree he's a perfect BB type of player because of his positional versatility along the OL. Right now I'm thinking he regrets not coming out in this draft. And, not to be overlooked is that he's being a very good 'soldier'; the switch from OT to C could cost him a lot of money in the end, although if he's a very good C he should be assured of being a fairly high pick next year. Maybe Saban will let him play some ROT from time to time, but in the end, C will likely be his best position.

Ugh...I'm having a hard time wading through the 2012 draft prospects and now you bring up 2013. I'm not good enough to keep up with it all. :(

Jones, however, is a Bama player so I do actually know a little about him. I agree he's a perfect BB type of player because of his positional versatility along the OL. Right now I'm thinking he regrets not coming out in this draft. And, not to be overlooked is that he's being a very good 'soldier'; the switch from OT to C could cost him a lot of money in the end, although if he's a very good C he should be assured of being a fairly high pick next year. Maybe Saban will let him play some ROT from time to time, but in the end, C will likely be his best position.

He's my early #2 prospect overall for the Pats (after Utah DT Star Lotulelei).

Good year for defensive linemen. You have the de's from LSU Montgomery and Mingo. Georgia has a NG prospect in Jonathan Jenkins and OLB prospect Jarvis Jones. South Carolina DE Devin Taylor didn't have a great junior year but came on late. Texas has a pair of de's in Alex Okafor and Jackson Jeffcoat(Jim's son). Brandon Jenkins surprisingly returned to FSU an olb/de prospect. Mich St has William Gholston. Much better player than his brother who went to OSU and Jesters picked in the 1st.

Some qb's will be available at the top of the draft. Matt Barkley - USC. Landry Jones - Oklahoma and Tyler Wilson - Arkansas. A couple of juniors who should stay for another year are Tyler Bray - Tennessee and Aaron Murray - Georgia.

Good year for defensive linemen. You have the de's from LSU Montgomery and Mingo. Georgia has a NG prospect in Jonathan Jenkins and OLB prospect Jarvis Jones. South Carolina DE Devin Taylor didn't have a great junior year but came on late. Texas has a pair of de's in Alex Okafor and Jackson Jeffcoat(Jim's son). Brandon Jenkins surprisingly returned to FSU an olb/de prospect. Mich St has William Gholston. Much better player than his brother who went to OSU and Jesters picked in the 1st.

Some qb's will be available at the top of the draft. Matt Barkley - USC. Landry Jones - Oklahoma and Tyler Wilson - Arkansas. A couple of juniors who should stay for another year are Tyler Bray - Tennessee and Aaron Murray - Georgia.

Georgia has a second monster DT in junior Kwame Geathers. And don't forget the TEs - Tyler Elfert of Notres Dame and 'Bama's Michaek Williams.

Draft Breakdown offers their 2012 vs 2013 draft comparisons. Pretty interesting. * marks the 2012 prospects.

http://draftbreakdown.com/big-pictu...twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

an example
Wide Receiver

Tier 1

Robert Woods, USC
*Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
Keenan Allen, California
Marquess Wilson, Washington State

Tier 2

*Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
*Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
Justin Hunter, Tennessee
Da’Rick Rogers, Tennessee
*Kendall Wright, Baylor
Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas
Kenny Stills, Oklahoma

Translation: Are you sure that you want to take Justin Blackmon top 5? The college level is completely loaded at the WR position, don’t feel the need to reach for one in 2012.

4-3 Defensive End

Tier X
Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas
Barkevious Mingo, LSU
*Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
Corey Lemonier, Auburn
*Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
Sam Montgomery, LSU
Kareem Martin, UNC
*Nick Perry, USC

Tier X.5

Alex Okafor, Texas
Dion Jordan, Oregon
Brandon Jenkins, FSU
*Chandler Jones, Syracuse

Translation: Yuck. The 2012 class is so full of question marks that they don’t even get to be considered tier 1. On the other hand, the college pool is very talented but lacks the production to justify being called tier 1 either. Thus, tier X and X.5 it is. Still, pass rushers tend to break out in their final years in school, so keep an eye on these guys still in school. If I had to choose, I’d take my chances on a DE from the 2013 class outshining those of the 2012 class once they are draft eligible.

Bjoern Werner, a defensive end for the Seminoles will be draft eligble next year. He could be the next German to get drafted by an NFL team. He seems to have the size and strength to play in the NFL.

*Bump*

There is an early look at 2013 on NFL.com by Chad Reuter, a senior analyst of NFL Draft Scout.

His Top 10 Seniors: http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d828ad769/2013-top-10-seniors#photo=1

1. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
  2. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas
  3. E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
  4. Alex Okafor, DE/OLB, Texas
  5. Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame
  6. Barrett Jones, OC/G, Alabama
  7. Brandon Jenkins, DE/OLB, FSU
  8. Star Lotuleilei, DT, Utah
  9. Johnthan Banks, CB, Miss State
  10. T.J. McDonald, FS, USC

His Top 10 Underclassman: http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d828adcff/2013-top-10-underclassmen#photo=1

1. Jonathan Hanks, DT, Ohio State
  2. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
  3. Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
  4. Robert Woods, WR, USC
  5. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE/OLB, Texas
  6. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
  7. Bjoern Werner, DE, FSU
  8. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
  9. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
  10. David Amerson, CB, NC State & Eric Reid, FS, LSU

And Bucky Brooks Top 30: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828bf038/article/2013-nfl-draft-uscs-barkley-woods-among-
top-30-prospects

1. Matt Barkley, USC, QB
2. Marcus Lattimore*, South Carolina, RB
3. Robert Woods*, USC, WR
4. Jaris Jones*, Georgia, OLB
5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma, QB
6. Manti Te'o*, Notre Dame, ILB
7. Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin, OT
8. Alex Okafor, Texas, DE
9. David Amerson*, NC State, CB
10. Sam Montgomery*, LSU, DE
11. Star Lotulelei, Utah, DT
12. Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State, CB
13. Kawann Short, Purdue, DT
14. Oday Aboushi, Virginia, OT
15. Tyrann Mathieu*, LSU, CB
16. John Simon, Ohio State, DE
17. Tyler Wilson, Arkansas, QB
18. Montee Ball, Wisconsin, RB
19. Dion Jordan, Oregon, DE
20. Terrance Williams, Baylor, WR
21. Jackson Jeffcoat*, Texas, DE
22. Kevin Reddick, North Carolina, ILB
23. T.J. McDonald, USC, S
24. Geno Smith, West Virginia, QB
25. Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami, S
26. Keenan Allen*, Cal, WR
27. Christine Michael, Texas A&M, RB
28. Joseph Fauria, UCLA, TE
29. Johnny Adams, Michigan State, CB
30. EJ Manuel, Florida State, QB

*Underclassmen

I'm posting these rankings because I just went back to the 2012 Draft Prospects Thread to check out some of the early ranking from last year and it was pretty funny to read them. Some guys went as high as projected and some fell completely off the map for different reasons.

I am thinking we need not look at the best top 10 talent in these evaluations, but the lower of the top 30 or so guys, unless we trade Hoyer to a weak team.

I am thinking we need not look at the best top 10 talent in these evaluations, but the lower of the top 30 or so guys, unless we trade Hoyer to a weak team.

Well hopefully the Pats don't even have a 1st round pick next year after trading it to another team to get the golden goose pick generating machine started again.

Well hopefully the Pats don't even have a 1st round pick next year after trading it to another team to get the golden goose pick generating machine started again.

I'm hoping they use it, or maybe even move up again, to get another blue chipper, while Brady is still at a high level. The time is now.

Robert Woods is the first guy out of USC whose chances I've been excited about in awhile (yes, Barkley is no-brainer). The scary thing is he's not even USC's best receiver - that distinction falls to Marquis Lee, who will be a sophmore in '12. Keep an eye on him, you'll be impressed.

On the other hand, 'SC wideouts do not have a good recent history of transitioning to the NFL, so take it with a grain of salt.

Star Lotulelei is a guy we should all watch this coming NCAA FB season. He would look so good in a Pats' uni.

| Defensive Tackle | Utah | 6-4, 325 pounds Games Watched: Washington and Colorado (2011)
I am currently in the process of constructing my first 2013 NFL Draft Big Board. While I am compiling the list, I will release some of my notes on the players I am breaking down.Rather than a full scouting report, I will be releasing notes on these players. Full scouting reports will be based on games watched this upcoming season.
First Word: Utah's defensive captain, Star Lotulelei, is one his way to becoming a first round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. A disruptive force at defensive tackle, Lotulelei often finds his way into opposing backfields with his quick burst off the snap and impressive strength. At 6-feet-4-inches tall and 325 pounds, Lotulelei is a space eater that rarely lets a ball carrier escape his grasp. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak into the top ten picks by next April. Utah will be a team to watch this fall strictly to track Lotulelei's progress.
star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Strengths:

• Lotulelei is a massive man with tons of strength to push offensive linemen around. He holds the point of attack as well as any defensive lineman in this draft.
  • Noticeably the first defender to engage on nearly every Utah defensive snap, Lotulelei has great instincts and burst at the line of scrimmage.
  • Penetration is another big plus for this kid. He overpowers blockers, pushing them into the backfield with ease.
  • Tackling will never be an issue for Lotulelei. He is so strong and wraps up very well.
  • Lotulelei will make an instant impact in the NFL as a run defender. He has an advanced ability to shed blocks and stop ball carriers for minimal gains.

Weaknesses:

• Lotulelei is still maturing as a pass rusher. To become a top ten draft pick, he will have to prove to be a consistent, disruptive force on the inside.
  • Occasionally, Star will play himself out of position on a play. Entering his senior season, I expect to see an even more instinctual player with mature play recognition. He has been somewhat inconsistent in this area to this point.
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/5/27/3045100/star-lotulelei-2013-nfl-draft-prospect-notes

And a link for his over and under rated players going in
http://draftbreakdown.com/overratedunderrated-2013-nfl-draft-prospects

Hopefully Jones and and Hightower and Bequette pan out so we're not all clamoring for pass rushers in 2013. :grovel:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...bama.spring.1st.ld.writethru.0787/index.html

Looking past his skills, intelligence and willingness to play wherever he's needed for a moment. He's too tall to play interior OL in the pros in anything but an emergency basis and with all the OTs we've taken in the last few year I hope that spot is pretty well set for us for years to come. Not interested.

Looking past his skills, intelligence and willingness to play wherever he's needed for a moment. He's too tall to play interior OL in the pros in anything but an emergency basis and with all the OTs we've taken in the last few year I hope that spot is pretty well set for us for years to come. Not interested.
sp-raiders28_ph2_0499956658.jpg

O, hai, I'm 6'7" and projected to be your starting left guard while Mankins recovers from knee surgery :coffee:

sp-raiders28_ph2_0499956658.jpg

O, hai, I'm 6'7" and projected to be your starting left guard while Mankins recovers from knee surgery :coffee:

i.e. "in an emergency basis".

Sorry to say, Brady may have a harder time seeing Welker or getting the ball to Wes on the left side or slot because he'll have to throw it over a 6'7" LG.

Are you talking about Barrett Jones? He is slightly over 6'4'' at 305 according to NFL Draft Scout. That's good size for an interior lineman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you talking about Barrett Jones? He is slightly over 6'4'' at 305 according to NFL Draft Scout. That's good size for an interior lineman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, d'oh! My mistake. :banghead:

I saw 6'6" for that other guy in the article, and that Jones has played tackle (usually tall guys) and got mixed up on B. Jones' height. Yeah, if that 6'4"/305# is somewhat accurate that's pretty much prototypical size for our interior OLs.

(Here's where I start my rant about not taking interior OL-men too high. j/k)

Back