2019 Draft Prospects

Bill is at it.

D2CYpcwXcAAn_0U.jpg:large

Yup. A year to learn under Chung.

I thought I read his coverage was very good. Propensity for the big pop vs being a more sure wrap up guy was his knock.

I thought he was an excellent wrap-up tackler who hits anything in sight. Haven't heard anything like that.

Far as that coverage liability, I was just going by a scouting report I read on him that said he lacks speed for the pros. I just checked out his SPARQ and he did extremely well in just about everything. He ran a 4.41 and benched 20 times. Not a lot of guys can claim both of those and Will Harris is a pretty accomplished player for a College kid. Not just a 4.4 wonder boy in shorts.

I'm no longer thinking he's going to be there in the 3rd round or later with those numbers. He's gotta be on the rise.

Yeah, the league will be continued to be dominated by ol Bill.

Pencil behind the ear, chatting with the College legend one to one.

D2C7rXZWsAAm9HM.jpg:large

The market for Gostkowski has been pretty silent so far even though a few teams still need a kicker. The Pats aren't reported to have made any offers but that could be because the price keeps going down. What are the options in the draft?

Cole Tracy: Honestly, this would be the best story. The LSU kicker — a Bay State native by way of Assumption College — was tremendous for the Tigers last season, going 29-for-33 with three of those misses coming from 50-plus. He didn’t miss an extra point, and his long was 54 yards. His best was when he went 5-for-5 in LSU’s upset of Georgia. College kickers can be all over the place sometimes, but last season, Tracy was as close to rock solid as you can get.
Matt Gay: Gay was 26-for-31 with a long of 55 yards last year with Utah. As a junior, he had a pair of 56-yard field goals, and ended the season with an 88 percent conversion rate (30-of-34).
Austin Seibert: The Oklahoma kicker went an impressive 17-for-19 for the Sooners last year. That was on the heels of an 81 percent conversion rate as a junior.
Justin Yoon: The former Notre Dame kicker was 17-for-21 for the Irish last season, putting the capper on a good four-year run as a collegian where he made 80 percent of his field-goal attempts.

How absurd is 9 catches allowed by a CB for 42 yards over a full season?!
1 catch allowed every 32.8 snaps. That's great cover ability from a CB.

D2BGoyQX0AAa9B3.jpg

About drafting a QB...caveat emptor.

There were 14 quarterbacks chosen in the 2014 NFL draft and Derek Carr is the only one who's still with the team that selected him. Most of the 14 aren't in the NFL anymore; JimmyG is the only one other than Carr who's projected to be a starter this year.
There are as many QBs from the 2014 NFL draft currently in the AAF (Johnny Manziel, Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger, Garrett Gilbert) as there are currently in the NFL (Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater)

The market for Gostkowski has been pretty silent so far even though a few teams still need a kicker. The Pats aren't reported to have made any offers but that could be because the price keeps going down. What are the options in the draft?

Cole Tracy: Honestly, this would be the best story. The LSU kicker — a Bay State native by way of Assumption College — was tremendous for the Tigers last season, going 29-for-33 with three of those misses coming from 50-plus. He didn’t miss an extra point, and his long was 54 yards. His best was when he went 5-for-5 in LSU’s upset of Georgia. College kickers can be all over the place sometimes, but last season, Tracy was as close to rock solid as you can get.
Matt Gay: Gay was 26-for-31 with a long of 55 yards last year with Utah. As a junior, he had a pair of 56-yard field goals, and ended the season with an 88 percent conversion rate (30-of-34).
Austin Seibert: The Oklahoma kicker went an impressive 17-for-19 for the Sooners last year. That was on the heels of an 81 percent conversion rate as a junior.
Justin Yoon: The former Notre Dame kicker was 17-for-21 for the Irish last season, putting the capper on a good four-year run as a collegian where he made 80 percent of his field-goal attempts.

Yoon’s a great kid; I know him from his days at Milton Academy. Once kicked a 60 yarder as a high school junior, against my school .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Adam Kurkjian‏Verified account @AdamKurkjian
If the amount of communication and attention between Scarnecchia

and Lindstrom today is any indication, the Patriots really have a lot of
interest in the BC guard. A lot of conversation, and Scarnecchia personally
ran Lindstrom and Aaron Monteiro through a series of drills.

Scar had OG Lindstrom practicing the C position with a lecture then 15-20 mins of short and long snapping. Private workout?

Excellent prospect videos on Patriots web page:

https://www.patriots.com/video/draft-prospects

Just watched 2 of often mocked Pats type prospects, Hunter Renfrow & Andy Isabella.

Renfrow is Wes Welker. Period. All short underneath stuff. You’d swear someone put Welker in a college jersey. Everything he does would fit here seemless. Day One player.

Andy Isabella is an entirely different story. Mostly intermediate stuff. Tracks balls exceptionally. And once he secures it look out. His gear from 2 to 3 is OUTSTANDING. He separates from everyone. Explosive. It’s really worth the watch. Excellent hands.

Adam Kurkjian‏Verified account @AdamKurkjian
If the amount of communication and attention between Scarnecchia

and Lindstrom today is any indication, the Patriots really have a lot of
interest in the BC guard. A lot of conversation, and Scarnecchia personally
ran Lindstrom and Aaron Monteiro through a series of drills.

Scar had OG Lindstrom practicing the C position with a lecture then 15-20 mins of short and long snapping. Private workout?

Most teams seem to draft for immediate need, but the Pats tend to plan for down the road for when a guy's contract is coming up. Mason is signed for a while, but it's possible that we'd draft a guard (or C for that matter) to replace Thuney or Andrews, even though most of us wouldn't see the need right now.

Probably a long shot, but you never know with Bill.

Caserio met with W.Va. WRs Gary Jennings and David Sills yesterday.

QB Will Grier put on a show for all 32 teams at WVU's Pro Day yesterday acc to Schefter. The Pats are 1 team of 10 scheduled to have a private workout with him.

The West Virginia quarterback told reporters at the combine the Mountaineers “built (their) offense off a lot of what” the Patriots do in college.
“Honestly, Jake Spavital, my OC at West Virginia, watched a lot of Patriots film and built our offense off a lot of what they (do),” Grier said last month at the combine. “Obviously, different terminology, but we would see stuff and be like, ‘We’re going to do that.’ Tom Brady does all right. So, we watched a lot of Tom Brady film.”
“In 2017, we were very wide-spread oriented, which is kind of what Spav brought to the game from other places he’s been. It’s different. A lot what we did with the Patriots was we saw they were doing a lot of tighter split stuff, and they were getting free releases with guys, working isolations and different routes all the way across the field.”
And in a conversation with Spavital, the former West Virginia OC backed up a lot of what Grier said, acknowledging that if the Patriots went after Grier in this year’s draft, they’d get a guy who is well-schooled in a lot of the tendencies favored by the New England passing game.
“We did a lot of that stuff with Will at West Virginia,” said Spavital, who is now the head coach at Texas State.
Let’s be honest: there are a lot of college quarterbacks out there who incorporate some elements of the Patriots’ offense into their own game. They’d be foolish not to. But it’s another thing to be able to execute in that system. Grier had impressive numbers last year with the Mountaineers — the 6-foot-2, 223-pounder threw for 3,864 yards, 37 touchdowns, only eight picks and had a 67 percent completion rate.
Spavital, who has worked at the college level with several quarterbacks who have gone on to the NFL — including a stint with Kyler Murray at Texas A&M before his transfer to Oklahoma — says Grier is well-suited to be on the same roster as Brady for several reasons, including the fact he shares Brady’s desire for constant improvement.

“He has a great ability to deliver the ball to his receiver inside the catching frame — not making them extend or reach outside their frame to get blown up, that’s good. My thing is, I don’t know if he’s an ‘all the throws’ type of guy,” said one NFL scout.
“He’s got good timing and delivers a good ball. Maybe he’s more of a West Coast-offense guy? What they do in some places like Philly and Los Angeles, he’d be a perfect fit. If it’s more of a vertical stretch-type of system, it would be a difficult fit for him at this stage of his career.”
NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah describes Grier as a “good all-around player,” but at this stage of his career, despite the high level of production, Grier has some things he needs to work on if he’s to succeed at the next level, including arm strength and developing a quicker release.
“He does not have kind of a ‘wow’ trait. He’s a good all-around player, but there’s just nothing that’s going to wow you in terms of an arm-strength standpoint (or) ability to really kind of create, which we’ve seen become a little bit more important at that position recently,” Jeremiah said last month.

QB Will Grier put on a show for all 32 teams at WVU's Pro Day yesterday acc to Schefter. The Pats are 1 team of 10 scheduled to have a private workout with him.

Read somewhere that Sills is considered to be a very smart route runner.

Where is Grier slated to go? Do they have a shot at him?

About drafting a QB...caveat emptor.

There were 14 quarterbacks chosen in the 2014 NFL draft and Derek Carr is the only one who's still with the team that selected him. Most of the 14 aren't in the NFL anymore; JimmyG is the only one other than Carr who's projected to be a starter this year.
There are as many QBs from the 2014 NFL draft currently in the AAF (Johnny Manziel, Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger, Garrett Gilbert) as there are currently in the NFL (Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater)

Yeah its tough to get it right with a QB. Some teams struggle for a long time.

Read somewhere that Sills is considered to be a very smart route runner.

I watched a lot of WVU this season and Sills was their 3rd down go-to guy. The combo of Grier to Sills made that offense click.

His numbers weren't bad (though not eye-popping in any area), but the traits that can't be measured and will help him be productive in pro ball is his ability to adjust in the air and high-point the ball (he's 6' 3"). He makes tough catches. Tons of them. He actually reminds me of a young Gronk in his ability to twist his frame like Gumby while not losing any speed. He's got great hands and can take a lick and still haul it in. He can box a guy out.

I'd be happy to see him land here. He doesn't look great in pads like some of these guys, but he is a player.

Back