2019 Draft Prospects

Where is Grier slated to go? Do they have a shot at him?

The "current wisdom" has him most definitely available to us. He's generally considered a 3rd-rounder, but I think when teams meet him that they're going to be impressed. He's a very smart dude. Very impressive on the chalk board. He's going to rise between now and the draft and I think he goes second round.

The doubts that he can't throw in a vertical attack right now might be legit, but Brady didn't throw deep at all for his first couple of years as a starter. It took him a long time to expand his perimeter of control. Anybody that thinks Grier has a bad arm hasn't watched him. He's better going deep than Brady was initially.

Grier reminds me a lot of Brady on the field. He's a leader and a winner and isn't intimidated by anybody. He also comes from an interesting celebrity family and won't be shy about being in the spotlight.

Grier is consistently still around in the 4th in every mock I do. It’s always a struggle to pass over , but I just think it’s too early with TB. But...he may be just right.

I was very enthusiastic for Grier.

And then chev posted one stat that terrifies me of him. When pressured off his spot?

Heinous.

Stills struggles to beat press at the line of scrimmage. It wasn't a big issue in college, because teams play so much off coverage on defense. Sills lined up off the line a lot as well. Had major issues to beat press in practice drills at the Senior Bowl according to media reports.

Stills struggles to beat press at the line of scrimmage. It wasn't a big issue in college, because teams play so much off coverage on defense. Sills lined up off the line a lot as well. Had major issues to beat press in practice drills at the Senior Bowl according to media reports.

There are ways to defeat press man at the LOS and you named 2 good ones: Lining up off the LOS is a good one, flanker for example, another is to be hidden in trips formation. The best and easiest is to use motion.

An even more popular player who will have this issue in the NFL is Andy Isabella. Everyone thinks of him as a slot guy bc of his size but he was really an outside speed guy at UMass. That won't translate without some difficulty to the NFL because a bigger stronger CB will disrupt his line release easily on the outside by pushing him to the boundary. Outside WRs only have 2 ways to go out when they're lined up outside - straight ahead or inside. Fundamentally, defeating press man is more difficult to achieve outside than it is inside. Perhaps Isabella can switch to slot but that remains to be seen. He probably can but it will take time. Having to change positions is 1 reason I don't have Isabella real high on my WR list for the Pats.

Grier is consistently still around in the 4th in every mock I do. It’s always a struggle to pass over , but I just think it’s too early with TB. But...he may be just right.

I was very enthusiastic for Grier.

And then chev posted one stat that terrifies me of him. When pressured off his spot?

Heinous.

Ran across this. I figured he'd be a guy that will rise because somebody will fall in love with Grier, despite his flaws, but the below would not shock me. Unless it's us that takes him at 32. From SI:

GRIER COULD SNEAK INTO ROUND 1: Lost in the Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins hype is West Virginia quarterback Will Grier. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Grier will meet with at least 10 teams before the draft, including the Giants, Chargers, Washington, New England and New Orleans. I could see Grier as a late-first-round pick (the Chargers pick at 28 and the Patriots at 32).

Ran across this. I figured he'd be a guy that will rise because somebody will fall in love with Grier, despite his flaws, but the below would not shock me. Unless it's us that takes him at 32. From SI:

GRIER COULD SNEAK INTO ROUND 1: Lost in the Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins hype is West Virginia quarterback Will Grier. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Grier will meet with at least 10 teams before the draft, including the Giants, Chargers, Washington, New England and New Orleans. I could see Grier as a late-first-round pick (the Chargers pick at 28 and the Patriots at 32).

I heard Grier described as "a gunslinger" & "Joe Flacco when he's good and Josh Rosen when he's bad" which is about as bad as anything you could say about the guy to a Patriots fan. I'm pretty sure it was Bill Polian on SXM last night.

I meant to mention that Sills has a drop rate of 10% and a catch rate of only 53% which should reduce his value to the Patriots.

No thank you.

Too many needs here with a playoff caliber team to dump a 1 on a guy who’ll be put on ice, if not cryogenically frozen.

Tillery has been getting a lot of Pats projection, but he’s off my board and I can’t think this info sits well with Bill either:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jerry-tillery

RED FLAGS - Suspended for Fiesta Bowl as a freshman due to unspecified violation of team rules. In 2016 went on a Twitter rampage in which he indirectly suggested fired LSU coach Les Miles should replace Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly. In 2016 vs USC kicked one Trojan player in the head and stomped on another's leg. Has other loves and passions outside of football that may concern teams (I don't care). Work ethic and effort haven't always been ideal, but huge growth over past two seasons

Tillery has been getting a lot of Pats projection, but he’s off my board and I can’t think this info sits well with Bill either:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jerry-tillery

RED FLAGS - Suspended for Fiesta Bowl as a freshman due to unspecified violation of team rules. In 2016 went on a Twitter rampage in which he indirectly suggested fired LSU coach Les Miles should replace Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly. In 2016 vs USC kicked one Trojan player in the head and stomped on another's leg. Has other loves and passions outside of football that may concern teams (I don't care). Work ethic and effort haven't always been ideal, but huge growth over past two seasons
Jesus! Who woould think BB wants him. He wasn't on my radar and I didn't know that stuff. (now watch BB move up to draft him. I didn't like Seymour, either, when he was drafted. )

The Pats are following the Steelers around quite a bit this year with their WR meet ups. Good idea!

They already have an ex-Steeler WR on their roster Damoun Patterson.
His highlights look pretty good:shrug_n:

I have a friend who teaches at New Canaan HS here in CT (Zach Allen's alma mater)

He said the Rams were the only team that sent representatives to the school. They spent the day with the AD and the coach.

No idea how many teams go back to a prospects high school but I would venture to guess that the Rams are really interested in drafting this kid.

I have a friend who teaches at New Canaan HS here in CT (Zach Allen's alma mater)

He said the Rams were the only team that sent representatives to the school. They spent the day with the AD and the coach.

No idea how many teams go back to a prospects high school but I would venture to guess that the Rams are really interested in drafting this kid.

I think in this day and age it’s relatively common. Especially with top 100 prospects. Can’t afford any Christian Peter type surprises in this age of information.

Kirk Ferentz does a good job comparing his 2 TEs. He's a well-spoken, intelligent and composed guy. It's easy to see why he and BB have remained good friends after KF coached OL for BB in Cleveland.

<iframe src="//vplayer.nbcsports.com/p/BxmELC/nbcsports_embed/select/media/DNzNdhtLFonG" allow="autoplay" allowfullscreen="" width="624" height="351" frameborder="0">Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Some double down combinations of TEs for the Pats proposed by Bucky Brooks.

...here are a few intriguing combinations that the Patriots might be able to put together to address their tight end needs via the draft:

Iowa's T.J. Hockenson (Y) and Texas A&M's Jace Sternberger (flex): Hockenson is the quintessential "Y" tight end in today's game. He's a rugged blocker in the running game but also displays the route-running skills and pass-catching ability to dominate between the hashes. Sternberger is a dynamic vertical threat with big-play potential as a "seam" runner over the middle.
Iowa's Noah Fant (flex) and Boston College's Tommy Sweeney (Y): Fant is a "jumbo" wide receiver with the speed and explosiveness to exploit mismatches against linebackers and safeties on the perimeter. Sweeney is a blue-collar player with outstanding blocking skills and soft hands.
Alabama's Irv Smith, Jr. (flex) and Washington's Drew Sample (Y): Smith could be classified in either category as a swift pass catcher with B-plus blocking skills. He can align anywhere within a formation to create mismatches in the passing game. Sample is a hard-nosed player capable of moving defenders off the ball in the running game while also making an occasional play as a pass catcher.
Ole Miss' Dawson Knox (Y) and UCLA's Caleb Wilson (flex): Knox is the rugged "Y" that every offensive coordinator covets in their "21" (two RBs, one TE, two WRs) and "11" (one RB, one TE, three WRs) personnel packages. The Ole Miss product is a sticky blocker with the body control and relentless effort needed to win consistently on the edges. Wilson is a pass-catching tight end with soft hands and outstanding route-running ability. He is a natural "flex" tight end with the potential to exploit mismatches in space.
Stanford's Kaden Smith (Y) and San Jose State's Josh Oliver (flex): Smith is a polished "Y" with a solid all-around game. He is a sticky blocker with a non-stop motor and a nasty demeanor. Oliver is an athletic playmaker with the speed and post-up skills to be a difference maker in the passing game. He should be an effective "jumbo" slot receiver in a spread offense designed to create mismatches in space.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...n=tw-cf-sf210149036-sf210149036&sf210149036=1

I think we can all agree Hockenson will be long gone so forget him.

Bucky names these as classic Y TEs:
1. Tommy Sweeney, BC
2. Drew Sample, Washington
3. Dawson Knox, Miss.
4. Kaden Smith, Stanford
but I'd add
5. Irv Smith, Bama (I see him more of a Y than a speedy flex guy)

and these as flex TEs:
1. Sternberger, Tex A&M
2. Noah Fant, Iowa
3. Irv Smith, Bama
4. Caleb Wilson,UCLA
5. Josh Oliver, San Jose St.

Chances are that all are on the Pats board. This is a very good TE class imo. Value will determine if & when BB drafts 1 or 2 of these players. I can see any combination being taken by the Pats and be very happy and confident they can do their job. Pick a Y and pick a flex and move on.

He leaves out the guy I actually think they take - Kahale Warring.

I think we can double dip in 3rd with Warring and Sample.

Use the first 4 picks on DT, WR, Edge, OT.

Foster Moreau.

If we don't get at least one top guy then don't be surprised if the Pats snap this guy up higher than is expected (day 3).

When you're looking at a bunch of prospects and trying to suss out what the Pats think of him, then look at leadership, intangibles and the ability to play special teams and he hits on all cylinders. He's tough and fiesty, runs a 4.6 at 253 and was the guy everybody on that team looked up to including the coaching staff. And he has never played with a real QB.

This guy has Patriot written all over him.

Foster Moreau.

If we don't get at least one top guy then don't be surprised if the Pats snap this guy up higher than is expected (day 3).

When you're looking at a bunch of prospects and trying to suss out what the Pats think of him, then look at leadership, intangibles and the ability to play special teams and he hits on all cylinders. He's tough and fiesty, runs a 4.6 at 253 and was the guy everybody on that team looked up to including the coaching staff. And he has never played with a real QB.

This guy has Patriot written all over him.

Isnt he pretty much considered a blocking TE? Not that there is anything wrong with that at all, but wouldn't he fit more as a TE2 on the pats rather than the featured TE?

Back