2020 Draft

I would expect that the draft will go back to old style with teams calling in from their offices and picks just being posted, no dog and pony shows, no audience, just a lonely commish announces the picks to empty space.

Well, Goodell can take solace in knowing that at least he won't be getting booed by a huge audience.

I really don't think it is a good idea to mortgage the future in order to pay TFB, or anyone else for that matter. Look at the dead cap for TFB this year. Does anyone want to see dead cap hits in 2021, 2022 or 2023 for Hightower, McCourty, TFB, Cannon and anyone else we have to restructure in order to fit TFB under the cap this year. Not me. I don't make those decisions, but I don't see BB going that far away from his method of building the Pats. The bill comes due at some point. You can only get away with living off the credit card for so long. Even doing all this to keep TFB, what has the team added to make the team better than last year. They still won't be able to keep players that were key last year without paying TFB. From my view, BB is setting up for life after TFB. You can see it how you like.

I really don't think it is a good idea to mortgage the future in order to pay TFB, or anyone else for that matter. Look at the dead cap for TFB this year. Does anyone want to see dead cap hits in 2021, 2022 or 2023 for Hightower, McCourty, TFB, Cannon and anyone else we have to restructure in order to fit TFB under the cap this year. Not me. I don't make those decisions, but I don't see BB going that far away from his method of building the Pats. The bill comes due at some point. You can only get away with living off the credit card for so long. Even doing all this to keep TFB, what has the team added to make the team better than last year. They still won't be able to keep players that were key last year without paying TFB. From my view, BB is setting up for life after TFB. You can see it how you like.

Mortgage the future? They are not signing him for 10 years. lol. I hate to break this to you, but regardless of Brady, hightower and others might have to restructure anyway. Also, they are literally doing nothing to keep Brady right now, so not sure why you are so excited. I dont see how he is setting up for life after Brady though, he signed McCourty who will be gone in two years, Slater who will also probably be gone in two years, Franchised tagged a guard who they would keep even if Brady was not here. So who are they keeping exactly? Two linebackers already left today. Who is being kept?

How did you get Stidham from franchise tagging Thuney?

Because we just lost about $15 mil of salary cap. Added onto the DMC signing.

As of right now, the most we can pay Brady is about $10 mil, give or take. BB can get about $13 mil by cutting Hightower and Cannon, but the rest would have to come from phoney baloney extensions that just push the money onto future year's caps. Like Foobahl said, we'd be mortgaging our future by definition (getting something we don't have money for today by promising to pay the bills in the future).

Mortgage the future? They are not signing him for 10 years. lol. I hate to break this to you, but regardless of Brady, hightower and others might have to restructure anyway. Also, they are literally doing nothing to keep Brady right now, so not sure why you are so excited. I dont see how he is setting up for life after Brady though, he signed McCourty who will be gone in two years, Slater who will also probably be gone in two years, Franchised tagged a guard who they would keep even if Brady was not here. So who are they keeping exactly? Two linebackers already left today. Who is being kept?

That's exactly how I see it too.

I'll get you started...BB is keeping his leaders, a very good OLine (when healthy) and a very good defense together with Winovich, Bentley and Simon ready to step in for KVN and Collins. These 2 basic things are necessary to give any young QB a foundation for the team's culture and a chance for success. Add in a horse RB and a go-to TE and that young QB has his confidence builders in place. Filling in the complementary pieces shouldn't be too hard. Replace 'young QB' with 'aging QB' in the sentence above and there's still a slight chance...
Your turn.

What qb's in this year's draft fit BB/McD?

One that has very thick skin.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Not really, they very well could have got that cap hit down easily. Still think one had nothing to do with the other as far as ...hey we need that guard lets let Brady go. Brady seems like he made this decision before that. If Brady really wanted to come back, they could have made it work. Its not that hard for them to do those things.

One that has very thick skin.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Not really, they very well could have got that cap hit down easily. Still think one had nothing to do with the other as far as ...hey we need that guard lets let Brady go. Brady seems like he made this decision before that. If Brady really wanted to come back, they could have made it work. Its not that hard for them to do those things.

It may be that what happened is TFB was telling them for a while he wasn't coming back and when they finally accepted it, they signed the hometown FAs they felt they needed to keep.

It may be that what happened is TFB was telling them for a while he wasn't coming back and when they finally accepted it, they signed the hometown FAs they felt they needed to keep.

Oh Im sure they knew long before we did, although not sure going by what Kraft said. I am sure they had to prepare for the possibility though, thats what they do. But that cap hit hurts more than just Brady not signing, they need to get a contract with him, we still need things, and Andy Dalton wont come cheap. :devil:

Brady didn't know anything until the Pats made him a low ball offer. That was just last week.

Brady didn't know anything until the Pats made him a low ball offer. That was just last week.

I do wonder what was the offer? We will probably never know the full details but it would be fascinating to find out one day

He put his house up for sale and handed off his charity long before last week. The appearance to me is he was playing hardball or never intended to resign with the Pats.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

and good for him, he has every right to.

I haven't been able to find anything on the status of Andrews. I guess no news is good news but I would think we would have heard something, anything about his status. I do think it is an area that we will have to address through the draft. And now I think LB is more of a need as well. I know we still have some talent but I wouldn't mind seeing some more depth. Patrick Queen, is a guy I would like to see in a Pats uniform.

And I know it sounds strange but I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats go after Claypool from Notre Dame. I think he could be a dangerous player lined up at TE or at WR (the dude has the speed to spread the field) he is a match up nightmare for DB's at 6-4 240 he is a match up nightmare for LB's and Safeties as well. Plus he is a solid blocker, he could possibly be used as a hybrid type of TE I suppose. Just kind of spit balling ideas at this point.

I haven't been able to find anything on the status of Andrews. I guess no news is good news but I would think we would have heard something, anything about his status. I do think it is an area that we will have to address through the draft. And now I think LB is more of a need as well. I know we still have some talent but I wouldn't mind seeing some more depth. Patrick Queen, is a guy I would like to see in a Pats uniform.

And I know it sounds strange but I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats go after Claypool from Notre Dame. I think he could be a dangerous player lined up at TE or at WR (the dude has the speed to spread the field) he is a match up nightmare for DB's at 6-4 240 he is a match up nightmare for LB's and Safeties as well. Plus he is a solid blocker, he could possibly be used as a hybrid type of TE I suppose. Just kind of spit balling ideas at this point.

Doesn't sound strange to me. I would like a repeat of 2010, draft 2 TEs, one a big blocker and receiver, and the other a shifty smaller h-back flex receiving TE. Not going to get another Gronk/Hernandez duo of course, but two TEs like that will do wonders for our WR corps.

I think last week Andrews said he was going to play.

EDIT: https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/andrews-trending-towards-playing-in-2020

Back