2022 Rookie Camp, OTAs, Mini Camp, Mandatory Mini Camp And Training Camp

I believe last year in this new 3 game preseason model, this second game was the game where the 1's stayed in into the 3rd quarter. I really hope that is the case. As nice as it was to watch Patriots football again last week, there was less to glean from it without all the 1's.

My memory of last year could be faulty though.
Assuming 1s play, you have to leave them in until they have a solid lead. They're playing against 2s and 3s, so...

I thought it was a typically comprehensive Lazar article, but I didn't particularly like: "Sam Roberts and Jeremiah Pharms need big preseason games to make the team."

One of those things was not like the other, Evan.

Pharms showed absolutely nothing that I could detect while Roberts, raw as he is, made his presence felt with a pretty interesting debut. He's tall with long arms and showed a bit of a Barmore-esque ability to swim past blockers. He had 6 tackles, 5 pressures, drew a hold and blocked a FG, which is a shit ton of production from an IDL. He also gave Evan Neal some problems when they squared off. If you didn't already know which guy was a 7th overall 'Bama Tide standout and which was a D2 nobody from Sam Houston State then you might have gotten it wrong. Big Sam had a ton of snaps and I didn't notice his tongue hanging at any point. I'm not saying he makes the 53, but he's earned a long look and then we'll see where we're at.
Roberts has talent, but, needs to learn how to finish plays/wrap up the sack better. He definitely has decent to good (or higher) potential though.

I believe last year in this new 3 game preseason model, this second game was the game where the 1's stayed in into the 3rd quarter. I really hope that is the case. As nice as it was to watch Patriots football again last week, there was less to glean from it without all the 1's.

My memory of last year could be faulty though.
Let’s hope it is game 3 of preseason that 1’s (at least the offense) gets a lot of time
don’t want to risk injuries in a preseason game but the O appears to need the work
see how they look this week in practice

Why does he look like the middle 8 inches of him is missing?

He's what you might call squatty.

Still, if you told me that we were keeping him and helping Ferentz get started in his coaching career, I'd be OK with the concept.

Russey seems tough enough and gets some push. He gets out over his skis and isn't particularly quick, but we've been working with Ferentz for
what seems like 5 years and he still gets physically overwhelmed at least once a game. I'm trying to be polite, but I think we can do better than him.

Still, I'd feel better if one of the other young guys shows the ability to play Center. Seems like we have too many Guards only types.

My boy Drew Desjarlais played much better versus Carolina, despite drawing a false start, but with Hambright doing OK at G and T and draft pick Chasen Hines getting untracked I can't see him sticking. Ah, well. I've been wrong before. Even Will Sherman finally showed some signs of life at Guard. We've got too many guys at approximately the same level to sort it out and I'd rather see any one of them than Russey, but.......he seems to be getting all the backup snaps behind Andrews and has an edge to win a job.

Something has got to give up front. I wish we could move Wynn's contract, because I want Onwenu to settle at RT permanently. He's simply better there than inside.

It's a good situation overall.

He's what you might call squatty.

Still, if you told me that we were keeping him and helping Ferentz get started in his coaching career, I'd be OK with the concept.

Russey seems tough enough and gets some push. He gets out over his skis and isn't particularly quick, but we've been working with Ferentz for
what seems like 5 years and he still gets physically overwhelmed at least once a game. I'm trying to be polite, but I think we can do better than him.

Still, I'd feel better if one of the other young guys shows the ability to play Center. Seems like we have too many Guards only types.

My boy Drew Desjarlais played much better versus Carolina, despite drawing a false start, but with Hambright doing OK at G and T and draft pick Chasen Hines getting untracked II can't see him sticking. Ah, well. I've been wrong before. Even Will Sherman finally showed some signs of life at Guard. We've got too many guys at approximately the same level to sort it out and I'd rather see any one of them than Russey, but.......he seems to be getting all the backup snaps behind Andrews and has an edge to win a job.

Something has got to give up front. I wish we could move Wynn's contract, because I want Onwenu to settle at RT permanently. He's simply better there than inside.

It's a good situation overall.
I personally would take a 2025 7th rounder for Wynn. Just get him and his cap hit off the team. He can't stay healthy and he is not a starting tackle in the NFL.

Back