A new message

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
This all really bothers me more than it should.

I spend a lot of time, and I mean a lot, trying to do things for this board. I won't get into specifics, but much of it isn't really noticeable on the main board unless it is a new feature.

Why do I do it? Is it because of all the money I am making? No, there is not a single advertisement anywhere on these sites (and that may not always be the case). In fact, I spend my own money for this site. That's not a solicitation for a donation or anything, just a fact.

So why do I it? It's selfish really. Everything I do is to try and make Patriots Planet as fun a community as possible. I take great satisfaction in implementing a new feature that people like, or seeing new users come in and seeing how their fresh personalities mix with everyone else. Seeing a new user become entrenched as a regular. Seeing all the different personalities on this site mix with each other and some of the great humor and intelligence that comes through. These kinds of things are my motivation.

There are a lot of things in my personal life that aren't so great right now. Patriots Planet has always been a place I could come to and get a laugh and escape temporarily from real life.

Until recently.

As I said in the new rules post, a lot of it may seem a little draconian to you but most of what has been said by everyone in the last couple of days is sound and fury signifying nothing.

All we are really ASKING of the membership here is to stop the repeated nasty or snide remarks to other regulars.

That's it.

Is that really a lot to ask?

We aren't looking to change anything else. People seem to be walking on eggshells that if they speak out, they will get banned. We have never been about that. This board's policies have always been mostly set by the membership at large, so feedback is welcomed. You have to keep in mind though that sometimes a significant minority needs to be protected as well. I NEVER enjoy banning someone, even if they are the lowest of the low trolls that deserve it.

Anyway, this small request is what all this nonsense really boils down to. I think, and I think the majority of members agree, that this is a very reasonable and small request. For now, ignore everything else that has taken place and been said and instead ask yourselves if you can still have fun on the board following that small request. I'll post it again, because this is all that really matters:

All we are really ASKING of the membership here is to stop the repeated nasty or snide remarks to other regulars.

That's it.

Is that really too much to ask?

Input from ALL of the membership is welcomed either publicly or privately.

UT, it's not too much to ask. And I do appreciate all that you do for the site. I may not be the best at expressing that appreciation sometimes, but it is recognized and you should know that.

That being said, yes, I AM walking on eggshells with this new rule. I called Lavin a labia and banished. That's a fact, that's all it took under the new rules. I know you are between a rock and a hard place on this issue. I know you can't please everyone, so you try to please the majority. I know all of this. I also know that I am in the minority who doesn't mind when people get into pissing matches with one another. I get a kick out of it. I also don't usually attack people without provocation. I'm sorry, but Jimmy boy had it coming. He's a stain.

I'm not trying to make things more difficult for you. If I am, I certainly apologize. I'm not trying to win the hearts of the mods here, because the new rules dictate my demise. I mean, how do I know who I can call a "stain" or not? How do I differentiate betweena personal attack and a playful jab? For God's sakes, Bru got sent here because he called Jimmy boy sanctimonious. That's retarded.

Thanks for taking the time to visit us assclowns over here. It's nice to know somebody cares about the bad people.

Well, the purpose of this thread was not to really argue over what has happened so far, but more as to find out if anyone really thinks that this is an unreasonable request.

But addressing some of what you said anyway I think in your case it seemed to us that you were intentionally thumbing your nose at the request and at us. That may or may not be the case, but it is what it seemed like, and that is why the hammer came down so hard so fast.

In general (meaning this is not directed specifically at you Spinal) I think the main point of the request is REPEATED nasty or snide remarks. If you disagree with someone, then by all means, disagree with them, but you can get your point across a lot better by arguing the issue rather than repeatedly calling someone out.

You seem to be the most level headed of the mods, so I can respect where you are coming from. Your "walking on egg shells" thing is a great comparison, though, at least that's how I feel.

Undertaker #59 said:
Well, the purpose of this thread was not to really argue over what has happened so far, but more as to find out if anyone really thinks that this is an unreasonable request.

But addressing some of what you said anyway I think in your case it seemed to us that you were intentionally thumbing your nose at the request and at us. That may or may not be the case, but it is what it seemed like, and that is why the hammer came down so hard so fast.

In general (meaning this is not directed specifically at you Spinal) I think the main point of the request is REPEATED nasty or snide remarks. If you disagree with someone, then by all means, disagree with them, but you can get your point across a lot better by arguing the issue rather than repeatedly calling someone out.

UT, it is not an unreasonable request. However, it was not presented as a "request", but rather as new rules. There is a big difference between asking someone to cut the crap and imposing a new set of rules that will ultimately result in your demise. I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, I would have taken to it a lot better if I was simply asked to stop badgering Jimmy boy. Instead, I log in yesterday and find that I am no longer allowed to call ANYONE out for ANY reason (unless of course they are a moronic fan of another team trying to cause trouble).

I'm not arguing with you UT. I truly do have a lot of respect for you and the other mods. Like I said previously, you can't please everyone, so you try to please as many as possible. I totally understand that, doesn't mean I have to like it.

To answer the ultilmate question on this thread: YES, it unreasonable to ask someone to NEVER badger any member of the board ever again. Sooner or later, a situation like the Lavin/ Wyo incident is going to come about. And I'm not going to be able to resist calling Lavin a pussy because of it. I'm just using this as an example because it is freshest in everyone's mind. The point is, sometimes threads are going to go south, for whatever reason. Someone just might be having a bad day, or someone might take something to heart that was not intended to be taken that way. Either way you look at it, confrontation and name calling is inevitable to some degree. If you apply the rules evenly, and without bias, I'll have lots of friends to talk to in here before too long.

Point is, you guys did not request that the badgering stop, you mandated it and enforced it with an iron fist. There is a big difference there.

Spinal Tap said:
UT, it is not an unreasonable request. However, it was not presented as a "request", but rather as new rules. There is a big difference between asking someone to cut the crap and imposing a new set of rules that will ultimately result in your demise. I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, I would have taken to it a lot better if I was simply asked to stop badgering Jimmy boy. Instead, I log in yesterday and find that I am no longer allowed to call ANYONE out for ANY reason (unless of course they are a moronic fan of another team trying to cause trouble).

I'm not arguing with you UT. I truly do have a lot of respect for you and the other mods. Like I said previously, you can't please everyone, so you try to please as many as possible. I totally understand that, doesn't mean I have to like it.

To answer the ultilmate question on this thread: YES, it unreasonable to ask someone to NEVER badger any member of the board ever again. Sooner or later, a situation like the Lavin/ Wyo incident is going to come about. And I'm not going to be able to resist calling Lavin a pussy because of it. I'm just using this as an example because it is freshest in everyone's mind. The point is, sometimes threads are going to go south, for whatever reason. Someone just might be having a bad day, or someone might take something to heart that was not intended to be taken that way. Either way you look at it, confrontation and name calling is inevitable to some degree. If you apply the rules evenly, and without bias, I'll have lots of friends to talk to in here before too long.

Point is, you guys did not request that the badgering stop, you mandated it and enforced it with an iron fist. There is a big difference there.

One thing I never understood. The mods have said they had several PM's about problems on the board. If I was one of the problems, why did I not receive one PM from a moderator? You would think that they would do that before coming down so hard on a select few.

UT and Bideau seem like reasonable mods, and I have faith that both of them will help find a happy medium here. I have no faith whatsoever in the others, to be honest. Hopefully reasonable thinkers will win the day and end all of this.

Bruschi 3:16 said:
You seem to be the most level headed of the mods, so I can respect where you are coming from. Your "walking on egg shells" thing is a great comparison, though, at least that's how I feel.

This isn't about comparing the mods either. We are all united on this. You have been one of the biggest instigators on this board and I have spoken to you several times in threads about your behavior, yet you never seemed to comprehend what I am trying to tell you.

The easiest thing all along would have been just to ban you months ago. If we were even close to what you have accused us all of being repeatedly, that would have happened.

But again, that is not what this thread is about. This thread is about one simple question.

Undertaker #59 said:
This isn't about comparing the mods either. We are all united on this. You have been one of the biggest instigators on this board and I have spoken to you several times in threads about your behavior, yet you never seemed to comprehend what I am trying to tell you.

The easiest thing all along would have been just to ban you months ago. If we were even close to what you have accused us all of being repeatedly, that would have happened.

But again, that is not what this thread is about. This thread is about one simple question.

I answered the question. Any response?

I think that it can be fun to be a wise-ass, to take pot-shots at others, to try and evoke a response, do some fencing.

To do so with only words in a messageboard setting (smilies and/or pics posted included not withstanding) can be a challange.

Intonation of voice and expressions of face that would be evident if the exchange were made in a real-time, face-to-face exchange (like at a Tailgating experience) could make all the difference in the recipient's interpretation.

It can be fun to try and be clever at someone else's expense when the fun can be shared by all, especially by the recipient. But when it gets too personal, words can be misunderstood and can become interpreted as no fun at all.

I've seen words being used to express opinions in this board that are not clever and are not fun at all. Some have been downright degrading to the entire board not just for "the recipient" of the "opinion".

It seems to me to engage someone for "sport" with words in an anonymous environment created for the purpose of the discussion of a shared experience (a liking/love of Patriots football) should presume the responsibility of civility on the part of the participants.

At least some members of this board show up with their legal names as their Member names under which to render their opinions and comments. [RoadGrader is not my legal name]

Opinions are one thing, but bringing personal animosity, snideness, meaness and possibly your own misery into your exchange with others is wrong in this setting.

Doesn't mean people can't disagree, but why wallow about by being disagreeable?

You know it and I'll say it.

Spinal Tap said:

I think the phrase "NO EXCEPTIONS" pretty much sums it up.

You waited only several hours before completely ignoring the posted rules to let us know how much you "respect" those rules, and by extension- us.

Then when formally warned that you just violated the new rules you again showed the level of respect you have by mocking the warning.

So, why don't you tell us exactly how much impact the new rules would have if we let you do whatever the hell you wanted withing a few short hours of posting them?

None. Zero. Zed.

A moderator would have to be a complete idiot to just sit there and let you get away with that.

Newsflash: none of us are.

I haven't read a single thing that makes me think that putting you here was the wrong thing to do.

Undertaker #59 said:

I'm not trying to play one of you vs. another, just telling you how I feel. I just hope you have the ability to police this board with your new rules and not just selectively enforce them. This is what usually happens on message boards, fwiw.

One thing I never understood. The mods have said they had several PM's about problems on the board. If I was one of the problems, why did I not receive one PM from a moderator?

You do a good job of asking probing questions, you really do.

:rolleyes:

I think all of your questions can be answered by simply reviewing previous posts on the topic or having a clue to begin with.

Next question?

Hawg73 said:
You do a good job of asking probing questions, you really do.

:rolleyes:

I think all of your questions can be answered by simply reviewing previous posts on the topic or having a clue to begin with.

Next question?

Hawg

I don't remember asking you anything.

Hawg73 said:
I think the phrase "NO EXCEPTIONS" pretty much sums it up.

You waited only several hours before completely ignoring the posted rules to let us know how much you "respect" those rules, and by extension- us.

Then when formally warned that you just violated the new rules you again showed the level of respect you have by mocking the warning.

So, why don't you tell us exactly how much impact the new rules would have if we let you do whatever the hell you wanted withing a few short hours of posting them?

None. Zero. Zed.

A moderator would have to be a complete idiot to just sit there and let you get away with that.

Newsflash: none of us are.

I haven't read a single thing that makes me think that putting you here was the wrong thing to do.

Hawg, the last thing I am going to do is kiss your ass in this forum. You are becoming more and more like No Respect each and every day. You should take a step back and re-read what you post. Most of it is condescending and leads me to believe that you are on a power trip.

I haven't read one thing that makes me think you did the RIGHT thing by putting me here. You've made no reasonable points about where the line is drawn. So I guess we can both agree to disagree on that one.

Like I said, I'd rather not be a part of a forum that does not condone free speach. The assclown forum is more my style. Thanks for the "digs" NR.

One thing I never understood.

It's interesting that nobody else here 'doesn't understand' why bad things happen to them (other than Spinal - who understands, but just disagrees with our stance).

Several folks have been pretty damn patient with you (UT himself being a saint) and it's pretty obvious that talking in circles just isn't going to get the job done. If you want to continue to blame the moderators for running a concentration camp, have yourself a good old time.

NEWSFLASH: It's not you: it's the rest of the world.

Spinal Tap said:
Hawg, the last thing I am going to do is kiss your ass in this forum. You are becoming more and more like No Respect each and every day. You should take a step back and re-read what you post. Most of it is condescending and leads me to believe that you are on a power trip.

Some of your points have been pretty salient ones, Spinal. But you're way off base here. NR acted alone and without support from the moderator team and was derided by most of the board.

The last time Annihilus checked, Hawg was still a respected member here and has the full support of the rest of the moderation team.

You've made a big leap and drawn a very incorrect conclusion.

Annihilus said:
It's interesting that nobody else here 'doesn't understand' why bad things happen to them (other than Spinal - who understands, but just disagrees with our stance).

Several folks have been pretty damn patient with you (UT himself being a saint) and it's pretty obvious that talking in circles just isn't going to get the job done. If you want to continue to blame the moderators for running a concentration camp, have yourself a good old time.

NEWSFLASH: It's not you: it's the rest of the world.

Don't put words in my mouth, Annihilus. Now, I do understand what they are saying, I just wanted some clarification on points (the elimination of my URL site as an example). I don't agree with the draconian nature of this board all of a sudden, but I'll have to live with it until you realize your entire board membership will be in here with us if you adhere to the new policy. Like said above, I respect UT as a moderator and don't mean to upset him in any way, shape, or form, but I won't kiss anyone's ass.

Annihilus said:
Some of your points have been pretty salient ones, Spinal. But you're way off base here. NR acted alone and without support from the moderator team and was derided by most of the board.

The last time Annihilus checked, Hawg was still a respected member here and has the full support of the rest of the moderation team.

I only call 'em like I see 'em. Perception IS reality, don't forget that.

Annihilus said:

The comparison to NR is not due to his "happy" trigger finger. The comparison is due to his condescending attitude after the deed is done. The rest of the mods have been very reasonable in discussing this issue, Hawg is anything BUT reasonable on this.

The thing that sucks the most is that I HAD a lot of respect for Hawg prior to this incident. I have always thought that he was the most level headed mod out of all of you. Now, my opinion of him has changed. I'm sure he'd say the same about me. Our relationship may be irrepairable.

Spinal Tap said:
The comparison to NR is not due to his "happy" trigger finger. The comparison is due to his condescending attitude after the deed is done. The rest of the mods have been very reasonable in discussing this issue, Hawg is anything BUT reasonable on this.

The thing that sucks the most is that I HAD a lot of respect for Hawg prior to this incident. I have always thought that he was the most level headed mod out of all of you. Now, my opinion of him has changed. I'm sure he'd say the same about me. Our relationship may be irrepairable.

Hawg has never liked me (then again, he's hardly the only one) but I've learned to not worry about it. If the moderators were ranked #1 to #5, he'd be #5 to me, hardly a shock there.

Back