Active Shooter at Washington Navy Yard

cka203

GO COLTS!
Reaction score
I have several coworkers there - Please pray for the safety of all! Breaking news says multiple injuries, story still developing, we are trying to account for our people, but... no news yet...

Police respond to the report of a shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C., Sept. 16, 2013. A gunman shot and wounded multiple people Monday in a headquarters building at the US Navy Yard in Washington and is still at large, the navy said. (Photo credit: SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)
D.C. | Md. | Va. | Sports

WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — At least four people are dead and eight more are injured after at least one gunman opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday morning in Southeast D.C.

The U.S. Navy says shots were fired at 8:20 a.m. Monday at the Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters building. D.C. police say at least 10 people have been shot, including one D.C. police officer and one base officer. CBS News reports that at least three and as many as six people have been fatally shot.

Authorities have reportedly described a suspect as a bald black male dressed in all black, possibly carrying an assault rifle and a double-barreled shotgun. Law enforcement officials believe a suspect is still in the building. Officials say the shooter is “contained” but not in custody.

The Navy Yard is on lockdown and a “shelter in place” order has been issued, the Navy says. About 3,000 people work in the building, the Navy says.

The MPD officer was shot in both legs and transported to MedStar Washington Hospital Center with critical injuries.

The 11th Street Bridge is closed in both directions. M Street is closed near New Jersey Avenue near 11th Street.

Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport had a ground stop for about an hour due to “security,” according to the Federal Aviation Administration website.

Bolling Air Force Base is closed and six D.C. elementary schools are on lockdown. Amidon-Bowen Elementary School, Brent Elementary School, Eastern High School, Eliot-Hine Middle School, Jefferson Academy, Tyler Elementary School, and the Van Ness Administration Building are all locked down, school officials say.

Naval Sea Systems Command is the largest of the Navy’s five system commands and accounts for a quarter of the Navy’s entire budget.

It builds, buys and maintains the Navy’s ships and submarines and their combat systems.

Police from multiple local and federal agencies were responding along with SWAT crews.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013...on-navy-yard-reports-of-multiple-people-shot/

One suspect wounded but not yet in custody.

Prayers for those innocent people killed and wounded.

No way in hell he was coming out alive. Just another Nut job that cranked.

No way in hell he was coming out alive. Just another Nut job that cranked.

Yeah guys are not usually trying to get away with it when they go these shooting sprees, its usually a suicide mission.

I wonder what his excuse might have been. Did they screw him over. Did he just snap picked the place with the most people in it.

If only there had been armed guards around then this whole catastrophe might have been averted.

My thoughts go out to the people who have been harmed by this tragedy. I don't live too far from the Navy Yard either, so I guess a lot of reports will come in later today from people that work around there.

If only there had been armed guards around then this whole catastrophe might have been averted.

My thoughts go out to the people who have been harmed by this tragedy. I don't live too far from the Navy Yard either, so I guess a lot of reports will come in later today from people that work around there.

When I was in the NAVY I was at a ship yard when the enterprise was dry docked in New Port News Virginia....there were armed guards there. We had both Marines and Navy people.

CNN is saying there were at least 3 shooters, and two of them may be on the loose.

CNN is saying there were at least 3 shooters, and two of them may be on the loose.

Thats odd....that would almost seem like a terrorist attack, not a flipped out fired worker.

Thats odd....that would almost seem like a terrorist attack, not a flipped out fired worker.

We have no idea what it was yet. There's been no speculation and no motivation and we don't know who the suspects are.

We have yet to hear from our folks there :(

Praying they are okay and will be able to contact us soon.

Anxious to find out the facts (motive, etc.).

We have yet to hear from our folks there :(

Praying they are okay and will be able to contact us soon.

Anxious to find out the facts (motive, etc.).

Any word yet? Sorry........

~Dee~

How did he get those guns past all that security. Where were the guards if it was the command building. THat building should have been heavily guarded

Just now got official confirmation that all our folks are safe. Thank God!

I still pray for those who did not get such good news :(

Back