AFC East; which team looks better to you?

Lindsey Soto on NFL Network discussing the best team in the AFC with Jim Mora the younger asked him if being the only team in the AFC with 8 wins made them the best? I love it when NE is flying under the radar.

Lindsey Soto on NFL Network discussing the best team in the AFC with Jim Mora the younger asked him if being the only team in the AFC with 8 wins made them the best? I love it when NE is flying under the radar.

The swagger and irreverence is appealing to younguns. After BB has beaten the Jets a few more times, that will change.

I agree with the first part, but as far as the second point goes, I think we're in for splits with the Jets for a while to come.

I agree with the first part, but as far as the second point goes, I think we're in for splits with the Jets for a while to come.

You do? Even with the 2011 draft picks?

You do? Even with the 2011 draft picks?

Yes, sadly. I don't think the Jets are as good as people make them out to be, but I think they're good enough and will always regard the two games against us as Superbowls.

Splits would not surprise me, even if I think we're the better team.

Yes, sadly. I don't think the Jets are as good as people make them out to be, but I think they're good enough and will always regard the two games against us as Superbowls.

Splits would not surprise me, even if I think we're the better team.

I agree, and I'm not sure it's a bad thing. I like having some competition in the AFC East to keep things sharp.

The Jets have gone from trying to copy the Patriots under Mangini to becing the "anti-Patriots" under Ryan:

- A big, brash "player's coach" who shoots his mouth off and is up and down, vs. a dour, taciturn genius who will never let the inmates run the asylum.
- A team made up of name players, big name veterans past their prime and former 1st round picks, vs. a team made up of no-names, role players, and a lot of castoffs.
- A team which consolidates draft picks to go after a few choice picks, instead of one that diversifies and builds roster depth.
- A team which overpays players and then has to reshuffle its roster from year to year vs. one which is fiscally prudent and builds for long term stability and continuity.

Ryan is a loud mouth and a braggart, but he's still a very good coach. I don't think the Jets will hold up as well as the Patriots, but I don't mind having the competition. It will be more satisfying in the end.

Probably, non-Buffalo division games are always a war. And even Buffalo is going to get theirs eventually.

But the Jets are primed for a letdown year in 2011. I'm sure their Vegas O/U is going to be around 10.5 and they won't sniff that number. I've been positively Nostradam-esque at pinpointing teams who ride the wave of good fortune to higher win totals and higher expectations only to flop the following season.

Mortgage your house and take the under. You can thank me later.

FO gives its current predictions for conference and SB winners. Philly is way out in front in the NFC and the Pats biggest hurdle is the Steelers in the AFC. The NFC has definitely improved their position in the balance of power with the AFC. And this is a way better position than I ever expected for the Pats going into the season.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> <table class="stats" border="2" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>Team</th><th>Conf App</th><th>Conf Win</th><th>SB Win</th></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">PHI</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">54.6%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">32.6%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">18.5%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">NE</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">47.4%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">26.5%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">14.2%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">PIT</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">45.2%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">24.6%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">13.9%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">GB</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">41.9%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">22.5%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">11.7%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">ATL</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">48.9%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">24.0%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">10.7%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">BAL</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">32.6%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">15.5%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">7.3%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">NYJ</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">32.3%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">15.3%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">6.5%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">NYG</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">17.7%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">8.7%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">4.3%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">NO</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">16.9%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">6.7%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">2.8%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">SD</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">12.0%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">5.4%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">2.4%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">TEN</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">9.6%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">4.7%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">2.4%</td></tr> <tr><td class="po::confresult">IND</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">11.7%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">5.0%</td><td class="po::confresult" align="right">2.2%</td></tr></tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

I agree, and I'm not sure it's a bad thing. I like having some competition in the AFC East to keep things sharp.

The Jets have gone from trying to copy the Patriots under Mangini to becing the "anti-Patriots" under Ryan:

- A big, brash "player's coach" who shoots his mouth off and is up and down, vs. a dour, taciturn genius who will never let the inmates run the asylum.
- A team made up of name players, big name veterans past their prime and former 1st round picks, vs. a team made up of no-names, role players, and a lot of castoffs.
- A team which consolidates draft picks to go after a few choice picks, instead of one that diversifies and builds roster depth.
- A team which overpays players and then has to reshuffle its roster from year to year vs. one which is fiscally prudent and builds for long term stability and continuity.

Ryan is a loud mouth and a braggart, but he's still a very good coach. I don't think the Jets will hold up as well as the Patriots, but I don't mind having the competition. It will be more satisfying in the end.

The AFC East often comes down to the last game of the season. The JEST look like they might be able to take it to the wire this year. I like the competition. It makes for a better team.

The Patriots look like the better team right now. although the Jets have won their last 4 games, they have not been playing well at all. sloppy/penalties and some god awful time management decisions. the Jets will have to step up their game this month because the way they've been playing wont cut it against the Steelers and the Patriots.

The AFC East often comes down to the last game of the season. The JEST look like they might be able to take it to the wire this year. I like the competition. It makes for a better team.

The Pats have played the Jets, Colts, Ravens, Steelers and Chargers. Those are likely to be the other AFC playoff teams.

The Pats have played the Jets, Colts, Ravens, Steelers and Chargers. Those are likely to be the other AFC playoff teams.

I didn't mean this year specifically, but every year in general. This year has been a tough schedule, but my point is that facing better teams in your division, year after year, make the team better. I guess I was a little vague.

From Jeff Howe. He posted this yesterday. If it's already up, my apologies.

The Jets already have the edge on the head-to-head tiebreaker with the Patriots, based on their Week 2 victory in New Jersey, so that makes this game just a bit more important for New England. If the Jets win next week, they'll have a one-game edge on the Patriots in the standings, and they'll lock up the tiebreaker, meaning the Patriots have to finish the season with more wins than the Jets to take the division. Under that scenario, the Patriots would have to win their last four regular-season games and hope the Jets finish no better than 2-2.
But if the Patriots win next week, they'll hold a one-game edge on the Jets in the standings, and if the two teams finish the regular season with the same record, the tiebreaking scenarios are a little more complicated. Since head-to-head would be a wash, the next tiebreaker is the division record, and both teams would be 3-1 against AFC East teams if the Patriots win next week.
Then it shifts to common opponents (Ravens, Steelers, Browns, Bengals, Packers, Vikings, Bears, Lions), of which the Patriots currently hold a 5-1 record against the Jets' 4-2 mark. From there, the tiebreakers go to AFC record, strength of victory, strength of schedule and a bunch of other complicated procedures.
http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/patriot...on-dec-6-will-pave-the-paths-to-playoffs.html

NY Post gives a rundown of the teams the Jests have beaten and their losing records.

The Jets 9-2 feels a lot more solid than their 8-3 in 2008.
"I don't like to compare teams or years, but I can tell you when you see a team come together like this one has, you know it and you feel it," team owner Woody Johnson told to The Post by phone on Friday. "We all feel that this team has something special going for it."
There are detractors, of course. There always are when it comes to the Jets, who haven't been the most trustworthy team for their fans.
The Jets will be stepping up in class next Monday night when they play the 9-2 Patriots. That game will tell us everything we need to know about the Jets, who to date have been playing survive-and-advance against the dregs of the league.
Consider this: During the Jets' current four-game winning streak, the combined record of their victims is 11-31. The combined record of the last six teams they have beaten is a ghastly 19-53. None of those six teams has a winning record.
The Jets have played three teams with a winning record this season, Baltimore (7-3), New England (9-2) and Green Bay (7-3) and have beaten only the Patriots out of that group.
The combined record of their final five opponents is 30-21. The remaining schedule after the road game against the Patriots includes a game at Pittsburgh (7-3) and a game at Chicago (7-3).

Johnson, for one, believes these Jets have the chops to finish the job, unlike that 2008 team.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets...won_fold_3EoYOC7NXXdEJ3xKlfrQpK#ixzz16g4ZeDNB

Back