Alk's European Vacation (advice needed)

That's incredible. I hadn't realised we were that far North.

I know, it's always surpising. You can see it on this flat map. We're not very far from the Arctic circle at 66 north.

The US is quite far south, I mean the very Southern tip of Spain is the same latitude as southern Virginia.

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 10.42.55.png

We're the same latitude pretty much as Moscow up here. We really should be buried in snow from October to April when you look at it. Occasionally, as you know in some winters, we do get those huge air masses down from the North and they shut the UK and Ireland completely! We can't cope with it.

Got into Copenhagen fairly late last night. Today was a pretty low-key day. Went to a Midsummer's celebration in Helsingborg. Tomorrow we will take a ferry back over to Helsingør, Denmark for the day.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1119996673.jpg
    Snapchat-1119996673.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230623_141110.jpg
    20230623_141110.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230623_141443.jpg
    20230623_141443.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Hooray! I'd love a Tuborg now, I think i'll head out to the store to get some.

Danish style hot dogs are as simple as hell. Many of them will have crispy fried onions with them.

Hooray! I'd love a Tuborg now, I think i'll head out to the store to get some.

Danish style hot dogs are as simple as hell. Many of them will have crispy fried onions with them.
They didn't offer the onions at this stand. I just ordered what the others around me were getting. Now the Swedish hot dog on the other hand...

Snapchat-644877410.jpg

He's hot doggin it thru Europe.
This was totally unplanned. I wanted to have one in Iceland because I had heard so much about them and now everywhere I go all I hear about is hot dogs. 😂 I've also had more black licorice ice cream than I should have.

Today we made a day trip to Helsingborg, Sweden where we visited the Kärnan castle tower and climbed up to the top. Then we took a quick walk around downtown. After that we hopped on a ferry over to Helsingør, Denmark. While we were over there we walked around the outside of Kronborg Castle which was the setting of Hamlet. We opted not to pay to go in and just took a short walk around it then checked out the downtown and headed back to the house. Tomorrow we head to Lyseskil to meet up with our son and the dancing group for what will probably be the most emotional day of our trip.

Attachments

• 20230624_231309.jpg
    20230624_231309.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230624_231628.jpg
    20230624_231628.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230624_231427.jpg
    20230624_231427.jpg
    746.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230624_231539.jpg
    20230624_231539.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 3
Got into Copenhagen fairly late last night. Today was a pretty low-key day. Went to a Midsummer's celebration in Helsingborg. Tomorrow we will take a ferry back over to Helsingør, Denmark for the day.
how was the...airport... :coffee:

:rofl:

I know, it's always surpising. You can see it on this flat map. We're not very far from the Arctic circle at 66 north.

The US is quite far south, I mean the very Southern tip of Spain is the same latitude as southern Virginia.

View attachment 17259

We're the same latitude pretty much as Moscow up here. We really should be buried in snow from October to April when you look at it. Occasionally, as you know in some winters, we do get those huge air masses down from the North and they shut the UK and Ireland completely! We can't cope with it.
I can see my house from there.

. Tomorrow we head to Lyseskil to meet up with our son and the dancing group for what will probably be the most emotional day of our trip.
Have a great day.

Cheers

Cheers

My wife announced yesterday that she and my daughter have decided to go to Ireland for a week this fall.
I told her that she's not going to Reno with me for my reunion with my military service buds. Especially my final tour of the Kit Cat Ranch.

I've been following this adventure of your's Alk. Never been to Europe and always wanted to go. Spent four years in SE Asia getting R&R in Australia, Hong Kong, Singpore, Bangkok, Japan, and the Philippines.

Simple question. Are the Europeans friendly towards Americans??

My wife announced yesterday that she and my daughter have decided to go to Ireland for a week this fall.
I told her that she's not going to Reno with me for my reunion with my military service buds. Especially my final tour of the Kit Cat Ranch.

I've been following this adventure of your's Alk. Never been to Europe and always wanted to go. Spent four years in SE Asia getting R&R in Australia, Hong Kong, Singpore, Bangkok, Japan, and the Philippines.

Simple question. Are the Europeans friendly towards Americans??

I can talk for Ireland BigKen when I say that Americans have always been and will always be welcomed warmly here. We look at Americans like our kin and they do the same with us. There is a connection there and your wife will see it when she comes. The US flag is very common here, flown along the Irish flag and European one around the country.

0_gettyimages-838108922-612x612.jpg

Just tell her and your daughter to avoid the weekend around the 26th August as Notre Dame are playing Navy in Dublin in the College Football Classic and 40,000 Americans are travelling over for the game so hotel prices and flights will be through the roof.

I can talk for Ireland BigKen when I say that Americans have always been and will always be welcomed warmly here. We look at Americans like our kin and they do the same with us. There is a connection there and your wife will see it when she comes. The US flag is very common here, flown along the Irish flag and European one around the country.

0_gettyimages-838108922-612x612.jpg

Just tell her and your daughter to avoid the weekend around the 26th August as Notre Dame are playing Navy in Dublin in the College Football Classic and 40,000 Americans are travelling over for the game so hotel prices and flights will be through the roof.

Back