All I hear is crickets out of Foxboro

Nomadic Logic

Reaction score
Archuleta? Gone.

Randle El? Gone.

Bryant? Gone.

Jurevicius? Gone.

Chavous? Gone.

These are all players I think could have helped out in New England without demanding huge money. Now I trust BB and Pioli as much as anyone, but I expected more movement. Are we really going to depend that heavily on the draft?

Randel El just signed for ridiculous money. No way the Pats were going to sign him at this kind of money. If they did, then you can say bye bye to Branch next season.

from ESPN.com

Former Steelers wide receiver Antwaan Randle El has agreed to a six-year, $31 million deal with the Washington Redskins, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com's Michael Smith. The deal includes $10 million in bonuses.

The Pats have rarely every jumped into free agency during the first few days. Those days tend to consist of teams reaching and overpaying for FA's. They may not have been demanding huge money relative to other contracts, but the Pats likely had set values on these guys that they knew others teams would top.

The market will get much slower in the coming days and then the Pats may go shopping. Even though the cap has increased, it still has to be managed carefully. Remember, they've got Seymour, Branch, Graham and Koppen waiting in the wings for new contracts along with those they may try to keep this year including Adam, Willie and Stephen Neal.

Patriots4ever said:
Randel El just signed for ridiculous money. No way the Pats were going to sign him at this kind of money. If they did, then you can say bye bye to Branch next season.

from ESPN.com
..and Archuleta signed the richest contract ever for a safety, but players will play for less if they have a shot at a ring.

I just expected to see something by now.

I don't think BB/Pioli have ever worked that way. They never go for the "big money" guys; or if they do, they get him quietly - like with Corey Dillon.

I used to worry but not anymore. Something will happen between now and August.

Nomadic Logic said:
..and Archuleta signed the richest contract ever for a safety, but players will play for less if they have a shot at a ring.

That sad part is that Adam Archuleta couldn't hold Ed Reed's jock. Don't get upset when bad teams sign mediocre players to ridiculous contracts. That's why they are bad teams.

Patriots playing the waiting game
Tom Casale, Patriots Football Weekly
3/13/2006

Teams like the Redskins, Browns, Vikings and Rams made some early noise in free agency. The Patriots, however, have been quiet as a mouse so far. If history is any indicator, we shouldn't be all that surprised by the Patriots slow start in the free agency process.

Free agency started off with a bang this weekend. A number of teams were active bringing in players for interviews and signing new additions to their squads. Much to nobody’s surprise, the Patriots were not one of those teams.

The Patriots plan over the years has been to lay low and wait for the free agency frenzy to die down before they enter into the fray. This year appears to be no different as the team came away from the first weekend signing nobody while losing two players of their own – with others possibly following them out the door shortly.

Receiver Andre’ Davis, who caught nine passes in a limited role last year with the Patriots signed with AFC East rival Buffalo. Davis reportedly signed a one-year deal worth $1.3 million. His signing may be a prelude to the departure of Eric Moulds – a player the Patriots could be interested in if he’s released.

The Redskins signed pretty much every player available this weekend. The team added receivers Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El, along with former Patriots tight end Christian Fauria to help bolster their offense. The Redskins also signed former Rams safety Adam Archuleta, as they have been by far the most aggressive team coming out of the gate in free agency.

Fauria played four years for the Patriots but was relegated to being the third tight behind Daniel Graham and Ben Watson this past year. He will be sorely missed in the locker room because of his great quotes and positive attitude but at 34-years old, the Patriots weren’t about to get in a bidding war for a player who caught a career-low eight passes for 57 yards last season.

The most interesting news of the weekend surrounded David Givens. Cleveland Browns.com reported the team had signed Givens about 20 minutes before the start of free agency. The story ended up being a hoax but that wasn’t the end of the receiver’s roller coaster weekend.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reported on Sunday that Givens canceled a trip to Houston because he re-signed with the Patriots. The story was even posted here at Patriots.com. However, Givens’ agent Brad Blank refuted the story, saying Givens was on his way to Houston to meet with the Texans. Houston reportedly offered Givens $18.5 million over five years but the receiver is looking for a contract in the $25 million range. He also met with the Dolphins and will fly to Tennessee to talk with the Titans on Monday.

There’s been no word as of Monday on the status of kicker Adam Vinatieri. Ryan Longwell signed with the Vikings for $2 million a year and Vinatieri is expected to receive a higher offer than that. Just how much higher has yet to be determined.

Tom Ashworth visited Tampa Bay this weekend and is also meeting with the Dolphins on Monday. He’s expected to consider all of his options and make a decision on his future in the next few days.

As of right now, the Patriots are losing more players than they are bringing in but that won’t be the case for much longer. Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli have a certain way they like to go about free agency and unless there’s a player they’re really targeting, they will sit back while teams spend enormous amounts of money early on in the process. It may not be exciting but it’s the Patriots way and based on the team’s recent success, it’s hard to argue with how they do things around here.

Ras said:
Patriots playing the waiting game
Tom Casale, Patriots Football Weekly
3/13/2006

Houston reportedly offered Givens $18.5 million over five years but the receiver is looking for a contract in the $25 million range.

:wave:

Patriots4ever said:

from ESPN.com

My co-worker the Steeler fan and I had a good discussion today about Randel-El and Givens. He was a upset that the Pits had actually let Randel-El go, but also readily admitted that there was no way that he was worth the bucks that the Skins signed him for.

I informed him of Givens being on tour and that Houston had turned him away because he reportedly wants 25 mil over 5 years.

We both agreed that Houston made a smart non-move on a #2 reciever and that Givens would probably wind up back with the Pats for about 3 to 3.5 mil.

Then we discussed how Randel-El signing with the Skins may help David Patten next season.

Duly recorded at 63 hours and 3 minutes into free agency: our first, "the sky is falling" thread. CONGRATULATIONS!

chihuahua.jpg

Aye chihuahua!!

Nomadic Logic said:

I don't think many players think about the ring anymore, or if they do it is at the end of their career and they take less money to go to/stay with a team with a chance. Today it is all about the money and I for one agree with them.

Hell I would love to see them all take less money to come to/stay with New England. Not on the same scale but I took a little less to go to my current job because I had worked there previously and knew the company and how it worked. My other choices were an established company but the rep was not as good and the one I left had lost a partner and he was the reason I was there. I find many people think I was insane for doing that but I don't think so. I work for a company with a great front office and financial security to handle down times.

I also had gone out to the highest bidder when I was younger and realized who I wanted to work for (doubling my pay rate in 2 1/2 years). I see the players doing the same thing, they are young and invincible, make your money now - get the ring later if you must.

Society today is a group of hired guns going to the highest bidder, loyalty is out the window. We would all like to be like the scene in Jerry McGuire yelling "show me the money". A NFL career is short, make it while you can and don't look back.

Okay, Kool Aid-aholics, I have a question.

I've heard people saying to be patient and that the Pats will spend to the cap, etc. I want to know who is out there that folks think will help our team.

I agree on the Moulds idea if he gets released. I think Keyshawn would be nice. Outside of those two, who would you folks like to see in a Pats uni on opening day?

I'll start with 3 LBs who would help this team immediately: Julian Peterson, Peter Boulware (who was just released), and Ray Lewis (who is being shopped for a 2nd-round draft pick it is rumored).

Vrabel's flexibility at the LB position allows the team to look at best-available inside or outside LBs on the market.

Nomadic Logic said:
Okay, Kool Aid-aholics, I have a question.

I've heard people saying to be patient and that the Pats will spend to the cap, etc. I want to know who is out there that folks think will help our team.

I agree on the Moulds idea if he gets released. I think Keyshawn would be nice. Outside of those two, who would you folks like to see in a Pats uni on opening day?

Tom Brady. (Because if he's not, then it means he's injured... and we're #$&*ed.)

But if you're talking "current non-Patriots", aside from the two you mentioned (who would add to our WR corps nicely).... probably AV coming back is the only name I think we need.

If Troy and Tim Dwight leave, some help at KR/PR as well, unless we think Bam Childress can do it. Ditto for the O-line depth if Ashworth and Neal leave, although I don't know if the big names I'm hearing floated (e.g. Runyan) are where we need to go.

I think they can get most of what they want (O-line depth, RB depth, WR youth) through the draft.

Wandering Athol said:
I'll start with 3 LBs who would help this team immediately: Julian Peterson, Peter Boulware (who was just released), and Ray Lewis (who is being shopped for a 2nd-round draft pick it is rumored).

Vrabel's flexibility at the LB position allows the team to look at best-available inside or outside LBs on the market.
Lewis wants a new deal, and big money according to reports

I agree about Vrabel but ideally he goes outside and a Ted Johnson run stuffer type comes in and Tedy B goes back to his playmaking role - not the run stopper because over a whole season he will wear out

Wandering Athol said:

Keeee REKT!

Ranked:
1) Peterson
2) Boulware
3) Lewis

Peterson in this system would be an absolute pleasure to watch. What a player that kid is...

mikiemo83 said:
I agree about Vrabel but ideally he goes outside and a Ted Johnson run stuffer type comes in and Tedy B goes back to his playmaking role - not the run stopper because over a whole season he will wear out
Is Holdman available, or are you just blowing smoke up my ass?

If Lavarr can pay back $4,000,000 to get free, could a team talk to a player like Lewis - who cutting would be a big cap hit and work a deal where he pays Team A, say the Ravens, about $4,000,000 of the $10,000,000 hit and gets traded to team B, say the Patriots, who honor the rest of the deal but add a $4,000,000 roster bonus.

I am still not a Lewis fan but he is better than Tully

Back