Alright? its almost here.

Reaction score
Alright‚ its almost here.

The STEELERS squeaked by.

The PATRIOTS dominated.

After watching the NFL Networks Game of the Week Productions‚ I came away feeling better about the STEELERS performance and less impressed with the PATRIOTS. I think it had to do more with the opponents. The Jets came across as a much more determined team than the Colts.

We have all had the chance to observe the mindset of both teams this week.
We have read adnaseum everything available leading up to THE GAME.
Both teams are extremely confident.

As the week has progressed my confidence of a STEELER win has increased .

I was wondering:

Are you PATRIOT fans more confident or less confident now as opposed to earlier in the week?

Re: Alright‚ its almost here.

SanDiegoSteeler said:
Both teams are extremely confident.

As the week has progressed my confidence of a STEELER win has increased .

I was wondering:

Are you PATRIOT fans more confident or less confident now as opposed to earlier in the week?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a hell of a lot more confident than I was earlier in the week.

It's all speculation on my part, but I feel that Belichick is still pissed off at being disrespected by the Colts and I'm sure he's reminded the team all week about the loss to your boys on Halloween. An inspired Pats team is pretty tough to beat when they're on their game.

I'm still not sure how a team that has one 30 of its last 32 games can feel disrespected, but I guess they can.

Like a lot of fans, I suppose I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic.

This is going to be a game for the ages, that's for sure. I think the Pats will win, but won't be shocked if the Steelers pull it out. Let the best team win, they both deserve to be here.

I am pretty optimistic. Belichick is chopping at the bits waiting for sunday and to play with Ben whatshisface again. The team is pissed because I can garuntee you all wee, every second they were reminded of how bad they got whooped.

I'm pretty confident. That said I won't be stunned if we lose. This game is pretty much gonna come down to who wants it more, and I think both teams REALLY want it.

BTW looks like Boston is in for a shitstorm of snow. I'll be thinking of you guys and your shovels. Beautiful 70 degree sunny day here in Vegas. :D

I've gotten more confident as the week has progressed.

I'm not sure how you could not be impressed by the Pat's performance against the Colts. Perhaps they looked less determined because the Pats pummeled them into submission. But I guess we all view things in a way that gives us more confidence in our home team.

I have to admit I've lost a bit of confidence during this week. After the Colts game I thought we pretty much were headed to Jax, and Pittsburgh was just a detour. After seeing your game against the Jets, I thought we would be able to slaughter the Steelers. But I realized that this game should be very close, and that the Steelers are nothing like the Colts and won't be pushed around. I'm still confident the Pats will win, but not by as much as I thought at the beginning of the week.

SanDiegoSteeler said:

A little less, but pretty much negligible. Very confident.

SanDiegoSteeler said:

I was wondering:

I could see this game going either way, to be honest. 14-2 and 15-1, there really isn't a big gap between the two. I could care less about Halloween though, this is a different Patriot team this time around. Or at least I hope so. :)

More Confident

Definitely more confident.

I believe the Steelers are counting on running the football. I don't believe that they are preparing an alternative strategy to pass the ball.

I feel that the Pats are going to disrupt the run (not shut it down) but pick spots for rush stopping D and put Ben R. in a position where they know he's going to pass. Here's the fundalmental point, I believe that the Pats can stop the Steeler run when they expect it. If they can accurately predict when the Steelers are going to run then they can take the initiative away from them. They will force Ben to beat them via the air.

I think the Pats are going to a game of pass setting up the run. Brady will be handed the ball to beat the Steeler defense. Dink and Dunk to get the ball off to counter the blitz and go deep when Polamalu come lurking up near the line of scrimmage. No huddle, spread, two TE, screens, flanker screens you will see them all to keep the Steelers guessing. Then you can sweep, go off tackle, sprint draw…

This is where the champions are made; can you keep your composure when what your doing (planned) is not working. The Colts folded in the second half. The Steelers could also if their ground game is not working and the pass invites disaster on every attempt.

I think that when all is said and done the mature, seasoned, poised team is going to win this game. Pats 31-10. They get up early, the hold against the run and the D either scores or sets up scores. Once behind the 8-ball Ben is going to feel the world drop on his shoulders, he won't have the composure to take it once step at a time.

Yeah, because Ben has fallen apart every time this year when the Steelers have been behind.

Oh... wait...

If the Patriots stack the box with the safeties, they WILL be beaten deep; Randall Gay is far from the best CB in the league and he can't cover Burress one-on-one. If they can stop the run without stacking the box, that changes things. I wouldn't bet for or against that happening, although Richard Seymour being out is a slight hit. Jarvis Green isn't as good against the run as Seymour is.

I can't imagine Belichick coming out passing after what happened in the last game. Maybe the dink and dunk, but the CBs are pretty sure tacklers. Sweeps and off-tackle runs almost always play into the Steelers' hands; the LBs are very quick and string out plays well.

The Steelers aren't dumb. They know the Patriots will be planning on stuffing the run and if that does happen Whisenhunt will have something ready to pass. Gay and Samuel are inexperienced and are outmatched. As long as Ben doesn't try making an unbalanced throw, with the gloves off he should have a good grip and be able to take advantage of one-on-one coverage if he gets it- or he could just tuck and run.

In the end, I look for Duce Staley to continue building on his impressive playoff record and for the D to do enough to give the offense a chance to win it in a low-scoring, weather-affected game. Steelers 20-17.

Re: More Confident

DownCape said:
Definitely more confident.

I believe the Steelers are counting on running the football. I don't believe that they are preparing an alternative strategy to pass the ball.

Honestly...I think just the opposite.

I'm of the mind that the Steelers KNOW they can run the ball... by this point in the season they should be fundamentally sound with run blocking and such.

Chances are they're working more on the play-action side of things to address New England setting up to stop the run and force Roethlisberger into lots of 3rd and longs.

As for the Patriots, they need to really concentrate on occupying the Steelers front 7 and getting some mismatches in the passing game. Protecting Brady with Dillon rushes is certainly key.

I don't think they expect to get more than 75 yards rushing with Dillon, but they do expect the threat of his runs slowing down the Steelers pass rush and giving Brady more time to throw downfield. You've got to expect a deep strike by Brady early to have the Steelers play back a little bit, followed by a series of rushes with Dillon.

The biggest keys to winning the game is going to be getting good field position and turnovers.

UConnSteelerFan said:

If the Patriots stack the box with the safeties, they WILL be beaten deep; Randall Gay is far from the best CB in the league and he can't cover Burress one-on-one.

I can't imagine Belichick coming out passing after what happened in the last game. Maybe the dink and dunk, but the CBs are pretty sure tacklers. Sweeps and off-tackle runs almost always play into the Steelers' hands; the LBs are very quick and string out plays well.

Gay and Samuel are inexperienced and are outmatched. .

Gay and Samuel are no where near the best CB tandem in the league, but they are functional in our coverage schemes. They have been getting it done since week 8 where the trench in the turf took out Law. The Patriots were Top 10 in D with them on the field. Burress is definitely a big challenge one on one with no safety support. However, the Patriots were able to shut down Harrison, Wayne & Stokley who are a slightly better trio than PB, HW & RE. So we don't need to shut them down just contain them in passing situations. If the Steelers underestimate them all the better.

Belichick/Weis will test the run and be ready with the D/D scheme which is 4-6 yd gain style offense. If the CB misses the tackle then its first down and more. Sweeps may work after your LBs are sealed due to a formation look. However, I agree the Pats are not going to run more than a couple. Cut backs between the tackles against the blitz is the best opportunity to break through.

64 minutes to go...

UConnSteelerFan said:
In the end, I look for Duce Staley to continue building on his impressive playoff record and for the D to do enough to give the offense a chance to win it in a low-scoring, weather-affected game. Steelers 20-17.

So in the spirit of the thread - are you more or less confident (or unchanged) in the Steelers than you were early in the week?

....28 minuits to go the anticipation is still there but I am surprizingly calm

is it the whiskey and beer or is it just the calm before the storm.

Lets GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My confidence level was higher earlier in the week... It's like Kez says, it's hard to believe that a 16-1 team playing at home is the underdog. I just have massive respect for the steelers. Good luck to both teams and GO PATS!!! 19 minutes to go.

PA_PATS_FAN54 said:
....28 minuits to go the anticipation is still there but I am surprizingly calm

is it the whiskey and beer or is it just the calm before the storm.

Lets GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe I should start drinking whiskey and beer cuz I'm crapping in my shorts i'm so nervous !!!!!!!

DownCape said:
Gay and Samuel are no where near the best CB tandem in the league, but they are functional in our coverage schemes. They have been getting it done since week 8 where the trench in the turf took out Law. The Patriots were Top 10 in D with them on the field. Burress is definitely a big challenge one on one with no safety support. However, the Patriots were able to shut down Harrison, Wayne & Stokley who are a slightly better trio than PB, HW & RE. So we don't need to shut them down just contain them in passing situations. If the Steelers underestimate them all the better.

Belichick/Weis will test the run and be ready with the D/D scheme which is 4-6 yd gain style offense. If the CB misses the tackle then its first down and more. Sweeps may work after your LBs are sealed due to a formation look. However, I agree the Pats are not going to run more than a couple. Cut backs between the tackles against the blitz is the best opportunity to break through.

64 minutes to go...

I'll take Burress, Randle El and Ward over that trio any day of the week and 200 times over on Sunday based on toughness alone. I love Burress' size and Randle El has developed hands of glue; he's really become a nice deep threat. And don't forget Lee Mays. He has pretty good size and he has the downfield speed; he could use better hands though.

I have yet to see anything from Gay and Samuel which would cause me any concern about throwing at them. The weather may deter throwing, however, especially the long ball. We'll see. Wilson and Harrison are among the best safety tandems so that is something to look at in the secondary.

Sweeps don't work well- the LBs, especially Farrior, are so quick to the outside they rarely are effective.

Annihilus- I was more confident once Ben decided to lose the gloves. I'm at that same level now.

Back