America says, "Hold my beer! We got this!"

They completely shut down the cities where the virus appeared. My students in SK have been affected a bit, but not as much as people in those specific cities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have a number of friends teaching there and they report the opposite. But even if some did shutdown they have been open for a quite a while and report such a low death toll.

MA basically shutdown.

There is something incongruent here.

In numbers, but not in percentage of population. Europe and Asia stopped it. Europe and Asia mandated masks and tested just about everyone and quarantined those with the virus.

The states that listened to Trump and opened early are the ones in deep shit. The ones that listened to Fauci, the CDC and everyone pretty much everyone who wasn't afraid he'd fire them if they disagreed with him are out of it. New York City had zero new cases yesterday.

Is this all a coincidence?

Trump promotes tweet claiming CDC, physicians are lying about COVID-19

President Donald Trump retweeted a post claiming the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and others are telling "outrageous lies" about the pandemic. The original tweet, from conservative podcast host Chuck Woolery, claims the lies are politically motivated and designed to keep the economy from reviving.

"The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying," Woolery, a former game show host, wrote. "The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it's all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I'm sick of it."

This is the heart of it, I suppose.

If you believe the CDC is lying, what about the WHO? The rest of the world is not having the issues we have in the states that ignored the CDC warnings and recommendations?

Our national economy is not getting better, and it is because of states that ignored the CDC.

The same WHO that swore up and down that China was completely forthright with the world that Tedros is walking back now? Disclosing that China did in fact suppress and withhold information that would have helped every nation on the globe.

Yeah, trust them.

Interesting. S. Korea has a population 10 times that of MA and didn't shut down the country, really and it seems, per capita they have far fewer deaths per day. By a lot.

I don't know what South Korea's strategy is but I did read articles that suggested that Germany's method of broad based testing and immediate admittance of anyone with warnings has having a very positive impact on mortality/infection

They completely shut down the cities where the virus appeared. My students in SK have been affected a bit, but not as much as people in those specific cities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah. I've been reading some of the recent posts re: COVID and all I can do is smh. So much bad information over last day or two in this thread.

SKorea learned a lot from MERS and instituted immediate lockdowns. Don't believe me?

https://elemental.medium.com/what-we-can-learn-from-south-koreas-coronavirus-response-97a4db5c9fef

Wuhan boarded up apartments with people in it for quarantine. Hope you had enough food and water. You ain’t getting out.

Yeah. I've been reading some of the recent posts re: COVID and all I can do is smh. So much bad information over last day or two in this thread.

SKorea learned a lot from MERS and instituted immediate lockdowns. Don't believe me?

https://elemental.medium.com/what-we-can-learn-from-south-koreas-coronavirus-response-97a4db5c9fef

Not really sure what misinformation you are referring to. If it is even, in part, a reference to my S. Korea post, it was an anecdotal post based on 11 teachers that I know in that country whose schools and business in their areas never shutdown. Nothing more.

Here is some more anecdotal evidence and it's pretty big. NH barely shutdown and we have so few deaths and the such that we have reopened almost completely in short order.

Life is good here.

MA, not so much.

Anyone care to comment on the political differences in such states with such disparities in, reporting, narratives and cases?

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Wuhan boarded up apartments with people in it for quarantine. Hope you had enough food and water. You ain’t getting out.

Australia has quarantined huge apartment complexes with armed police keeping the residents inside as well.

In June, the FDA issued guidelines for the approval of COVID-19 vaccines. In those guidelines, the agency described what safety evaluations a vaccine would need to pass and noted that a vaccine should show at least 50% efficacy in clinical trials, meaning that under perfect conditions, people who get the vaccine would be at least half as less likely to be infected with the coronavirus compared with unvaccinated people.
"This is a common guideline for flu vaccine testing from the FDA and has been shown in the past to be an effective marker for determining vaccine efficacy," Salem said.
The efficacy of "50% is lower protection than we see with some other vaccines, but reducing the case burden by 50% is still significant," Dr. Sarah George, an associate professor of infectious diseases and immunology at Saint Louis University, told Live Science in an email. "Remember, every case you stop from happening means you’ve also interrupted the transmission cycle, so [the 50% cutoff is] appropriate." With fewer people to infect, the virus cannot spread through a community as quickly; combined with other disease mitigation measures like social distancing and mask wearing, vaccines can drastically reduce the chances of an infected person passing on the virus.
Scientists can begin to assess a vaccine's efficacy in Phase 2 and Phase 3 clinical trials by monitoring how the body responds to the inoculation, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Ideally, the immune system would make neutralizing antibodies that target the SARS-CoV-2 virus and thus protect the vaccinated person, if they are ever exposed to the pathogen.
Phase 3 trials, which include hundreds to tens of thousands of volunteers, can begin to reveal differences in infection rates between vaccinated and unvaccinated people — but those trends become clearer the more people who are included in the trial, and the longer the trial lasts.
https://www.livescience.com/worst-epidemics-and-pandemics-in-history.html
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in April that a promising COVID-19 vaccine that prompts a strong immune response in Phase 2 trials could potentially be approved for emergency use without a full Phase 3 trial, Live Science previously reported. Phase 3 trials for vaccines typically last several years, according to the CDC, but given the pressing need, a coronavirus vaccine could potentially be granted emergency approval in less time, Fauci said. The trial process can also be sped up through combined trials, where several trial phases are run simultaneously.
While the idea of condensed or combined trials may seem risky, "that doesn't mean they're cutting off the follow-up of these individuals," Bottazzi said. "Importantly, beyond Phase 3 there's a clear strategy and guidance [from the FDA] on post-market surveillance," which involves monitoring people who receive an approved vaccine for infections and side effects that may not appear in clinical trials, she said.
But the fact remains that "antibody responses alone cannot be used to determine effectiveness of a vaccine and its ability to prevent infection," or to reduce the severity of infection, Salem noted. Those metrics can be calculated only through large, often lengthy, Phase 3 trials and thorough post-market surveillance.

Related: 14 Coronavirus myths busted by science

Well-designed clinical trials will tell us if a COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective, but they cannot answer one crucial question: How long will the vaccine protect a person from the virus?
Immunity to common coronaviruses, which cause symptoms of the common cold, dwindles within about one to three years, Live Science previously reported. Similarly, past studies of SARS and the coronavirus called Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) hinted that people may remain immune to the coronaviruses for at least two or three years after their initial infection. A COVID-19 vaccine should prompt a similar immune response to the natural infection, and therefore, immunity granted by the vaccine may also wane through time.
"We do not know how long that protection will last, and we probably need to look at other formulations to improve on that front" after an initial vaccine gets approved, Bottazzi said. "That's why we most likely will have first, second, third generations of vaccines."
In addition to designing vaccines that grant long-lasting immunity, developers may need to come up with different formulations for people of different demographics. For example, "separate studies in children will have to be done once we have one [vaccine] approved for adults," George said.
The first COVID-19 vaccine may not work for everyone, or may offer only partial immunity, "I think it's a good start," Bottazzi said. In the short-term, a moderately effective vaccine would prevent a subset of people from catching COVID-19 and slow viral transmission in the wider community by limiting the number of potential infections. Vaccinated people who still caught COVID-19 would likely contract a less severe illness than unvaccinated people, reducing the burden on the health care system and the mortality rate, overall, she said. And given that the long-term impacts of the infection remain unknown, a vaccine may protect people from future health complications, as well, she added.
"An effective vaccine against SAR-CoV-2 remains our greatest chance of getting COVID-19 under control and having life go back to normal," Salem said.
https://www.livescience.com/first-coronavirus-vaccine-safety.html

I have to laugh at all my FB friends from the left who are claiming that Trump's request for all the data to go some central data point in Washington would allow him to mis report the data.

ROFLROFL

I have to laugh at all my FB friends from the left who are claiming that Trump's request for all the data to go some central data point in Washington would allow him to mis report the data.

ROFLROFL

Yeah. Suddenly too much power in the hands of the federal government becomes a bad thing for them. But if it’s Bernie... yeah sure. Let’s give more control over the means of production to the federal government. What could possibly go wrong?

ROFLROFL

So if the data is not public that would prevent him from mis-reporting it?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

America says, ""Fuck it, just gimme another beer. I don't want to know what the data is. What we don't know can't hurt us. Just like breast cancer. Stop all those mammograms and there would be less women with cancer. Heart attacks, too. Colonoscopies. Diabetes. Stupid testing. Stupid masks. Hey, where the fuck is my beer?"

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

America says, ""Fuck it, just gimme another beer. I don't want to know what the data is. What we don't know can't hurt us. Just like breast cancer. Stop all those mammograms and there would be less women with cancer. Heart attacks, too. Colonoscopies. Diabetes. Stupid testing. Stupid masks. Hey, where the fuck is my beer?"

Did you sleep over MrNFLfans house?

You in the other corner of the basement?

People have already made up their minds. It dont matter if it's was false or misleading report. Your not going to change their mind.

Did you sleep over MrNFLfans house?

You in the other corner of the basement?

Clever, but can you explain to me how it is better not to have raw data made public, and how an administration cannot lie about data they will not reveal. Did you learn nothing from the NFL and football pressures that were recorded but kept from public view? I'm not saying data will be lied about, only replying to patfan64's comment that keeping data from the public means they CANNOT lie about it. I truly don't understand that logic.

The simple fact is that countries that acted immediately with strong leadership are now out of the woods. We are not. Here in the Northeast we are doing fine, but we delayed opening up, doing it slowly.

Do you really believe it is a coincidence that the states where deaths are skyrocketing are the ones that opened up the earliest and quickest with little safeguards? That the two worst states are the two that opened the earliest with no safeguards. Just wham, bam, the virus is over, ma'am. Let's get back to life as it was before COVID.

Clever, but can you explain to me how it is better not to have raw data made public, and how an administration cannot lie about data they will not reveal. Did you learn nothing from the NFL and football pressures that were recorded but kept from public view? I'm not saying data will be lied about, only replying to patfan64's comment that keeping data from the public means they CANNOT lie about it. I truly don't understand that logic.

The simple fact is that countries that acted immediately with strong leadership are now out of the woods. We are not. Here in the Northeast we are doing fine, but we delayed opening up, doing it slowly.

Do you really believe it is a coincidence that the states where deaths are skyrocketing are the ones that opened up the earliest and quickest with little safeguards? That the two worst states are the two that opened the earliest with no safeguards. Just wham, bam, the virus is over, ma'am. Let's get back to life as it was before COVID.

You’re watching the wrong news coverage. They continue to lie, get caught, and you swallow the next story hook, line, & sinker.

The request for the data to go central was in order to EXPEDITE the information - the CDC was dragging its feet and reporting innacurrately.

Look how many articles have been posted here claiming a 10fold error in infections. How many posters here have been contacted for false positive, never tested!!!!

Ya gotta wake up.

Laugh at Fox all you want. You’ll get verified facts.

2020 continues...

Unordered seeds are showing up in mailboxes around Massachusetts.
The Mass Dept. of Agriculture has issued a warning not to plant the seeds bc they may be an invasive species.

https://www.mass.gov/news/massachus...-receipt-of-any-unsolicited-packages-of-seeds

Also Great Whites are chasing people off White Horse Beach in Plymouth and off Nauset Beach off Chatham. Summer is officially here now.

2020 continues...

Unordered seeds are showing up in mailboxes around Massachusetts.
The Mass Dept. of Agriculture has issued a warning not to plant the seeds bc they may be an invasive species.

https://www.mass.gov/news/massachus...-receipt-of-any-unsolicited-packages-of-seeds

Also Great Whites are chasing people off White Horse Beach in Plymouth and off Nauset Beach off Chatham. Summer is officially here now.

White Horse is my stomping grounds!

Fvckers!

I only go in to waist, dip under, and get the fvck out ASAP though. Seals are always present on the rocky point outcropping and usually in the waters late day.

Back