Another Colts offensive lineman disagrees with Polian's criticism

I remember watching an episode of Americas game on the NFL network on the colts who won super bowl 5. Most of the episode centered around super bowl 3 which the colts had lost to the jets. I was absolutely stunned at how much the players they interviewed had allowed that disappointment to eat at them. To the point where even 30+ years later they still could not let it go.

I could not watch that and not pity those men. Not for losing, that happens to all of us at one time or another, but because they allowed that disappointment to consume them. It was hands down the most depressing of any of those episodes. It served for me a very grim reminder of whathappens to you if you are unable to let go of past disappointments

that and humor is my coping/defense mechanism. Laughter is a far more therapudic expression of emotion than sadness is.

And now Robert Mathis wants a new contract. Awww....too bad for the colts. :p

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/26/mathis-skipping-colts-otas-wants-a-new-contract/

Indianapolis Colts defensive end Robert Mathis is sitting out the Colts' organized team activities because he wants a new contract.

Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star reports that Mathis, who in the past has been an eager participant in voluntary workouts, is now staying home over his unhappiness with his deal.

But it's hard to see how Mathis has very much leverage. The Colts signed him to a front-loaded contract worth $30 million in 2006, and he still has two more seasons on that deal. He's due base salaries of $2.31 million in 2010 and $2.4 million in 2011. The whole reason teams sign players to front-loaded long-term contracts is so that they can lock a player in for affordable salaries down the road. If the team was going to agree to renegotiate down the road, there was no reason to agree to a front-loaded deal.

Good luck with that Robert. We paid you a shit ton of money at the begining of the contract. Play it out.

I'd rather not lose him, but if he thinks there is a huge market for a 240 lb DE he's out of his mind.

With the Colts having drafted Jerry Hughes, if I were Mathis I'd shut up about my contract and get my fanny moving as quickly as possible.

With the Colts having drafted Jerry Hughes, if I were Mathis I'd shut up about my contract and get my fanny moving as quickly as possible.
Considering that we might be the only team in the league where he could actually start without making the shift to linebacker in a 3-4, I'm not all that concerned.

Considering that we might be the only team in the league where he could actually start without making the shift to linebacker in a 3-4, I'm not all that concerned.

Exactly. Mathis is a fine player in your system, but I suspect the Colts could plug in Hughes and not skip a beat. Polian is the best at picking guys who can plug in and be productive in his system right away, and as good as Mathis is, Hughes is more talented and will be better in the long run.

I remember watching an episode of Americas game on the NFL network on the colts who won super bowl 5. Most of the episode centered around super bowl 3 which the colts had lost to the jets. I was absolutely stunned at how much the players they interviewed had allowed that disappointment to eat at them. To the point where even 30+ years later they still could not let it go.

I could not watch that and not pity those men. Not for losing, that happens to all of us at one time or another, but because they allowed that disappointment to consume them. It was hands down the most depressing of any of those episodes. It served for me a very grim reminder of whathappens to you if you are unable to let go of past disappointments

that and humor is my coping/defense mechanism. Laughter is a far more therapudic expression of emotion than sadness is.
Well, in fairness to them, some things mean more to some people than they do to others. Many people have an "Oh, well, it's done may as well forget it attitude" about life. It works for them. Others are deeply invested in what happens in their lives, and sadness and disappointments linger.

Neither is right or wrong, it is just how you look at life.

laughter is good, but for me as a coping mechanism it would only be denying how I really feel. I don't want to gloss over what I feel or pretend I don't by ignoring, forgetting or laughing about it. I prefer to feel intensely what I feel.

One way isn't better than the other. It's just how you are.

I am a writer, and that may be part of it. I cannot portray others' emotions on paper if I am afraid to feel them myself in real life.

Well, in fairness to them, some things mean more to some people than they do to others. Many people have an "Oh, well, it's done may as well forget it attitude" about life. It works for them. Others are deeply invested in what happens in their lives, and sadness and disappointments linger.
It's not so much forgetting about it.

Bad things are going to happen in life. How you deal with them, learn from them and move on is what defines you as a person.

But these men never moved on. To the point where one of them even said that when they looked at the superbowl ring they won in SB5, all they could think about was the SB that wasn't there from SB3.

I pity those men.

Back