In the first half

6'1"
235lbs

5 rushes 33 yards
2 catches 20 yards
In the first half

6'1"
235lbs

I'm still not sure why we didn't trade up in the 6th round for either Dixon or Jonathan Dwyer. What's the risk that late?

Dixon running for over 100 yards may be more of a statement about Indy's run defense than about Dixon's running ability.

Why haven't you mentioned him before, babs?!!

*snicker*

Ron. Dayne.

Even if he's good, he takes too many direct hits and will be broken down by 2013.

But maybe I'm wrong, who knows.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ron. Dayne.

Even if he's good, he takes too many direct hits and will be broken down by 2013.

Posted via Mobile Device

1997:

Corey Dillon
Even if he's good he takes too many direct hits and will be broken down by 2000

Dillon was a banger, but he was very skilled at avoiding the big direct hits.

Bettis. Maybe he can be Bettis.

Taking direct hits from college size/strength/speed player (on average) compared to the average NFLer? No comparison. Bettis was made of iron or something.

Still, I would have taken a shot at him in the 5th or 6th, for sure. Solid performance for a couple of years is worth more than that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ron. Dayne.

Posted via Mobile Device

I know nothing about the youngster you are discussing, but Ron Dayne was never good. He lived off the great blocking in college and surprisingly couldn't break tackles despite his size.

At one time Dixon was projected to be a 3rd round pick

By the end of his career people might be saying he should have been drafted in round 1

I know nothing about the youngster you are discussing, but Ron Dayne was never good. He lived off the great blocking in college and surprisingly couldn't break tackles despite his size.

We used to KILL Ron Dayne in college. Absolutely owned him. I remember Tommy Hendricks talking shit to Dayne. "Heisman? They talkin' bout you for the Heisman? You not good, you just FAT!"

I like Dixon, though.

Never claimed he was - I always downgrade Wisconsin RBs because of the beastly OLs they always have up there. But that's who Dixon reminds me of more than anyone. Maybe I'm wrong, I only saw highlights and major parts of maybe 3 games.

Look, big bruiser backs (5'10"+, 230+) very rarely pan out in the NFL.
3rd rounders or bettter since 1995:

1995:
Joe Aska - 5'11", 235 - Total bust
Zack Crockett - 6'2", 240 - hung around for a bit, but his best year was 300 yards.
Ray Zellars - 5'11", 233 - Nope.
Tyrone Wheatley - 6'0", 235 - meh. One good year of 1000+/9/4.5

1996:
Jon Whitman - 6'2", 240 - bust
Reggie Brown - 6'0", 244 - bust
Mike Alstott, if you want to count him (I would) - 6'1", 248 - pretty solid, but note he didn't have to be a workhorse because he split carries.
Eddie George - 6'3", 235 - here's the exception that proves the rule. He ran upright, constantly took direct shots, and had a very nice and long career

1997:
Duce Staley - 5'11", 240 - decent, 3ish good years, but every time his carries went up, he got hurt.
Antowain Smith - 6'2", 230 - well, he hung around for awhile. He was a solid contributor

1998:
Skip Hicks - 6'0", 230 - yeah....no.
Fred Taylor - 6'1", 234 - Outstanding runner, but despite his measurables, doesn't belong here.
Curtis Enis - 6'0", 242 - Nope.

1999:
Shawn Bryson - 6'1", 230 - Nope.
Jermaine Fazande - 6'2", 255 - Suckity suck suck
JJ Johnson - 6'1", 230 - nope.

2000:
Ron Dayne - 5'10", 250 - mucked around for awhile, was never good. And like most of these guys, the more he played, the more hits he took and the faster he broke down.
Jamal Lewis - 5'11", 240 - one of my favorite modern backs, but like Fred Taylor, doesn't belong here. Like a bigger Corey Dillon.

2001:
Kevan Barlow - 6'1", 238 - Okay until he took a lot of carries, then broke down very fast.
- Actually, Barlow is a perfect example, and a pretty good comparison for the 6'0", 233 Dixon. Barlow, year by year, carries/ypa, *if missed time due to injury (with explanation):
-----125/4.1, 145/4.7, 201/5.1, 244/3.4* (Injured at end of year), 176/3.3*, 131/2.8*, out of league
LaMont Jordan - 5'10, 230 - Okay, doesn't belong here style-wise
Anthony Thomas - 6'2", 230 - started decent, injured each of his first 4 years from the pounding, fell off the map. Another great example.
Deuce McAllister - 6'1", 232 - doesn't belong here.

2002:
Lamar Gordon - 6'2", 230 - bust
TJ Duckett - 6'0", 250 - bust. 7 year career, missed time to injury in 5 of 1st 6.

2003:
Musa Smith - 6'0", 232 - Nope.

2004:
Greg Jones - 6'1", 248 - Meh. Has hung around.

2005:
Eric Shelton - 6'1", 245 - Bust.
Ronnie Brown - 6', 230 - nice back, doesn't belong here

2006:
LenDale White - 6'2", 240 - Not bad so far, hard to gauge because of that other guy in Tennessee recently.

2007:
Tony Hunt - 6'2", 233 - bust/out of football
Chris Henry - 6'2", 230 - bust

2008:
Johnathan Stewart - 5'11", 235 - looks really good so far, actually. His carries increased last year, let's see if he holds up this year.

It's just too early to tell for 2009

Anyway, point is just that with a couple exceptions like Eddie George and Jerome Bettis, these guys have a tough go in the NFL. Outside of those guys, the ones that have hung around and been decent contributors have almost without exception been at their best when splitting carries (Wheatley, Allstot, Crockett, A. Smith, Dayne, LaMont Jordan).
Now, all that said, I think Dixon feel way too far. He was value in the 5th, and would still be a very reasonable pick in the 4th or even the 3rd. When there was talk about drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, I rooted against that because there were a lot of other guys that I liked better.

But I was wrong at least one other time, so who knows? In San Francisco, he might be in a perfect situation to take 10 carries/game from Gore and produce like crazy. That way, we could both arguably be right. :rolleyes:

Must be nice to be able to discard all the successful ones with "doesn't belong here" :D
IF you think they run like the other big, bruising backs on the list, that's up to you. I don't. Eddie George belongs there. So does Stewart.

On the other hand, it might open the door to saying that Dixon runs more like Taylor, Lewis, or McAllister style-wise. Doesn't look that way to me, but that could be so. It's worth noting that all of those guys went very high because they were physical freaks with the weight being secondary to the speed, quickness, and skill. They played like guys who weighed 10-20 pounds less.

IF you think they run like the other big, bruising backs on the list, that's up to you. I don't. Eddie George belongs there. So does Stewart.

On the other hand, it might open the door to saying that Dixon runs more like Taylor, Lewis, or McAllister style-wise. Doesn't look that way to me, but that could be so. It's worth noting that all of those guys went very high because they were physical freaks with the weight being secondary to the speed, quickness, and skill. They played like guys who weighed 10-20 pounds less.

I generally agree with you - but that shouldn't prevent me from poking some fun at your methods of analysis!

I generally agree with you - but that shouldn't prevent me from poking some fun at your methods of analysis!
Yeah, people get all upset when I insert my qualitative into their quantitative. It's like they think it's statistical rape or something.

Myself, I think of it as a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup - observation/logic and numerical analysis: two great tastes that taste great together!

I should note in fairness that some of the people on that list that sucked probably don't belong there in terms of style, either. But they sucked so much that I don't remember them to be able make that call. :shrug:

LeGarrette Blount- UDFA

He would have been a decent pickup but his attitude is pure crap. I'm not just talking about the punch either, his weight has been an issue and his teammates referred to him as "apathetic" at Oregon. Like others have already stated, many of these big backs run too upright, Blount is no exception.

Back