Are there mainstream studies Foxborough's megaliths & other major New England ones?

Well Joolz, I use mostly Chrome. I go to google images. Type in what I'm looking for (here: Babson Boulders). Up comes a sload of images with a link in the URL line. Copy link, paste link. You have the images. Never have seen the problem u describe. I think we must be approaching a bit differently. :shrug:

Cheers

Well Joolz, I use mostly Chrome. I go to google images. Type in what I'm looking for (here: Babson Boulders). Up comes a sload of images with a link in the URL line. Copy link, paste link. You have the images. Never have seen the problem u describe. I think we must be approaching a bit differently. :shrug:

Cheers

:confused:

I used it to ID Mikie's picture. For example, Beagle often posts throwback pictures on Thirstday and I don't know who they are. I use the "Search Google for image" feature to identify the person in the picture.

Cheers

I used it to ID Mikie's picture. For example, Beagle often posts throwback pictures on Thirstday and I don't know who they are. I use the "Search Google for image" feature to identify the person in the picture.

It is used to Identify a person in the image, or the location. I think the search we all do the same and IF pig is involved we put on supersafe mode

I think I'm talking about a different task and a different process. I mostly use google images when I'm looking for a genre, for want of a better word, rather than anything specific. A simple example: I need a picture (who knows why) of a red truck. I go to the google images page and type in red truck. Up pops a boatload of red trucks with a link to my boatload of red trucks.

Here I wanted a collection of smaller images of the "Babson Boulders" so I could show a bunch of them quickly and easily. so I simply showed you the page with the search results from my :Boston Boulders search.

I don't start with a picture and try to identify it. In stead I look for pictures.

Cheers

I think I'm talking about a different task and a different process. I mostly use google images when I'm looking for a genre, for want of a better word, rather than anything specific. A simple example: I need a picture (who knows why) of a red truck. I go to the google images page and type in red truck. Up pops a boatload of red trucks with a link to my boatload of red trucks.

Here I wanted a collection of smaller images of the "Babson Boulders" so I could show a bunch of them quickly and easily. so I simply showed you the page with the search results from my :Boston Boulders search.

I don't start with a picture and try to identify it. In stead I look for pictures.

Cheers

Oh, yeah. That's how I look for pictures too. Don't get me started on how I get pictures for TBL/TFB Tuesday. That's a huge time-consuming research project. :wink:

I love how you have so much interest in this.

I don't believe in the Solutrean hypothesis, whereby Native Americans in the Northeast came from NW Europe in 20000 BC, because it would be so hard for a major expedition like that to go so far with such a big population. It's quite another thing to reject as impossible that a few explorers (like 5 to 30) crossed the North Atlantic in the c. 10,000 years between the Amerindians crossed the Bering Strait and before the Vikings.

NorthAmericaMigrations.jpg

I think it's unlikely that Irish or Vikings made a colony in New England before Columbus' time, because I think we would have found stronger evidence of it. But then, until they really started looking hard for it in Newfoundland, they didn't know where the Norse colony was there exactly either.

vikings-zoom.jpg

We know that Amerindians were at these sites for centuries before Columbus' time, probably going back thousands of years. They left interesting rock carvings called petroglyphs and were Algonquin people. They made cairns with stones and even made some interesting small forts or fort walls like the Narragansetts did with "Queen's Fort" in Rhode Island (National Register of Historic places.).

IMG_0004.jpg

Queen's Fort, R.I.

They didn't do largescale irrigation and farming like in Mexico. I think that they probably didn't make the bigger stone chambers like at Upton either, because that relies on making arched ceilings, which is hard architecturally.

My best guess is that they didn't make the slab tunnels at Stonehenge USA or at Gungywamp either, but it's quite mysterious. The giant slab tunnels go beyond what I would expect from just a few colonial farming families in Salem, NH living and passing on the same property to eachother.
2e6f74a6bde1759678ec4ddec2df11c9.jpg

I love how you have so much interest in this.

I don't believe in the Solutrean hypothesis, whereby Native Americans in the Northeast came from NW Europe in 20000 BC, because it would be so hard for a major expedition like that to go so far with such a big population. It's quite another thing to reject as impossible that a few explorers (like 5 to 30) crossed the North Atlantic in the c. 10,000 years between the Amerindians crossed the Bering Strait and before the Vikings.

You're more into this and know more about it than me (just remember a few tv documentaries), but that seems to make sense that a few European stragglers could have made it across, but not enough to account for a significant part of the population in America.

There's also the hypothesis that polynesians came across the Pacific and populated South America and possibly some on the U.S. west coast before the Bering Strait froze over in the last ice age. They made it to Hawaii and had a seagoing culture, so there's a good chance that's true.

From the documentaries I saw, the carbon dating of some of the stone artifacts is disputed whether they come from as long as 30,000 years ago or not. But, it was the hunters from the mass migration across the Bering Strait that supposedly led to the extinction of the mammoths and other big animals.

There's also the hypothesis that polynesians came across the Pacific and populated South America and possibly some on the U.S. west coast before the Bering Strait froze over in the last ice age. They made it to Hawaii and had a seagoing culture, so there's a good chance that's true.
Yes, this part is probably true. After all, they had to have gotten to Hawaii and Easter Island before Captain Cook did in the 18th c. And there are shared words, farm animals (chickens) and vegetables between native Easter Island and South America.

The Pacific I heard is easier to travel. Not sure why. Typically Easter Island's settlement is dated to a few centuries BC or later.

Just curious, did you actually find the tick, or did you just have symptoms?
1st time set diagnosed symptoms and tested positive

Second time found the tick in my back and was on meds for 6 weeks. I was taken off and the bullseye was 6" diameter 2 weeks later. Went back on meds and I was one appointment from having port put in to feed me meds. Some how I missed only 2 days of work. Thank god I work in the office now or I would never have been able too.
During the second time I was doing PT for my shoulder too! Man that was tough.

Yes, this part is probably true. After all, they had to have gotten to Hawaii and Easter Island before Captain Cook did in the 18th c. And there are shared words, farm animals (chickens) and vegetables between native Easter Island and South America.

The Pacific I heard is easier to travel. Not sure why. Typically Easter Island's settlement is dated to a few centuries BC or later.

A lot of this amazing navigation was taking place around the time of the Trojan War.

Sam Low is an amazing author and explorer. We happen to share a great great grandfather so we are third cousins.

In 2013 he released his amazing book: Hawaiki Rising. It's the story of the replication of the amazing journey of the polynesians island by island across the south pacific to Hawaii. The navigation involved the stars and the ocean currents. The knowledge of that set of navigational skills was passed on essentially in the oral tradition as sons apprenticed with their fathers.

The story is about the building of a replica of a giant oceangoing polynesian canoe, and Nainoa Thompson, an astonishingly gifted young Hawaiian, adventurer and Mau Piailug, from a remote Micronesia Island, one of few, if not the last to know the intricate secrets of`ocean travel as passed down through the ages. It's the story of replicating the journey against the winds and the currents across thousands of miles of Ocean without the benefit of any modern navigational equipment relying entirely on traditional navigational knowledge and techniques.

It laughs off Kon-Tiki and Thor Heyerdahl's flawed thesis of a westward movement from SA..

It is a great true story.

If you are interested at all in the ways in which man moved out across the oceans, this is IMO a must and a wonderful take.

Cheers

Rako,

Just out of curiosity, what made you come to a sports themed message board and post this? Not a complaint at all, but probably one of the more unique introductions to a new member we have ever had.

Sent from my Enigma Device

Rako,

Just out of curiosity, what made you come to a sports themed message board and post this? Not a complaint at all, but probably one of the more unique introductions to a new member we have ever had.

I was going to ask this. He did have a lot of sports references in his first post though

Rako,

I gotta admit, as a cranky skeptic type, I was expecting the OP to end is their post with this, assuming that s/he was just posting anywhere s/he could after being kicked off one too many skeptic sites. LOL

View attachment 98528

But instead it turned into a very interesting thread with awesome contributions from Planet Peeps, so....:toast: and :Lwelcome:, rako.

But yes, we still want to know the answer to UT's question, if you don't mind. :)

Rako,

I'm curious also. He asked about clam chowder in another thread too.

Indeed, :Lwelcome: , rako.

I'm curious also. He asked about clam chowder in another thread too.

Indeed, :Lwelcome: , rako.

Ah, but sitting on a monolith eating great chowdah? Doesn't get any better than that.

And, :Lwelcome: as well.

Cheers, BostonTim

Ah, but sitting on a monolith eating great chowdah? Doesn't get any better than that.

Cheers, BostonTim
Maybe.
Thanks.
I visited Stonehenge USA 15 years ago, but didn't know what to make of it. Just driving around that area of NH I saw random big cairns or megaliths by the roadside and didn't know what to make of them.

I also had chowder in restaurants that claimed to be "New England style", especially "Kelly's Landing New England Seafood" in Ft Lauderdale. They have a Patriot's theme in their restaurant. It was good.

"Clam Chowder was the Best"
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...g-Fort_Lauderdale_Broward_County_Florida.html

This is one of the few general topic "New England" forums on the whole internet, unless you count things like "New England gardening", Weather, or railroads.

He did have a lot of sports references in his first post though
Makes it more fun. I like how the teams match up with the hypothetical (or real) civilizations that have been said to come to the area.
Red Skins - Celtics - Vikings - PatriotsPatty*

The Foxborough connection is cool too.

Younger brother ended up being an All Star College kicker. He went into highschool and college kicking because you can connect with most people with sports, unlike birdwatching.

Back