Babalu

Peg what kind of items would work or would you be looking for? I am not sure I have anything worthy to offer but if you can give me a heads up I can surely look or ask around here

P.S.--If kids want to get involved, they could offer their lawn-raking services for an afternoon or something like that...

Peg what kind of items would work or would you be looking for? I am not sure I have anything worthy to offer but if you can give me a heads up I can surely look or ask around here

Oh, how about this--If any of you guys are "handy", you could offer a gift certificate (within a certain distance/proximity to your home) and offer a few hours to work on someone's "Honey Do" list... That would be a fun thing to buddy up with someone and do...

OT--Since I'm not around much, like I was in the "olden days", I didn't realize that we had budding brew-masters in the making, in our membership. Perhaps it could be structured as a contest and the winning selection gets the honor of being named the Babalu Brew of 2011?! Or the "Original Babalu Brew" or something like that.
Thanks for the awesome input here!

Karen/Bruschifan1 used to make a Bruschi Brew every year and they created a new label for each year, as well. Maybe she could create something for this...

And don't beat yourself up! I've gotten to know most of the original Planeteers, in person, when we first started doing Draft Day Parties and tail-gating, etc... That's why I tend to refer to them by their given names, rather than their nick-names here...
And for the record--You don't have to have any connections to organize a fund-raiser (although it helps!) Just being willing to pitch in and take part is huge. Thanks! :)
I think naming the winner the babalu brew would be awesome!!

Oh, how about this--If any of you guys are "handy", you could offer a gift certificate (within a certain distance/proximity to your home) and offer a few hours to work on someone's "Honey Do" list... That would be a fun thing to buddy up with someone and do...

This helps Babs how?

But yes a good thought for all of us regardless where we live

Hey, Muse--When it comes to items for a Silent Auction, the items can run the whole gamut. Be creative. Sports themed? Cool, but not required...
Something large? No problem--just take a pic of it...
Maybe we can get some donations from the Pro-Shop or something... The more I think about it, it would be nice to get some players involved in this. I wonder if Ted Johnson would take my call?!... ;)

Again--if anyone would like to step up and be the contact person for the auction part, then that would be greatly appreciated.

I just remembered that a photographer friend of mine from Plymouth, NH once offered to give me a HUGE, SIGNED photograph of Ty Law, from back in the day. I wonder if he still has it. (FTR--I declined, as I didn't have any place to put it.) I'll call him and see what's up with that...

I don't have much but will look around the house and then around town.

This helps Babs how?

But yes a good thought for all of us regardless where we live

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I meant that a gift certificate for handyman work could be a possible item for the silent auction. And the auction items will generate money for Babs.

The part about the locale, was that I am assuming that the people that will be attending the event will be from the greater Foxborough area and therefore there should be an understanding that the handyman work would be done within a certain proximity of the one donating the work.

Is that more clear?? Sorry if I sound obtuse here, but I guess that I am missing the gist of your question here. ??...

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I meant that a gift certificate for handyman work could be a possible item for the silent auction. And the auction items will generate money for Babs.

The part about the locale, was that I am assuming that the people that will be attending the event will be from the greater Foxborough area and therefore there should be an understanding that the handyman work would be done within a certain proximity of the one donating the work.

Is that more clear?? Sorry if I sound obtuse here, but I guess that I am missing the gist of your question here. ??...

No you answered it and I was not clear either when I failed to mention I am not in the area but in NC, hence why the handy man idea made me think how can this help Babs if I am in NC :)

So now that we are clear I have to figure out how to help Jeff and the family

No you answered it and I was not clear either when I failed to mention I am not in the area but in NC, hence why the handy man idea made me think how can this help Babs if I am in NC :)

So now that we are clear I have to figure out how to help Jeff and the family
Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying that for me. :)

Peg, when things are organized, shoot me a pm with a name and place to send items and it will be taken care of. I probably will not be there since my foot and leg do not do well in a car for rides in excess of 25-30 minutes but am more than glad to support any help for Jeff and his family.

What is the timeline here, and what is the acceptable vicinity of the event?

I could design and print some simple one-color T-shirts to sell/auction/raffle if some reference materials (photos, Babalu phrases, etc) are provided to me. Anyone who can offer assistance in producing these shirts would be appreciated. Just throw your ideas my way...

'Jeffenreffer' just popped into my head...

Peg, when things are organized, shoot me a pm with a name and place to send items and it will be taken care of. I probably will not be there since my foot and leg do not do well in a car for rides in excess of 25-30 minutes but am more than glad to support any help for Jeff and his family.

Paul--Will do!!! Thanks so much. :)
Not sure where we will hold this event yet, but I hope that it is close enough to you, that you would be able to do the ride. Best! ~Peg :)

What is the timeline here, and what is the acceptable vicinity of the event?

I could design and print some simple one-color T-shirts to sell/auction/raffle if some reference materials (photos, Babalu phrases, etc) are provided to me. Anyone who can offer assistance in producing these shirts would be appreciated. Just throw your ideas my way...

'Jeffenreffer' just popped into my head...

Beaglebay--Not sure of the event site, yet. Any suggestions, anyone?
I was reading the original Fundraiser for Babalu thread and it had the contact info for Jeff's sister, Michelle. I think that I will email her and ask her if she would recommend using the Elks Club in Middleboro again or not. My hope is to find a place that won't charge anything or just a nominal fee. I really want to keep any "over-head" costs to a bare minimum, so that all proceeds go to Jeff and his family.

As to your offer of designing and printing T-shirts--that is great. But, again--I am wondering about covering costs. Maybe you could come up with one, in Jeff's size and with the winning slogan on it (like BOR's below!) and have everyone at the event sign it for him. And maybe a second one, that could be sold in the silent auction.
Beyond that, if attendees really dig the prototype, then you could take orders for them at the event. What do ya think?...

And as to the name "Jeffenreffer" = Winning! ;)

Oh, yeah--In regards to a time-line: Mike told me that it takes at least 5 weeks, from start to finish, to make a home-brew. So--it definitely won't happen for at least that amount of time. I think that the first step is finding a suitable site and then check its availability. So, stay tuned...

Peg -

I like the sound of this. I don't think Kez has posted here in a long time, but it would be great if he could get involved in this.

Babalu has been an active participant in several home brewers forums. Frank W could let you know which ones they are in case you want to cross promote this event with some of those folks.

Peg -

I like the sound of this. I don't think Kez has posted here in a long time, but it would be great if he could get involved in this.

Babalu has been an active participant in several home brewers forums. Frank W could let you know which ones they are in case you want to cross promote this event with some of those folks.

Hey, Phil--

Thanks for the support. :)
I actually emailed Kerry on Facebook, as I couldn't remember that Kez is his nickname here. LOL!) I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I just received an email from Jerry on FB and he said he is gonna do what he can, on his end of things. :)

Thanks for the heads up, on the home-brewers forums. :)
I think that the way that this is gonna thrash out, is that we will invite any/all home-brewers to bring a batch of their stuff, for tasting. (Rather than structuring it as a contest, per se.) It would be cool if the names of the brews, incorporated Jeff's name/nickname, but I don't think that should be a requirement...

I emailed Jeff's sister earlier, apprising her of what we are planning. Also, I wanted to hear her opinion, as to whether she would recommend us holding our event at the Elks Club in Middleboro or not and any other suggestions that she might have for us.

Please keep the suggestions coming. :)

I heard back from Jeff's sister, Michelle. She had been visiting with Jeff all day, yesterday and they have the infection under control and when it is completely gone, then he will undergo the removal of his gall bladder. She said that she can't wait to tell him what we are planning and that this is something that would be right up his alley. :)

She gave me the contact info for the Elks Club, where they held the fundraiser on 12/3. She said that she picked that venue, as it is located in Jeff's home-town of Middleboro. There is a "charity event" fee of $125. The building can accommodate up to 250 people. I need to contact them, to ask about logistics such as our bringing in the home brews, food service, availability, etc...

I think that's it for an update, for now...

I heard back from Jeff's sister, Michelle. She had been visiting with Jeff all day, yesterday and they have the infection under control and when it is completely gone, then he will undergo the removal of his gall bladder. She said that she can't wait to tell him what we are planning and that this is something that would be right up his alley. :)

She gave me the contact info for the Elks Club, where they held the fundraiser on 12/3. She said that she picked that venue, as it is located in Jeff's home-town of Middleboro. There is a "charity event" fee of $125. The building can accommodate up to 250 people. I need to contact them, to ask about logistics such as our bringing in the home brews, food service, availability, etc...

I think that's it for an update, for now...
I hope he smiles huge from it. I can picture it already :) wuv

Back