Belichick by Ian O'conner

MEPATNUT

Reaction score
My wife picked up a copy of this book for me at the local library as she thought that I would be interested in reading it.

Right from the beginning, I knew that this was not going to be a flattering book about BB. In the Introduction the author stated that BB did not want to talk to him and that BB asked others not to speak to the author.

But the author states that he talked to "over 350" people in getting the information to write the book.

Still knowing that this book is not going be kind to BB, I've still read 191 pages in 3 days. The book is over 400 pages.

The author could not help but include that he was told when BB was in college that he tampered with a friends lacrosse stick and supposedly said "if you're not cheating, your not trying".

The author portrays Parcells as a prick with a good media personality. And BB as a prick with no personality. States that in Cleveland he was hated by everyone and Nick Saban couldn't wait to "be rid of BB". I ask myself why BB and Nick have had such a good relationship all these years.

I'm just getting into the first year of BB's tenure of being the HC of the Patriots and how he decided to draft TFB.

I'll post more as I go along if anyone is interested. Perhaps others have read this book and I'd be interested thoughts on it.

I wouldn't mind hearing a recap of the rest if you have time.

My wife picked up a copy of this book for me at the local library as she thought that I would be interested in reading it.

Right from the beginning, I knew that this was not going to be a flattering book about BB. In the Introduction the author stated that BB did not want to talk to him and that BB asked others not to speak to the author.

But the author states that he talked to "over 350" people in getting the information to write the book.

Still knowing that this book is not going be kind to BB, I've still read 191 pages in 3 days. The book is over 400 pages.

The author could not help but include that he was told when BB was in college that he tampered with a friends lacrosse stick and supposedly said "if you're not cheating, your not trying".

The author portrays Parcells as a prick with a good media personality. And BB as a prick with no personality. States that in Cleveland he was hated by everyone and Nick Saban couldn't wait to "be rid of BB". I ask myself why BB and Nick have had such a good relationship all these years.

I'm just getting into the first year of BB's tenure of being the HC of the Patriots and how he decided to draft TFB.

I'll post more as I go along if anyone is interested. Perhaps others have read this book and I'd be interested thoughts on it.

Appreciate the post and I will read follow ups, but giving any time or energy to an author BB clearly wants no part of is not my thing. He gets skewered enough by people who don’t know him around here, yet will fawn over him or wilt and wither when actually in his presence. Fvck them.

One thing I truly look forward to is Bill’s tome, if it in fact happens. It would be brilliant, captivating, educational, thorough, and like everything he does exceptional. So,so many things to address in such a long and storied career. That would be excellent reading.

I'd probably read it if it was laying around, but I'm reluctant to make O'Connor any money based on the excerpts I've read because it sounds to me like he is going for a negative slant in order to do get paid.

I'm almost done with a book by Mike Lombardi called Gridiron Genius where he talks about how some of the great coaches of our time build their teams and his insight into Belichick is some of the best I've read. Great stuff about strategy and how Bill thinks and how the Pats prepare for games, the playoffs, the draft etc., etc. It's really excellent.

I never cared for Lombardi that much from what I'd seen of him and thought he was a bit of a gossip hound and wondered why Bill would hire a guy like him, but he is a remarkably gifted writer and I think anybody that is really into football would devour his book as I am.

For instance, he told a great story about how pissed Belichick was at Darrelle Revis for not communicating with his backfield mates, which is one of Belichick's pet peeves and he wasn't the only one. It culminated in a full-scale brawl between Brandon Browner and Revis on the practice field and resulted in Revis being a new believer in talking for the remainder of the season. I'd never heard of that incident.

There is a lot more inside stuff from a guy that was actually part of the staff, which is a major difference from O'Connor and Lombardi's admiration for Belichick and his methods is obvious from the beginning. I feel like it has helped me get more insight into Bill and why we do what we do.

One thing he gives BB a lot credit for is keeping Brady, even though no other team kept 4 QB's on the 53 man roster. Brady was inactive for 14 games during his rookie season. The 2000 team had a lot of needs that year besides QB.

But, BB saw something in him and did not want to lose him by putting him on the PS. Brady was not anywhere near the QB that he became. Thanks to the coaching staff, the work Brady put in, as well as BB's faith in him, Brady started to become Brady in 2001.

I'd probably read it if it was laying around, but I'm reluctant to make O'Connor any money based on the excerpts I've read because it sounds to me like he is going for a negative slant in order to do get paid.

I'm almost done with a book by Mike Lombardi called Gridiron Genius where he talks about how some of the great coaches of our time build their teams and his insight into Belichick is some of the best I've read. Great stuff about strategy and how Bill thinks and how the Pats prepare for games, the playoffs, the draft etc., etc. It's really excellent.

I never cared for Lombardi that much from what I'd seen of him and thought he was a bit of a gossip hound and wondered why Bill would hire a guy like him, but he is a remarkably gifted writer and I think anybody that is really into football would devour his book as I am.

For instance, he told a great story about how pissed Belichick was at Darrelle Revis for not communicating with his backfield mates, which is one of Belichick's pet peeves and he wasn't the only one. It culminated in a full-scale brawl between Brandon Browner and Revis on the practice field and resulted in Revis being a new believer in talking for the remainder of the season. I'd never heard of that incident.

There is a lot more inside stuff from a guy that was actually part of the staff, which is a major difference from O'Connor and Lombardi's admiration for Belichick and his methods is obvious from the beginning. I feel like it has helped me get more insight into Bill and why we do what we do.

The only reason that I'm reading it is my wife brought it home. I would not pay the $28 to buy it. But I'm reading it for free (until I get sick of it,maybe).

Appreciate the post and I will read follow ups, but giving any time or energy to an author BB clearly wants no part of is not my thing. He gets skewered enough by people who don’t know him around here, yet will fawn over him or wilt and wither when actually in his presence. Fvck them.

One thing I truly look forward to is Bill’s tome, if it in fact happens. It would be brilliant, captivating, educational, thorough, and like everything he does exceptional. So,so many things to address in such a long and storied career. That would be excellent reading.

BB really needs to write his own book...for his POV.

Back