Bob Sanders Def Player of Year?

Wow, I really don't know what to think about this thread. I mean, the guy is indispensable to his team and a bonafide difference maker. To all those who disagree with Bob Sanders being the DOP, who would you have chosen instead, out of curiosity?

Re: Re: Bob Sanders Def Player of Year?

krayziebone33 on 01-07-2008 at 08:47 PM said:
I respect your opinion, grogsox, but I still have to as if not him, then who? We can hate the Colts all day, but the fact of the matter is their defense is incredible this year and Bob Sanders is the main reason why. I don't believe there was a defensive player this year that meant more to his team than Sanders, except for maybe Haynesworth. Do you remember last year when they could stop absolutely no one's running game when he was hurt? Once he came back, I don't think Indy allowed one 100-yard rusher after that. He's always around the ball and line of scrimmage.

Bob Sanders deserved to be the Defensive Player of the Year and is the best safety in the NFL. I know some people believe its Polamalu and he's awesome too, but the title of best safety belongs to Sanders right now, in my humble opinion.

I actually said it that way to get my Colts buddies on this board to chime in and talk him up. While his stats are not all that impressive, he is a monster on the field and makes every hit count. I would love to have him as a Patriot, but he won't be ready to make that switch until he gets a little longer in the tooth and gets hungry enough for a chance at a second SB. Till then, we'll make due with our retreads. Of course, I have a feeling Sanders career will be shorter than average, because of the way he plays.

Who the hell ever said that DPOY had to be purely based on stats anyways?

All you have to do is watch him play... its uncanny how he seems to be involved on every play.

I'm just glad they don't base the award on height.

:D

dred on 01-07-2008 at 09:47 PM said:
Who the hell ever said that DPOY had to be purely based on stats anyways?

All you have to do is watch him play... its uncanny how he seems to be involved on every play.

I'm just glad they don't base the award on height.

:D
That's what I was wondering.

If it's not based on stats then what is it based upon? The best defensive player on the team with the best defense?

My two cents. It is not etched in stone that he is the best safety in the league either. He is fantastic, but I think I would take that fella in Baltimore. Troy Polamalu is overrated.

scaulen on 01-07-2008 at 10:04 PM said:
If it's not based on stats then what is it based upon? The best defensive player on the team with the best defense?

I do not believe anyone is saying that stats absolutely don't matter, but I do believe everyone arguing for Sanders is saying that he has tons of intangibles and is a difference maker on the field. I have never felt that statistics tell the whole story when judging an athlete and what that athlete means to his or her team. I think Bob Sanders is a perfect example of that this year. He means more to that Colts defense than just about any other player means to his team.

I think we should all count how many times Bob Sanders is in on a tackle, pass break-up, etc. vs how many times he isn't. The ratio of impact plays vs. other plays won't even be close. I've had the privilege of watching many Colts games and the guy is always around the ball. As the cliche goes, he's not just a safety, he's a football player. :D

Beer on 01-07-2008 at 10:46 PM said:
My two cents. It is not etched in stone that he is the best safety in the league either. He is fantastic, but I think I would take that fella in Baltimore. Troy Polamalu is overrated.

Ed Reed is a beast.

Labeling someone the best at anything is purely subjective. Any one of us could make a strong case for Reed, Polamalu, or Sanders. Personally, Ed Reed is my favorite of the three, but if pressed to answer today who is the best safety in the league, I would say Sanders. That, of course, would just be my opinion.

ColtFan81 on 01-07-2008 at 09:40 PM said:
look at the top 50 players in tackles this year and not one of them would even be considered a candidate for the award. 90 pct of tackles are made by linebackers anyhow.....which is why they win the award most of the time.

Haynesworth, Kerney and others that were mentioned aren't in the top 50. It's difference makers and players that make big plays are the ones that win the DPOY

Honestly if sanders sat out this year, you guys still would have won your division ala manning; do you think if Tennessee didnt have Haynesworth all year; that Young would of "willed" them to the playoffs? Their rush d was better I am 80% sure...Not saying that Sanders was not a good choice I just think that Haynesworth commanded more respect; see all the triples he faced this year...

ColtFan81 on 01-07-2008 at 09:40 PM said:
look at the top 50 players in tackles this year and not one of them would even be considered a candidate for the award. 90 pct of tackles are made by linebackers anyhow.....which is why they win the award most of the time.

Haynesworth, Kerney and others that were mentioned aren't in the top 50. It's difference makers and players that make big plays are the ones that win the DPOY

So Nick Barnett is out?

Kerney had 14.5 sacks, that a huge difference maker and big play combined.

By the way I'm only looking at play off teams. My opinion is you have to have a winning record, not be on a team that spent 85% of the game playing defense which would pad their tackles.

krayziebone33 on 01-07-2008 at 10:49 PM said:
I do not believe anyone is saying that stats absolutely don't matter, but I do believe everyone arguing for Sanders is saying that he has tons of intangibles and is a difference maker on the field. I have never felt that statistics tell the whole story when judging an athlete and what that athlete means to his or her team. I think Bob Sanders is a perfect example of that this year. He means more to that Colts defense than just about any other player means to his team.

I think we should all count how many times Bob Sanders is in on a tackle, pass break-up, etc. vs how many times he isn't. The ratio of impact plays vs. other plays won't even be close. I've had the privilege of watching many Colts games and the guy is always around the ball. As the cliche goes, he's not just a safety, he's a football player. :D

Personally I think he won it this year because of what he did last year. There is no way he gets it last year because he missed too many games. This year he didn't drop off so it was his.

scaulen on 01-07-2008 at 10:04 PM said:

It is a measure of how well a player impacts the performance of their team's defense.

In Bob Sander's case:

He was a HUGE factor in the Colts making it through the playoffs and winning the Super Bowl title last season in the way he came back after missing most of the season (to a run D ranked the WORST in the league) and suddenly teams could not run (or pass that well) against Indianapolis.

The Indy D is ranked 3rd this year, largely in part to Bob being in the lineup.

Haynesworth had a similar impact to the Titans D this year when he was injured for several weeks, but it was on a much smaller scale when compared to Bob IMO.

scaulen on 01-07-2008 at 11:14 PM said:
Personally I think he won it this year because of what he did last year. There is no way he gets it last year because he missed too many games. This year he didn't drop off so it was his.

I hear you and you raise an interesting point. I guess its one of like instant replay; unless there is irrefutable evidence to overturn the call, then the play stands.

dred on 01-07-2008 at 11:27 PM said:
It is a measure of how well a player impacts the performance of their team's defense.

In Bob Sander's case:

He was a HUGE factor in the Colts making it through the playoffs and winning the Super Bowl title last season in the way he came back after missing most of the season (to a run D ranked the WORST in the league) and suddenly teams could not run (or pass that well) against Indianapolis.

The Indy D is ranked 3rd this year, largely in part to Bob being in the lineup.

Haynesworth had a similar impact to the Titans D this year when he was injured for several weeks, but it was on a much smaller scale when compared to Bob IMO.

Once again then there are 31 other teams that can say with out player A doing B it would have been C ya later for us. He won it because of last year, it was the infamous make up call.

scaulen on 01-07-2008 at 11:30 PM said:
Once again then there are 31 other teams that can say with out player A doing B it would have been C ya later for us. He won it because of last year, it was the infamous make up call.
They can "say" what they want.

The voters voted on what they actually "saw" this season.

;)

dred on 01-07-2008 at 11:37 PM said:
They can "say" what they want.

The voters voted on what they actually "saw" this season.

;)

Cased closed. We should just put this thread to rest now in a stalemate. The guy got the award so let's move on. Its all subjective so I guess there'll always be people who disagree no matter who wins it.

krayziebone33 on 01-07-2008 at 11:28 PM said:
I hear you and you raise an interesting point. I guess its one of like instant replay; unless there is irrefutable evidence to overturn the call, then the play stands.

That's assuming that any one else can even throw th red flag to challenge the call. If the ref's blow a non challenge able call then it's still a bad call. Like a face masking call in a play off game. Also if a ref makes a call or non call on a play that is ruled a judgment call then instant replay is out the window.

krayziebone33 on 01-07-2008 at 10:49 PM said:

I'm all for Bob in terms of his ability to stop the run, which is the #1 way teams have attacked the Colts in the past, but I'm sorry, he's nowhere near the coverage safety that Ed Reed or Polamalu are. That's a weakness of his, and it's been exploited.

I say good for Bob! The guy is a human missile, and I love to see him flying around and hitting guys! He's definitely a difference-maker!

Back