Bob Sanders Def Player of Year?

backofthepack* on 01-07-2008 at 03:23 PM said:
Did Brett Favre get a vote?

I would hope so. I mean the Best Defense for the Packers is to Keep Favre ON THE FIELD!!!!!!

OK if Sanders is "indespesible/the key etc." to the colts defense, SHOULDNT HE WIN IT EVERY FREAKIN YEAR THEN?

Bradys Bunch on 01-08-2008 at 09:12 AM said:
OK if Sanders is "indespesible/the key etc." to the colts defense, SHOULDNT HE WIN IT EVERY FREAKIN YEAR THEN?

Works for me ;)

cka203 on 01-08-2008 at 09:28 AM said:
Works for me ;)

All I'm saying is, the reason people are giving for him winning it this year isn't anything different that I've heard about him in the past, what makes this year any different?

BsB, he played 15 games this year after 6, 14, 4

had 3.5 sacks and 2 int with 6 pass defended all career highs

in 2005 he was an unknown, last year he was injured and returned against the Pats

During the most recent game against the Texans, Bob sneered into the camera after a big hit and he knocked one of my contacts out with his mind. DPOY... you bet your ass.

*mikiemo83 on 01-08-2008 at 09:44 AM said:
BsB, he played 15 games this year after 6, 14, 4

had 3.5 sacks and 2 int with 6 pass defended all career highs

in 2005 he was an unknown, last year he was injured and returned against the Pats

So just because he stayed healthy he deserves it? Those numbers aren't impressive, there are many other defensive players around the league with better numbers....look, dont get me wrong, I think Bob is a hell of a player, would I want him on my team? Hell yeah! But I don't think he deserves DPOY, just my opinion.

Bradys Bunch on 01-08-2008 at 09:50 AM said:
So just because he stayed healthy he deserves it? Those numbers aren't impressive, there are many other defensive players around the league with better numbers....look, dont get me wrong, I think Bob is a hell of a player, would I want him on my team? Hell yeah! But I don't think he deserves DPOY, just my opinion.
you are right he isn't in the top 20 in any stat but he allows the other players to play more relaxed knowing he is back there

kind of like a shot blocking center in Basketball, you can gamble a bit more knowing he is there to alter the shot if you get beat.

Patrick willis had a big year

and was he even mentioned?

he had 135 Solo tackles,4 Sacks and 5 Pass Deflections And 2 Fumbles Forced.

Thats better than sanders

Jared Allen 55 Solo Tackles 15.5 Sacks and 10 Pass Deflections and 3 Forced Fumbles

PatsFan09* on 01-08-2008 at 07:13 AM said:
I'm all for Bob in terms of his ability to stop the run, which is the #1 way teams have attacked the Colts in the past, but I'm sorry, he's nowhere near the coverage safety that Ed Reed or Polamalu are. That's a weakness of his, and it's been exploited.

I'm sorry to have to disagree with you when you mention Polamalu's coverage ability. I've seen him bite on play-action time and again. Ed Reed is an awesome player and, if Baltimore was having a better season, I'm sure he would have gotten consideration.

I'm still struggling to see what all the debate is about, though. Nobody has been able to come with anything but subjective arguments about other players who are "better." Every player in the NFL has a weakness of some sort. Every player in the NFL can improve on something. If you're going to point out someone's weakness and say that's why he or she should not receive an award, then there should be no such thing as individual awards.

Fellas, he won. That's really the end of it. None of us can control it. The DOP, in the big picture, means absolutely nothing. I'm sure Bob Sanders, himself, will tell you that he'd gladly exchange the award for even the chance to play in back-to-back Super Bowls.

P4E* on 01-08-2008 at 09:58 AM said:
Patrick willis had a big year

and was he even mentioned?

he had 135 Solo tackles,4 Sacks and 5 Pass Deflections And 2 Fumbles Forced.

Thats better than sanders

Jared Allen 55 Solo Tackles 15.5 Sacks and 10 Pass Deflections and 3 Forced Fumbles

You're right, Willis did have a tremendous year. That's why he won the Defensive Rookie of the Year. I'm sure he's not losing any sleep over Bob Sanders winning the Defensive Player of the Year. Before its all said and done, I'm sure Willis is going to have tons of individual awards, including the Defensive Player of the Year two or three times.

I'd say he's the defensive MVP for sure. You have to give him credit for the intangibles, they seem to play at a different level when he's in there...

not sure he's defensive player, but I have no problem with it..

krayziebone33 on 01-08-2008 at 01:54 PM said:
I'm sorry to have to disagree with you when you mention Polamalu's coverage ability. I've seen him bite on play-action time and again. Ed Reed is an awesome player and, if Baltimore was having a better season, I'm sure he would have gotten consideration.

I'm still struggling to see what all the debate is about, though. Nobody has been able to come with anything but subjective arguments about other players who are "better." Every player in the NFL has a weakness of some sort. Every player in the NFL can improve on something. If you're going to point out someone's weakness and say that's why he or she should not receive an award, then there should be no such thing as individual awards.

Fellas, he won. That's really the end of it. None of us can control it. The DOP, in the big picture, means absolutely nothing. I'm sure Bob Sanders, himself, will tell you that he'd gladly exchange the award for even the chance to play in back-to-back Super Bowls.

Stats aren't "subjective arguements" they're facts. And if you're going to argue, "intagibles" or "the colts D wouldnt be the same without him"...how do you measure that feesibly? Is that how we really should be measuring our awards by? No other award in any sport that I can think of has gone to someone percieved as the best as opposed to the actual best player on the field that year.

Bradys Bunch on 01-08-2008 at 02:56 PM said:
Stats aren't "subjective arguements" they're facts. And if you're going to argue, "intagibles" or "the colts D wouldnt be the same without him"...how do you measure that feesibly? Is that how we really should be measuring our awards by? No other award in any sport that I can think of has gone to someone percieved as the best as opposed to the actual best player on the field that year.

Okay my friend. Honestly, I've said all that I can possibly say about this subject. If you read some of my other posts in this thread and not just the last one, you will see where I talk about statistical importance. I never said that statistics did not matter. I would never have said something like that. Anyway, I have yet to hear anyone else talking about how it was such a bad decision to award Bob Sanders the award, nor have I heard anyone talking about another player who got snubbed. I respect your opinion as well as everyone else on the board. Maybe they'll get the voting right next year. I'll leave it at that.

Bradys Bunch on 01-08-2008 at 07:56 PM said:

So who would you have picked as D Player of the year??

Its pretty clear you didn't agree with sanders winning it

i thought that Jared Allen of the chiefs should have won it

I have no opinion, I just saw a lot of Colts fans in here and wanted to paste my Manning Avatar into the steaming pile of posts.

Bradys Bunch on 01-08-2008 at 01:56 PM said:

Ok....here are some statistics for you that support why Bob Sanders deserves the DPOY:

2004 - Sanders plays in 6 games - Colts overall Defense ranks #29 in the NFL, #28 against the pass, #24 against the run, #19 in points allowed

2005 - Sanders plays in 14 games - Colts overall Defense ranks #11, #16 against the run, #15 against the pass, and #2 in points allowed

2006 - Sanders plays in 4 games - Colts rank #21 overall, #32 against the run, #2 against the pass, and #23 in points allowed.

2007 Sanders plays in 15 games - Colts overall defense ranks #3 in the league, #15 against the run, #2 against the pass, and #1 in points allowed.

With him, the Colts have a legitimately good to great defense, without him, they have been historically bad (see 2006). Sure, he may not have the gaudy individual stats, but he elevates the play of the entire defense just by his presence on the field. THAT is why he is deserving of the DPOY.

WisColtFan7 on 01-09-2008 at 04:55 AM said:
Ok....here are some statistics for you that support why Bob Sanders deserves the DPOY:

2004 - Sanders plays in 6 games - Colts overall Defense ranks #29 in the NFL, #28 against the pass, #24 against the run, #19 in points allowed

2005 - Sanders plays in 14 games - Colts overall Defense ranks #11, #16 against the run, #15 against the pass, and #2 in points allowed

2006 - Sanders plays in 4 games - Colts rank #21 overall, #32 against the run, #2 against the pass, and #23 in points allowed.

2007 Sanders plays in 15 games - Colts overall defense ranks #3 in the league, #15 against the run, #2 against the pass, and #1 in points allowed.

With him, the Colts have a legitimately good to great defense, without him, they have been historically bad (see 2006). Sure, he may not have the gaudy individual stats, but he elevates the play of the entire defense just by his presence on the field. THAT is why he is deserving of the DPOY.

No offense, but that's not exactly a good argument.

The Colts' personnel in 2006 was MUCH different than what it is now. Different LBs, quite a few different players in the secondary, etc. Fat Simon is gone (not that he played much last year), but Johnson has been playing well, and Mathis has had a great year.

Bob's impact is there, but you can't compare '06 to '07.

Back