BREAKING NEWS: Rothlesberger in motorcycle accident.

Ugh I was driving home from the office and while on the highway a cycle pulled up next to me and sure enough, NO FRIGGIN HELMET.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Our state senator here is well-known for riding his motorcycle all over the state - without a helmet.

Yesterday I heard him on a radio interview where he said he STILL won't wear a helmet, because he feels they cause more harm than they prevent. Something about causing more spinal injuries, and the chin strap working like a noose.

This is the same guy who was arguing in favor of a conceal-carry law in the state and brought up aliens on Mars during his debate.

In the meantime, the guy who helped start this whole motorcycle debate has made an interesting statement:

BEREA, Ohio -- Kellen Winslow looked much like the player the Cleveland Browns drafted when he took the field Friday for the first time in nearly two years.

The long muscular frame, speed and soft hands all seem to be intact after his long rehabilitation from a motorcycle accident. He even dunked over the crossbar after making a catch, drawing hoots and hollers from his teammates at minicamp.

It was only when the tight end left the field that the change in Winslow was noticeable.

"I've been working on being humble," said Winslow, who missed most of his first two seasons -- last year after being injured in a motorcycle accident. "It gave me time to think."

Winslow, who turns 23 next month, said he was stunned when he heard that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured riding his motorcycle on Monday.

"It didn't seem real at first," Winslow said. "I remember after I got in my accident, he was also riding a motorcycle. It's an unfortunate thing. My prayers and thoughts are with him."

Winslow hasn't contacted Roethlisberger but said he will when all the attention dies down.

While Roethlisberger has pledged to wear a helmet if he rides a motorcycle again, Winslow said he's through with motorcycles.

"No, I won't," he said plainly when asked if he would ride again.

Fiery and brash when he joined the Browns as their sixth overall pick in the 2004 NFL draft, Winslow has had plenty to help make him humble.

His rookie season ended when he broke his right leg in his second game. Then he flipped over the handlebars of his motorcycle on May 1, 2005, while doing tricks in a parking lot. He tore a knee ligament, forcing him to miss all of last season.

Winslow recalled the loneliness of his painful rehabilitation, which was complicated by a staph infection in his leg that set him back two months.

"A lot of long nights. I can't even really explain," he said. "A hard time seeing my teammates out there playing in the games while I'm at home with my leg up."

Winslow participated in all drills Friday at minicamp, his right knee wrapped in a black sleeve.

He looked fluid running routes, moving laterally, and appeared at ease catching passes from quarterback Charlie Frye. He took part in blocking drills with the other tight ends and seemed to move without hesitation.

Winslow estimated he's about 90 percent recovered physically and just a little rusty.

Browns coach Romeo Crennel, though, sees a lot of rust. He said Winslow still has the hands, size and speed that made him a top pick but that the Browns won't know what he's capable of until he's in a game.

"He wants to prove that he is the type of player that the Browns thought he was going to be when they drafted him," Crennel said. "He wants to be the go-to guy. He wants to be a leader."

Winslow is excited not only to be back but also to be playing alongside the Browns' new additions, including center LeCharles Bentley and wide receiver Joe Jurevicius.

"It's an upgrade with those fellas. We're going to be contenders now for the Super Bowl," said Winslow, showing a glimmer of his old cockiness.

Winslow has yet to catch a pass in a game from Frye or line up alongside Braylon Edwards, who is expected to miss some games while he recovers from a torn knee ligament. But Winslow envisions success when they finally get on the field together.

"We can do some special things out there. We've got big, tall physical receivers," he said. "We've just got to make it happen."

#54 said:
I swear it was not my mother. Yes, she is a Pats fan, but I assure you that she was here in Maine when the accident happened. And I highly doubt it was Hemi's mom as she was (supposedly) in OK at the time. o:)

I can assure everyone that my mom was in Oklahoma at this time.

Thanks fity4

:D

RoadGrader said:
so I clik on this link like it was like legit and stuff.

I a idiot

Its not legit? Im a idiot too:banghead:

Creepy backstory to Roethlisberger's potentially life-threatening crash:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5689966?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5
For now, despite the pain, Roethlisberger has to consider himself a fortunate man. His mother was only 34 when she perished in a car crash while driving to her ex-husband's home to pick up her eight-year-old Ben.

The boy was having a catch with his stepmother, Brenda, while he waited for his mother to arrive. Ida's car was crushed by a pickup truck, leaving her grown-up son to point toward the sky after he puts points on the Steelers' board.

"He's going to be a great ballplayer someday," Ida had written about Ben in her diary.

Breaking news from CNN.com....

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be cited for failure to wear a helmet and not having a motorcycle license after an accident last week left him with a concussion, broken jaw and nose.

Full story from CNN.com

pookie said:
Breaking news from CNN.com....

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be cited for failure to wear a helmet and not having a motorcycle license after an accident last week left him with a concussion, broken jaw and nose.
they had to charge him and I think will really come down hard on him to set an example - I see a lot of public service announcements in Ben's future

mikiemo83 said:
they had to charge him and I think will really come down hard on him to set an example - I see a lot of public service announcements in Ben's future

Have the Steelers and/or Bill Cowher themselves said anything about the incident?

<<
Have the Steelers and/or Bill Cowher themselves said anything about the incident?
>>

That inarticulate snarl and raving you've been hearing in the distance the last several days was Cowher trying to get out the words "I told you so you f'in moron!!!"

Wandering Athol said:
Creepy backstory to Roethlisberger's potentially life-threatening crash:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5689966?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5
For now, despite the pain, Roethlisberger has to consider himself a fortunate man. His mother was only 34 when she perished in a car crash while driving to her ex-husband's home to pick up her eight-year-old Ben.

The boy was having a catch with his stepmother, Brenda, while he waited for his mother to arrive. Ida's car was crushed by a pickup truck, leaving her grown-up son to point toward the sky after he puts points on the Steelers' board.

"He's going to be a great ballplayer someday," Ida had written about Ben in her diary.

This is something I had not heard about before. Did I simply miss it during Super Bowl week? In any case, the writer could have made much more of this sad tale than he did: it's almost buried at the end.

Roethlisberger is incredibly lucky. Over the weekend I read a blog which details the terrific crash and terrible injuries suffered by a *bicyclist* who was hit by a car, while *wearing* a helmet. He was left in a coma, and has many months of rehab in front of him to regain speech, motor coordination, etc. It is incredible that Ben's head injury was not more serious, and he, and his fans, should continue to give thanks for some time to come.

More details emerge about accident....

Roethlisberger's Suzuki Hayabusa collided with the passenger side of Fleishman's Chrysler New Yorker. The quarterback's hip struck the car's windshield on the bottom of the passenger's side, Connolly said, and his shoulder hit the middle of the windshield. His head collided with the roof above the windshield, leaving a dent.

Roethlisberger then flipped over the roof of the car and bounced off the trunk before hitting the pavement. His motorcycle slid several feet.
I originally figured BR's head/face hit the windshield leaving the large indentations shown on the accident photos.

he was much luckier than I thought

New Details Here

A football player's body grows somewhat accustomed to collisions. If that had been most of us on that bike, the likely consequences would've been much more severe. In essence, Roethlisberger can thank the McGinests, Freeneys, and Jason Taylors of the NFL for helping him survive this accident.....sweet irony.

Wandering Athol said:

Another Patriots' adrenaline junkie? ;)

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/06/izzo_to_the_air.html
"On Sundays in the fall, Larry Izzo straps on his Patriots helmet and leads the Patriots' special teams coverage units down the field in top speed pursuit of enemy ball carriers. On Friday, June 23, Izzo will strap on a different kind of Patriots helmet and reach speeds he has never imagined.

"Friday morning, Izzo will join Lt. Kevin Davis in the cockpit of an F/A-18 Hornet for a flight demonstration with the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels.

--------------------------------------------------

Reiss' piece goes on to discuss Izzo's long involvement with the military.

It brings up an interesting question: how much risk is too much? Legally, what are the limits contractually that a team can enforce concerning activities outside of the office (in this case the playing field and practice facilities)? With the incredible signing bonuses these players are receiving, very much related to the non-guaranteed nature of most NFL contracts, this is an issue I believe that will be explored more by teams looking to protect their investments in the upcoming years.

Wandering Athol said:
Another Patriots' adrenaline junkie? ;)

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/06/izzo_to_the_air.html
"On Sundays in the fall, Larry Izzo straps on his Patriots helmet and leads the Patriots' special teams coverage units down the field in top speed pursuit of enemy ball carriers. On Friday, June 23, Izzo will strap on a different kind of Patriots helmet and reach speeds he has never imagined.

"Friday morning, Izzo will join Lt. Kevin Davis in the cockpit of an F/A-18 Hornet for a flight demonstration with the U.S. Navy's Blue Angels.

--------------------------------------------------

Reiss' piece goes on to discuss Izzo's long involvement with the military.

It brings up an interesting question: how much risk is too much? Legally, what are the limits contractually that a team can enforce concerning activities outside of the office (in this case the playing field and practice facilities)? With the incredible signing bonuses these players are receiving, very much related to the non-guaranteed nature of most NFL contracts, this is an issue I believe that will be explored more by teams looking to protect their investments in the upcoming years.

I'd say there's about a 1 in a million shot he gets injured or something doing that. The blue angels are some of the best pilots in the world and on the off chance something does happen there's always that eject button. ;)

I think he's in a lot more danger whenever he drives to the stadium to tell you the truth.

<<
The blue angels are some of the best pilots in the world and on the off chance something does happen there's always that eject button
>>

And what few accidents they have had I believe were during air shows when they were doing much more dangeous multi plane maneuvers.

Back