Celtics

I don't normally complain about the refs, it's the NBA and it is what it is, but after watching that 1st quarter something just was not right. And yeah I know games aren't won/lost in the 1st quarter but that phantom foul took Brown out of the game early who started the game hot. They gave Green, a known flopper and agitator, a call where he actually tackled Grant from behind. Grant has been screwed by calls all playoffs, I honestly think the refs hate him. Warriors are a front running team and the refs got involved to keep the C's from pulling away in the 1st, that game could have been much different. The first game was such a great watch, very few whistles and they let them play like it should be in the Finals, then they do the complete opposite in Game 2.

I have to hand it to Green though, he's a smart player no doubt. He knew it would take something big for him to get that 2nd technical so he could crank up his agitating ways, he knows how to walk that line. C's need to keep their composure, Brown especially was awful after that little altercation with Green.
I try to never talk about the refs, but I agree with all of this. The league should really look into a playoff-specific rule along the lines of 3 technicals/intentional/flagrant/whatever TF they call the categories now in a SERIES is automatic full game suspension. Meaning you're out of that game through the same point in the following game. Any further non-personal fouls and you're done for the greater of the series or 2 games (including any following series), and if it's the finals, 8 games (10%) the following year.

It's just too easy to have an agitator in a series control too much of it.

That said, why not have the refs review the Grant/Green play? Not only would you save the early foul on Grant, but that's likely Greens first T right there.

I agree with much of this except for the Ref conspiracy. Grant is disliked by the refs IMO because he cannot just take a foul call and move on. Every call against him he considers a personal attack. A much more effective tactic than complainong about the horrible Green call would be to take it and let others complain for him. The Refs knew they blew that one. So did the announcers. So did Green. Look at Curry. He gets called and usually just raises his hand and moves on. Porter is a little bitch. The grab at Whites leg/shorts was an intended obstruction/retaliation for getting stuffed at the basket. The Refs made the only call they could have but looking at the play he was pissed and lashed out by tripping up White who was clearly jumping over him. A punk move.
Yeah when I said the refs hate Grant, I should have added I do understand why...I still can't see how they could possibly justify that call. I thought Udoka getting a technical to protect the players came too late as well.

I agree with much of this except for the Ref conspiracy. Grant is disliked by the refs IMO because he cannot just take a foul call and move on. Every call against him he considers a personal attack. A much more effective tactic than complaining about the horrible Green call would be to take it and let others complain for him. The Refs knew they blew that one. So did the announcers. So did Green. Look at Curry. He gets called and usually just raises his hand and moves on. Porter is a little bitch. The grab at Whites leg/shorts was an intended obstruction/retaliation for getting stuffed at the basket. The Refs made the only call they could have but looking at the play he was pissed and lashed out by tripping up White who was clearly jumping over him. A punk move.
I'll have to disagree with that one, his reaction to being called for a foul in game 1 where he pushed off of White to get space to shoot a 3 pointer was way over the top, he's really no better than any of the other players when it comes to this stuff. And did anyone here what Green said about not getting that 2nd tech, about how he has earned the right to be given leeway on those calls? He was getting blasted on sports radio this morning for those comments. If anything, he has earned the right to be called for them as he is nothing more than a agitator and reckless player.

I agree with much of this except for the Ref conspiracy.
Not necessarily a conspiracy, but the refs certainly went into that game with a completely different mindset. If it was Foster's crew(known as the great equalizer) I would say well that's probably why, but I don't think he was in Game 2.

Last edited:
I'll have to disagree with that one, his reaction to being called for a foul in game 1 where he pushed off of White to get space to shoot a 3 pointer was way over the top, he's really no better than any of the other players when it comes to this stuff. And did anyone here what Green said about not getting that 2nd tech, about how he has earned the right to be given leeway on those calls? He was getting blasted on sports radio this morning for those comments. If anything, he has earned the right to be called for them as he is nothing more than a agitator and reckless player.

This is good. Maybe the Refs will want to prove they aren't owned by this dickhead. Maybe he has 3 fouls in the first quarter next game..

Draymon Green is a dirty dipshit. But, I don't blame him for getting away with what he can get away with. It's the refs' fault. But, the refs are not why the Celtics lost. They're why they lost. Putrid.

Honestly I am not sure who was worse last night. The Celts or the refs.

And I understand when your team plays that bad you have no business blaming the referees for losing. So I am not about to do that. But this is becoming really embarrassing for the NBA with the officiating being as bad as it has been. It's not one game, it's not for or against one team. These officials are just terrible. How can anyone not wonder if the game is rigged with these terrible calls.

At least the NFL when officials really screw up a call, will sometimes apologize and say "we made a mistake". Not happening in the NBA apparently. Because there was plenty for the NBA to apologize for after last night's game. Kudos to the Celtics for taking the high road postgame. The only guy that even came close to calling the refs out was Jaylen Brown and he even kept from crossing the line.

This is good. Maybe the Refs will want to prove they aren't owned by this dickhead. Maybe he has 3 fouls in the first quarter next game..

Honestly I am not sure who was worse last night. The Celts or the refs.

And I understand when your team plays that bad you have no business blaming the referees for losing. So I am not about to do that. But this is becoming really embarrassing for the NBA with the officiating being as bad as it has been. It's not one game, it's not for or against one team. These officials are just terrible. How can anyone not wonder if the game is rigged with these terrible calls.

At least the NFL when officials really screw up a call, will sometimes apologize and say "we made a mistake". Not happening in the NBA apparently. Because there was plenty for the NBA to apologize for after last night's game. Kudos to the Celtics for taking the high road postgame. The only guy that even came close to calling the refs out was Jaylen Brown and he even kept from crossing the line.
The NBA actually does the same thing in terms of admitting refs' errors and has for a number of years. Search "NBA Last Two Minutes Report" to read about it. But, you're not wrong about the officiating. What boggles my mind is that those reports (which I didn't know existed until the Celtics/Heat series) are met with yawns and "So whats?" from the media and the public, as if the outcomes of games are unaffected by the refs' screw-ups.

Last edited:
I kind of like all the Draymond Green drama, it adds another element, he's even commenting on what Cedric Maxwell had to say about him. I'm guessing the physicality is going to ramp up tonight, assuming the refs don't spoil it.

I don't normally complain about the refs, it's the NBA and it is what it is, but after watching that 1st quarter something just was not right. And yeah I know games aren't won/lost in the 1st quarter but that phantom foul took Brown out of the game early who started the game hot. They gave Green, a known flopper and agitator, a call where he actually tackled Grant from behind. Grant has been screwed by calls all playoffs, I honestly think the refs hate him. Warriors are a front running team and the refs got involved to keep the C's from pulling away in the 1st, that game could have been much different. The first game was such a great watch, very few whistles and they let them play like it should be in the Finals, then they do the complete opposite in Game 2.

I have to hand it to Green though, he's a smart player no doubt. He knew it would take something big for him to get that 2nd technical so he could crank up his agitating ways, he knows how to walk that line. C's need to keep their composure, Brown especially was awful after that little altercation with Green.

Interesting take on the officials.

There seems to be a true conflict between some of them that call fouls strictly on the definition of the rules and those who look at the context of the game, it's importance in a number of areas and officiate with that in mind.

Van Gundy and another announcer were discussing this respectfully the other night when the Draymond Green scuffle with Brown was under review. But you could hear the tensions rising between them.

Rule of law, ie rules, or rule of men and their perspectives.

Not a political topic, its ideological at base.

This issue in the NBA especially appears to highlight a very serious cultural issuwe.

Give me the rule of law any day.

Let's go get em tonight men. Lets get the Garden rocking. 🔥

iZyRJ-39_400x400.jpg

So after a couple pretty involved IRL discussions on this series with a group of 5, 2 Celtics, 2 GS, and one Hornets fan, I came to this:

If both teams play as well as they are capable of playing, the Celtics win the series. But GS is more likely to play at a higher level on average overall than the Celtics. I think the #1 factor in the series is the Celtics focus and intensity on the defensive end. Their huge runs, their momentum, their confidence almost always spring from creating turnovers and stubbed possessions (which is my phrase from when I coached for when a possession generally fails to create a decent shot - that is, the offense comes away frustrated).

marcus smart with another turnover. my blood pressure is. :mad:

I understand when there's good defense, but when they're sloppy and throw it away for no reason it's frustrating. Just slow down for a second.
Most of this team's turnovers. Are self inflicted.

Off to a better start tonight, now stop them in the 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back