Chilli

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
Today I made my first run at making chilli

Ok I made some beginner mistakes, 2-3 to be more precise but fixable

What I have on the stove is a goo but it is not to shabby, yes I have a bit to go but will make another run later today. I am pleased with my first attempt for it is edible and taste not to bad.

So......... since we like chilli here on this forum any tips suggestions or well anything to make my other trial tonight to be better would be nice

I see potential in me being able to do this*as Paz says there is no such thing as try*

Trial 1 was meh but decent Trial 2 was decent working on Trial 3 later on

No one told me making chilli involved being covered in tomatoes that would have been good to know :)

I bet Tommysgirl hates chilli:coffee:

remember, as with most things, the more meat the better.

Today I made my first run at making chilli

Ok I made some beginner mistakes, 2-3 to be more precise but fixable

What I have on the stove is a goo but it is not to shabby, yes I have a bit to go but will make another run later today. I am pleased with my first attempt for it is edible and taste not to bad.

So......... since we like chilli here on this forum any tips suggestions or well anything to make my other trial tonight to be better would be nice

I see potential in me being able to do this*as Paz says there is no such thing as try*

Trial 1 was meh but decent Trial 2 was decent working on Trial 3 later on

No one told me making chilli involved being covered in tomatoes that would have been good to know :)

You wore the white sweater too right?;)

I make chili almost every week.

Started using ground turkey and it's VERY good.

We buy a package I believe called "2 Alarm Chili". It has all the spices pre-measured. Just add meat, tomato sauce, and we also throw in dark red kidney beans and a can of diced tomatoes. It's fantastic! There is no feasible way to mess this up.

I make chili almost every week.

Started using ground turkey and it's VERY good.

We buy a package I believe called "2 Alarm Chili". It has all the spices pre-measured. Just add meat, tomato sauce, and we also throw in dark red kidney beans and a can of diced tomatoes. It's fantastic! There is no feasible way to mess this up.

I been slowing using more ground turkey over beef and agree it is awesome

Well let me ask you this the kidney beans do you soak before you use and if so how long, or do you just cook them before you need them or do you use can kidney beans for that is where I messed up had even chopped peppers and onions

Tip 1, if you're using ground meat (as opposed to big chunks), look for a chili grind or better yet, grind your own. Many stores have started carrying the "chili" grind which is much thicker (almost macaroni thick). Holds up better and makes a good meaty chili. If you grind your own, you can control exactly what's in there and get a better meat to work with.

Tip #2. Chili is almost always better on day 2. :)

Tip 1, if you're using ground meat (as opposed to big chunks), look for a chili grind or better yet, grind your own. Many stores have started carrying the "chili" grind which is much thicker (almost macaroni thick). Holds up better and makes a good meaty chili. If you grind your own, you can control exactly what's in there and get a better meat to work with.

Oh that is a good tip and I know our butcher does that woohoo

I been slowing using more ground turkey over beef and agree it is awesome

Well let me ask you this the kidney beans do you soak before you use and if so how long, or do you just cook them before you need them or do you use can kidney beans for that is where I messed up had even chopped peppers and onions

We use Progresso canned beans. Rinse in a strainer good and you don't have to throw them in until near the end. They tend to get very soft and mushy if put in too early.

Absolutely. No matter what recipe or process you are using I agree.

We use Progresso canned beans. Rinse in a strainer good and you don't have to throw them in until near the end. They tend to get very soft and mushy if put in too early.

Absolutely. No matter what recipe or process you are using I agree.

Thanks Dwight have to pick up some supplies and will try again

I agree with the previous comments about the meat and beans. Here's a minor suggestion that might help: taste the chili (after giving it a good stir to mix the top and bottom) about half an hour before you figure that it will be done and add any needed additional seasoning at that time. This will give the seasoning a chance to mix well and penetrate the meat and beans so that it is more than just a surface seasoning. Also, chili is great when prepared in a slow cooker. allrecipes.com has quite a few great recipes for using a slow cooker. Good luck with your project.:muse:

This. Canned beans are fine (I'll even use the cheapie brands on occasion). Just rinse them and toss them once you've got everything simmering.

I use one by Carrol Shelby that makes an excellent kit. You can get your own ingredients and make a "fresher" mix, and it's a little better, but this stuff just saves a ton of hassle. I use that as my starter, then add whatever I'm in the mood for. Usually a diced onion and bell pepper, beans of choice, meat (grind my own), tomato sauce and paste, and a can of diced tomatoes. I'll play with other ingredients when in the mood, but that's my base.

I don't rinse the beans.. I dump them in there with the brine.. it's just salt water and adds flavor, there's not much liquid in there since it's usually packed pretty solid with beans and it usually needs some more liquid at that point anyway.

The most important thing to me is developing a good "base" for the chili: the tomato-based liquid/stew that the meat, beans, veggies, and spices stew in. Start w/ a couple of cans of diced tomats, with liquid. To this I add several cans of condensed tomato soup. You now have a nice tomato-base to build upon.

Now here's the fun part - raid the fridge and add anything which you think will add flavor. Seriously, just about anything.

Some of the things I've used in the past include bourbon, beer, BBQ sauce, coffee, red wine, mustard, worchestershire sauce, molasses, maple syrup, various hot sauces, chocolate sauce, ah-so sauce, vinegar, apple cider, etc. Really almost anything goes.

The base is what will infuse your meat and beans with flavor and really make your chili unique. And when you factor in the possibilities with the combos of proteins, bean styles, and veggies the possibilities are limitless.

For veggies I personally like fresh garlic, onions and bell peppers. Use fresh chili peppers or crushed red pepper for heat.

I've made chili a million times and I've never made it the same way twice. All depends on what ingredients are handy.

I agree with the previous comments about the meat and beans. Here's a minor suggestion that might help: taste the chili (after giving it a good stir to mix the top and bottom) about half an hour before you figure that it will be done and add any needed additional seasoning at that time. This will give the seasoning a chance to mix well and penetrate the meat and beans so that it is more than just a surface seasoning. Also, chili is great when prepared in a slow cooker. allrecipes.com has quite a few great recipes for using a slow cooker. Good luck with your project.:muse:

Well here is my or where I fault

Before I added the beans it was JUST RIGHT, on my first try I was like

woohoo friggen woohoo

Then I added the beans and screwed it up

:sulk::sulk:

and then i forgot to write down what seasons I had put in there for it was JUST RIGHT

:sulk:

Will try again

Tellin' ya, 2 Alarm. Can't mess it up in any way.

My suggestion:

Make your dinner. After you're done, start the chili for TOMORROW night. Brown your meat. Add all ingredients. And slow cook for a few hrs. Cover.(We leave ours covered on the stovetop overnight). Then tomorrow afternoon start on lo again, add the beans, and in an hour your dinner is totally ready.

Don't forget the cornbread.

And beer.

Back