College football 2023 thread

ParanoidPatriot

Big member
Reaction score
I think that there is a College Football thread somewhere but I can't find it.

More importantly than the top 25 or any upcoming games is the realignment of the major conference.
It looks like the PAC12 is going to desolve. Last year USC and UCLA announced that they were joining the Big10.
Then league doormat, Colorado, announced that they were joining the Big12. Last fall Big12 powerhouses Oklahoma and Texas announced that they were joining the SEC. Now it looks like PAC12 teams AZ, ASU, and Utah are going the Big12. And it looks like Washington and Oregon are leaving the PAC12 for the Big10.
Awfully quiet in all of this is the ACC. I won't be surprised if they take Stanford and even Cal.
So, instead on having the Power 5 conferences, it will be the Power4 in 2024.

More importantly than the top 25 or any upcoming games is the realignment of the major conference.
It looks like the PAC12 is going to desolve. Last year USC and UCLA announced that they were joining the Big10.
Then league doormat, Colorado, announced that they were joining the Big12. Last fall Big12 powerhouses Oklahoma and Texas announced that they were joining the SEC. Now it looks like PAC12 teams AZ, ASU, and Utah are going the Big12. And it looks like Washington and Oregon are leaving the PAC12 for the Big10.
Awfully quiet in all of this is the ACC. I won't be surprised if they take Stanford and even Cal.

Polite suggestion, why not rename this thread, 'College Football 2023 Thread'. We can all post here then during the season as there's a good following on the board for college ball.

Polite suggestion, why not rename this thread, 'College Football 2023 Thread'. We can all post here then during the season as there's a good following on the board for college ball.
I took your suggestion under advisement, discussed it people on the golf coarse, and it was unanimous.:lol:

So the Big 10, which had 11 teams, has 13 and will have 15, and the Big 12 had 13, but then 11, but will have 16?

Can we maybe rename them the Big 6 and the Medium-sized 19?

I think the whole thing is kinda WAC.

So the Big 10, which had 11 teams, has 13 and will have 15, and the Big 12 had 13, but then 11, but will have 16?

Can we maybe rename them the Big 6 and the Medium-sized 19?

I think the whole thing is kinda WAC.
Yes, that's just about right. The PAC12 is the PAC4 for now, but they could join the WAC or the WAC could join them.

The ACC is murmuring. In this state, UNC vs NC State is one the biggest rivalry for this state They are talking about moving NCS out of the ACC from what I read and heard. People arent happy.

The ACC is murmuring. In this state, UNC vs NC State is one the biggest rivalry for this state They are talking about moving NCS out of the ACC from what I read and heard. People arent happy.
Well compared to the other conferences, the ACC's TV contract is garbage - but they're all stuck there until 2036. Florida State is already looking into suing the ACC to get out of it. And if that happens, Clemson will probably go with them to the SEC. (Which would bring them to 18)

Big 10 now has 18 teams as well.

Pac12 has 4, and they will probably merge with the Mountain West, although Cal and Stanford might wait and see if the Big 10 or SEC wants to go to 20 teams, and the Big 10 has been sniffing around UNC and UVA.

ACC tried hard to get some of those teams that went to the Big 10 from the Pac 12, and basically got told to go screw, so the ACC might be in real trouble long-term.

The new 12-team playoff is going to have to be re-worked already.

This is all so stupid, these conferences are diluting their product for short-term monetary gain. Can't wait for those 3-8 UCLA vs. 2-9 Illinois games in December in the early window, and this isn't just going to hurt football programs. If you're a volleyball player at Oregon, are you going to want to sit on a Southwest flight for 5 hours across 3 time zones, and stay in a Motel 6, 5 times a month? Or would you rather do that at Mississippi State and have a 2 hour flight at most?

With all this realignment & super conferences I can't believe that ND wants to stay independent. I like ND & always have but they are going to have a very tough time going forward I think.

Well compared to the other conferences, the ACC's TV contract is garbage - but they're all stuck there until 2036. Florida State is already looking into suing the ACC to get out of it. And if that happens, Clemson will probably go with them to the SEC. (Which would bring them to 18)

Big 10 now has 18 teams as well.

Pac12 has 4, and they will probably merge with the Mountain West, although Cal and Stanford might wait and see if the Big 10 or SEC wants to go to 20 teams, and the Big 10 has been sniffing around UNC and UVA.

ACC tried hard to get some of those teams that went to the Big 10 from the Pac 12, and basically got told to go screw, so the ACC might be in real trouble long-term.

The new 12-team playoff is going to have to be re-worked already.

This is all so stupid, these conferences are diluting their product for short-term monetary gain. Can't wait for those 3-8 UCLA vs. 2-9 Illinois games in December in the early window, and this isn't just going to hurt football programs. If you're a volleyball player at Oregon, are you going to want to sit on a Southwest flight for 5 hours across 3 time zones, and stay in a Motel 6, 5 times a month? Or would you rather do that at Mississippi State and have a 2 hour flight at most?
All of this. Well said.

ACC is a mess, been a mess and yes they are stuck for a few years.

With all this realignment & super conferences I can't believe that ND wants to stay independent. I like ND & always have but they are going to have a very tough time going forward I think.
I think they go to the Big 10 if they go anywhere. They still have their own TV deal after all for football, and play in the ACC for everything else. And if Stanford and Cal go independent as well, they could end up in some mini-agreement with independent schools, who knows at this point.

But they're in a unique position, they don't have to join any conference because of money.

ACC is a mess, been a mess and yes they are stuck for a few years.
I mean, you could blame all of this being set in motion by them poaching the Big East schools in the early 2000s.

I mean, you could blame all of this being set in motion by them poaching the Big East schools in the early 2000s.
It did, IMHO, started there. And the snowball just kept growing.

Maybe a naive question. Why doesn't the whole thing go national? Just make it like the NFL with conferences and divisions and do it that way? Get the 32 biggest schools and put them in, and maybe have a division II below the top level and allow for relegation and promotion.

Maybe a naive question. Why doesn't the whole thing go national? Just make it like the NFL with conferences and divisions and do it that way? Get the 32 biggest schools and put them in, and maybe have a division II below the top level and allow for relegation and promotion.
Because it's not a professional sport.

Conferences only started in order to make for ease-of-travel between regions and also so that schools could build traditional rivalries outside of simply in-state or cross-state.

1) It's not supposed to be a money-making endeavor, even though that's what it's become. It's supposed to be a money-saving endeavor.
2)The amount of bitching and whining between those 'divisions' would be intolerable. Can you imagine if Michigan State or Florida ended up school #33 one year?

1) It's not supposed to be a money-making endeavor, even though that's what it's become. It's supposed to be a money-saving endeavor.
2)The amount of bitching and whining between those 'divisions' would be intolerable. Can you imagine if Michigan State or Florida ended up school #33 one year?
No one can imagine that.

Last edited:
Why? What would the difference be? I'm an ND fan who never really understood the issue with conferences and all that, but I never put much thought into it. The only thing I can think of that would be a problem is if for some reason teams didn't want to play ND anymore. I suppose that could be an issue in the longer term, but from what I understand teams always make money playing ND, home or away.

Back