Cutdowns

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
So now that the draft is over, which players/veterans get cut? Haven't heard anything about Danny A. restructuring, so I'm hoping he's not one of them. Bill made mention in his post-draft presser about some vets will probably get released.

The Thuney-pick resulted in some talk about Cannon being cut. A player that should be even more concerned imo is Josh Kline. The Patriots would save about $1.5M against the cap by dumping him.

And I'm not sure Dobson makes it through camp. Or to camp.

Some possibilities in my mind

WR Nate Washington
OT Marcus Cannon
RG Chris Barker
TE Mike Williams
WR Aaron Dobson
RB Joey Iosefa
LB James Vaughters

Q: How do you evaluate balancing who is already on place on the roster and these draft choices?
BB: Yeah, well, I think that’s a good question. I think that on Monday’s waiver wire you’re going to see a lot of players on it throughout the league because of players that were drafted or acquired or free agents, whatever it happens to be, that other transactions will offset those or be part of the process so we’ll just have to see how all of that plays out. There’s definitely a little bit of juggling there. I’d say the main thing for me would be that if the player’s circumstances change to the point where you don’t really think you can give that player a fair opportunity, then it’s in your best interest and his best interest to move on and let him find a better opportunity somewhere else. I’d say that’s not an infrequent situation. It comes up. It’s not going to be 20 guys, but there’s a player that’s going to end up getting stacked behind a few guys and you’re going to be able to really give him the opportunity that you thought you would, at a different point of time, then when things change I think that the player appreciates rather than go through training camp, and get halfway through camp and see what is already evident now then that makes it a lot easier for him now to find a better opportunity. When that’s the case, that’s how we usually try to approach, I think that league wide that’s what you’ll see from a lot of team. You’ll probably see some guys who are not with a team now go to a team based on some teams not being able to maybe acquire a certain position or need in the draft and then looking to a veteran player who’s unsigned to possibly fill that spot, or compete for it.
http://musketfire.com/2016/05/01/nfl-draft-what-did-bill-belichick-have-to-say-on-his-picks/4/

Not many clearly open roster spots open from what I can gather. If they fit some rookies on it, it'll be at the expense of some capable vets.

Do the Pats need to clear cap space?

Do the Pats need to clear cap space?

Yes, but they can wait some more. If they can clear $3M between now and the start of the season they should be fine imo.

They need more if they want to extend Collins or Butler, though.

So now that the draft is over, which players/veterans get cut? Haven't heard anything about Danny A. restructuring, so I'm hoping he's not one of them. Bill made mention in his post-draft presser about some vets will probably get released.

I think Amendola , Dobson, cannon & kline will get released. I hope they can keep Amendola. I doubt he will restructure his deal again .

I think Amendola , Dobson, cannon & kline will get released. I hope they can keep Amendola. I doubt he will restructure his deal again .

The one thing about Danny that makes me think he'll restructure is the fact that he has a very sweet 59-yr old mother who is very frail and ill that is in an assisted living facility right near here, and by here I mean the Foxboro/Sharon area, that he goes to see frequently. He also has aunts and other family members that live in RI. Plus, the girlfriend. I think he does whatever he has to do so he can remain in the area.

S
Q: How do you evaluate balancing who is already on place on the roster and these draft choices?
BB: Yeah, well, I think that’s a good question. I think that on Monday’s waiver wire you’re going to see a lot of players on it throughout the league because of players that were drafted or acquired or free agents, whatever it happens to be, that other transactions will offset those or be part of the process so we’ll just have to see how all of that plays out. There’s definitely a little bit of juggling there. I’d say the main thing for me would be that if the player’s circumstances change to the point where you don’t really think you can give that player a fair opportunity, then it’s in your best interest and his best interest to move on and let him find a better opportunity somewhere else. I’d say that’s not an infrequent situation. It comes up. It’s not going to be 20 guys, but there’s a player that’s going to end up getting stacked behind a few guys and you’re going to be able to really give him the opportunity that you thought you would, at a different point of time, then when things change I think that the player appreciates rather than go through training camp, and get halfway through camp and see what is already evident now then that makes it a lot easier for him now to find a better opportunity. When that’s the case, that’s how we usually try to approach, I think that league wide that’s what you’ll see from a lot of team. You’ll probably see some guys who are not with a team now go to a team based on some teams not being able to maybe acquire a certain position or need in the draft and then looking to a veteran player who’s unsigned to possibly fill that spot, or compete for it.

http://musketfire.com/2016/05/01/nfl-draft-what-did-bill-belichick-have-to-say-on-his-picks/4/

I think that's the politest way of firing a bunch of people I've ever heard.

"We're not cutting you. We're giving you the best chance to find a better opportunity"

Nate Washington's making the team. I'm pretty sure he's starting, unless something weird happens.

Holy crap, dude. :coffee:

DEW did you see my reason . I don't think there keep him. Unless he restructure his deal to stay . We do have hogan or Martin that can play slot WR . If he is released.

Can he?

I thought there was a rule in the CBA about not "taking a pay cut" two years in a row.

I don't know the specifics of the rule, or what it defines as a "cut", but assuming I'm recalling it's existence correctly, it may limit what restructuring can be done.

Can he?

I thought there was a rule in the CBA about not "taking a pay cut" two years in a row.

I don't know the specifics of the rule, or what it defines as a "cut", but assuming I'm recalling it's existence correctly, it may limit what restructuring can be done.

I have a vague memory of a rule like that, but I can't find anything in the CBA. So I guess it doesn't exist.

Will Amendola agree to a straight pay cut? Doubt it. Will he agree to a restructure that allows him to earn lost base salary back via incentives, similar to last year? I'd think so. Will the Patriots pay him a $5M base salary and up to $500k in per game roster boni? I don't see that happening.

I have a vague memory of a rule like that, but I can't find anything in the CBA. So I guess it doesn't exist.

Will Amendola agree to a straight pay cut? Doubt it. Will he agree to a restructure that allows him to earn lost base salary back via incentives, similar to last year? I'd think so. Will the Patriots pay him a $5M base salary and up to $500k in per game roster boni? I don't see that happening.

GP, what would be the cap hit if the Pats cut him?

Could they have a wink-wink deal to cut him and then bring him back at a lower salary/base/incentive scale in the event that there is a provision that a player can't take a pay cut two years in a row?

Of course, there's always the pesky waiver wire thingy, right?

BB has consistently said nobody works harder.

He's productive.

He does STs.

He has Brady's trust.( possibly his biggest check mark)

There's SO many more that would make sense.

So of course he's a goner.

DEW did you see my reason . I don't think there keep him. Unless he restructure his deal to stay . We do have hogan or Martin that can play slot WR . If he is released.

Oh come on. This is your irrational hatred for Danny Amendola, talking. :coffee:

GP, what would be the cap hit if the Pats cut him?

His cap hit would drop from $6.8M to $2.73M if cut before June 2. If he's cut after that his cap hit would be $1.36M in 2016 and 2017 each.

Could they have a wink-wink deal to cut him and then bring him back at a lower salary/base/incentive scale in the event that there is a provision that a player can't take a pay cut two years in a row?

That would be possible. The Patriots did something similar with a couple vet minimum guys a few years ago. Gives other teams the chance to jump in with a better offer of course.

Of course, there's always the pesky waiver wire thingy, right?

Nope. Amendola is a vested veteran he's not subject to waivers until after the trade deadline.

His cap hit would drop from $6.8M to $2.73M if cut before June 2. If he's cut after that his cap hit would be $1.36M in 2016 and 2017 each.

That would be possible. The Patriots did something similar with a couple vet minimum guys a few years ago. Gives other teams the chance to jump in with a better offer of course.

Nope. Amendola is a vested veteran he's not subject to waivers until after the trade deadline.

Seems like a possibility of this might be high. We'll see, I guess.

Back