David Patten might be available

TrueBeliever

Hater hater
Reaction score
According to an AP story I saw, the Skins might release David Patten or seek to trade him. Think BB might want to bring him back?

Ugh I was never a big fan of Patten when he was here. Too many dropped balls in between the occasional spectacular play.

Scenario:

2006 Season, week 6, Deion Branch inactive, starting wideouts for the first snap are David Patten, Troy Brown, Chad Jackson. Brady surveys the field, Patten is ahead of his man 30 yds downfield, Brady lofts it, Patten catches it, runs for TD.

What's the point? The Pats damned well better have some able backups, because seriously, what's the chances that Deion Branch will go all 16 games without being inactive at some point?

Yup, Pattens a decent receiver. And let's hope they get Ty Law signed up too....they always seem to be very needy at the corner position.

BTW, any predictions about which veteran offensive lineman will be signed, only to have him retire about 2 days into camp?

Steve1 said:
any predictions about which veteran offensive lineman will be signed, only to have him retire about 2 days into camp?
Adriene Klemm

patten was the best at getting knocked out, fumbling and touching the ball while out of bounds

mikiemo83 said:
Adriene Klemm

patten was the best at getting knocked out, fumbling and touching the ball while out of bounds

Yo, Adrian!!!!!!!

Oh, yeah.....I forgot about that play by Patten (I have been passed out out of bounds, I think in Buffalo, and I can't get up....help me.........)

Sure, people talk about that pesky tuck rule, and they talk about that darned field goal to win the sb, but Every freakin buddy forgets David Patten, sprawled out, mostly out of bounds, but still touching the in-bounds ball. HAHA Still Patriots ball, in OT, and the Pats winning streak continued....Oh I could write a whole damned book about That play.........

Steve1 said:
Scenario:

2006 Season, week 6, Deion Branch inactive, starting wideouts for the first snap are David Patten, Troy Brown, Chad Jackson. Brady surveys the field, Patten is ahead of his man 30 yds downfield, Brady lofts it, Patten catches it, runs for TD.
?

For every one of those Patten caught he dropped about 6. Yes he's a burner no question about that, but his hands suck.

harrisonhits said:
For every one of those Patten caught he dropped about 6. Yes he's a burner no question about that, but his hands suck.

Yeah, I remember a couple from 2001 where Brady couldn't quite get the ball to the right place, and therefor Patten could not haul it in.....or do you believe in the axiom "if it touches your fingers, you should catch it"?

No, I don't believe Patten missed many catches that were at truly "catchable", but I could be mistaken.....

Pasquarelli over at ESPN opines about the possibility of Patten being part of the June 1 cuts:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...n&id=2462995&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines
WR David Patten, Washington: The nine-year veteran signed a five-year, $13 million deal with the Redskins last spring that included a $3.5 million signing bonus. But Patten played in just nine games and posted only 22 receptions for 217 yards, with two touchdowns. The acquisitions of veterans Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El this spring means Patten is probably no better than a No. 4 or No. 5 receiver. And his 2006 base salary of $1.085 million is a little pricey for that role.

---------------------------------------------

This could happen. It would cost the 'Skins $700,000 against the cap in dead money this year (of course, they'd eat the remaining $2.1MM in signing bonus dead money in 2007, but isn't that the "Snyder way"?). Meanwhile, they'd save similar money by playing some "body" at minimum salary to play #4 or #5 WR. Hence, the cap hit for 2006 could be minimal.

harrisonhits said:

He made two of the more spectacular and important catches the season of their first Superbowl victory (the TD from Drew in the AFCCG and a TD in the Superbowl). That's what Annihilus always seems to remember about Patten.

Annihilus says bring him back.

i'll always remember brady's 4th start in 2001 against the colts.

david patten had a 29 yard TD run, caught a 91 yard TD pass from brady, threw a 60 yard TD pass to troy brown and caught another TD pass from brady at the end.

pats win 38-17.

patten is very fast and has worked with brady before. brady was kinda sad to see him go.

for the right price, i think he could help the pats as i think they are still a little thin at receiver.

stainlee said:
for the right price, i think he could help the pats as i think they are still a little thin at receiver.

I agree that, for the right price, he's welcome to come to camp.

Whether or not they're thin at receiver mainly depends on how Reche Caldwell looks in camp, and whether Chad Jackson picks it up quickly, and whether Bethel decides he finally wants to be a football player.

If those three guys step it up, when you add in Branch as the main man and Troy as the security blanket, it's not too bad.

Don't forget, we're hoping this is finally the year they figure out they can throw to the tight ends as well as have them max-protect, LOL. If the O-line can keep Brady upright on their own, of course...

stainlee said:

david patten had a 29 yard TD run, caught a 91 yard TD pass from brady, threw a 60 yard TD pass to troy brown and caught another TD pass from brady at the end.

pats win 38-17.

Yeah, I was at that game and his performance that day is principally why I want him to come back.

I'll admit that he's not perfect. As I recall we lost a game in Denver in 2002 because he dropped a pass in the end zone that he really should have caught.

I'll also admit that for every super play he has - the Indy game, the TD catches in the AFCCG and Super Bowl that same year - there's at least one time (or more) that he blew it. But if the price is right and he's willing to work, I think we could do a lot worse, especially with how thin our receiver corps is right now (though we do have some good TEs to pick up the slack.)

stainlee said:

I loved that. I remember seeing a Colts fan come onto a Pats board for the first time after that game and he said "Good game, but who the hell is David Patten?!"

ROFL

TrueBeliever said:
Yeah, I was at that game and his performance that day is principally why I want him to come back.

I'll admit that he's not perfect. As I recall we lost a game in Denver in 2002 because he dropped a pass in the end zone that he really should have caught.

as i recall, both givens and branch dropped balls last year on a drive late in the game in the 28-20 loss to the broncos.

the patriots, led by brady, just always seem to have a hard time with denver and miami.

I'd be cool with David coming back. I always thought he was a very good receiver. As someone said, do you really think that Deion will be healthy for all 16 games? David knows the system, has proven his worth in the past, and if the price is right, I'd bet BB would be happy to have him back. Interesting to see what eventually happens.

Undertaker #59 said:
I loved that. I remember seeing a Colts fan come onto a Pats board for the first time after that game and he said "Good game, but who the hell is David Patten?!"

ROFL

I remember calling for Patten's head after the first three games...he never caught anything that went near him.

He was a case of "when he was good, he was really good, and when he was bad, he was really bad".

This was me in the stands when he caught that TD pass:

"Geez that's a long one he's not going to catch it wait he's going to catch it oh my God HE CAUGHT IT GO GO GO GO HE'S GOING TO GO ALL THE WAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

Most fun I've ever had at an away Pats game I attended. Everyone thought Indy would wipe the dome with us and instead we walked all over them.

BTW, that catch for a TD broke the team record for longest TD pass play set by Tony Eason - though I believe it has since been broken again.

TrueBeliever said:
This was me in the stands when he caught that TD pass:

"Geez that's a long one he's not going to catch it wait he's going to catch it oh my God HE CAUGHT IT GO GO GO GO HE'S GOING TO GO ALL THE WAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

Most fun I've ever had at an away Pats game I attended. Everyone thought Indy would wipe the dome with us and instead we walked all over them.

BTW, that catch for a TD broke the team record for longest TD pass play set by Tony :Eason: Eason - though I believe it has since been broken again.

i just had to add a little something to your post TB.

after all, the emoticon is named in his honor.

Another reason why a trade for a WR might be in the works.... :spock:

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
Redskins | Patten not expected to be released
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 17:23:08 -0700

Gary Fitzgerald, of Redskins.com, reports Washington Redskins WR David Patten, contrary to reports, is not expected to be released by the team in June. "It's totally untrue," vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said. "I'll tell you what, David Patten has looked good out there (in OTA's). He's making plays. He'll get his opportunities."

Back