Deal close with Mankins? Signed - 6 years

Yeah, they were talking about it on the radio, I am so happy he came to terms

:patriots! 4 LIFE

well, the Pats know what they are doing, but to me, $8 mil a year is just too much to pay for a guard. If you're going to pay top dollar for a guy, do it in a position that makes a difference. The are no OGs who become league MVP, no OG RoY, no superbowl MVP OG. If we had a better OT in the Giants superbowl, or better OLBs, or RB, or almost anything, but having the best guard in the league didn't help us. Not his fault. He's just a guard. They are not why we lose games or win games.

well, the Pats know what they are doing, but to me, $8 mil a year is just too much to pay for a guard. If you're going to pay top dollar for a guy, do it in a position that makes a difference. The are no OGs who become league MVP, no OG RoY, no superbowl MVP OG. If we had a better OT in the Giants superbowl, or better OLBs, or RB, or almost anything, but having the best guard in the league didn't help us. Not his fault. He's just a guard. They are not why we lose games or win games.

For the most part I agree with one huge, I think, exception; Mankins is THE tone-setter on our line. I would prefer that to be a Center but, it isn't. We need Mankins and he is the best out there.

You act like a troll.

But...

The troll does have a point, somewhat.

Ever since the departure of the Two Fat Ladies (Weis and Crennel), we've seen some notable pants-shitting.

We can talk about the youth on the team and rebuilding all we want. Bottom line is:

2006: worst AFCCG lead-loss ever in loss to Colts.
2007: 18-0 and TGTSNBM.
2008: The Knee. First team to reach 11-5 and miss the playoffs.
2009: AFCE division win, but loss at home to beatable Ravens.
2010: AFCE division win w/league-best 14-2 record, but loss at home to average Jets.

That, my friends, is a whole lotta suck. And last year Belichick got clearly and badly outcoached by The Toe Lover.

(Sadly, his best coaching job in the past half-decade was probably the only year they DIDN'T make the playoffs. Getting that Brady-less '08 team to 11-5 under Cassel was masterful.)

Is it a coincidence that Belichick was at his best with Weis and Crennel? Probably not. Not necessarily because they're so awesome (witness their failures on their own), but they WERE knowledgeable, and probably gave Belichick some alternative ideas and at least might said, "Hey, Bill, that play call sucks" (and I don't know if the people around Bill do that now). Parcells was a great coach, but he also did his best work with Belichick.

If the Pats have another rip-roaring season, and crap their pants at home again in round one, I'll be forced to admit that maybe Belichick DOES need some help. At least it would allow him to delegate somewhat and focus his brainpower more where it's needed. Bill Gates is a great company head, but even he can't do all of his work as well as write the programs, answer the phones, and scrub the toilets.

2006. The coach can not control defensive players not executing. They weren't out coached, they were out played.
2007. The coach can't control offensive players not executing. Again, they were out played, not out coached.
2008. Coaching brilliance. Canada is the reason the Pats missed the playoffs. Yes, you read that right. Blame Canada.
2009. Offensive ineptitude. I'm pretty sure even the worst coach in the league won't tell the QB, "Turn the ball over 3 times in the 1st quarter."
2010. Coached a 10-6 team to 14-2. I again am sure BB didn't tell the QB, "This is a good time to break your streak."

BB is the best coach in this generation and one of the GOAT. He has always had a small staff. He delegates and expects accountability. The only drawbacks that I see to his coaching are not going younger sooner. I'm sure he is well aware of this and would have if he could have. There are a lot of variables and a fine balance between experience and youth. It is not an exact science, but BB has worked the balance better than every other coach.

2006. The coach can not control defensive players not executing. They weren't out coached, they were out played.
2007. The coach can't control offensive players not executing. Again, they were out played, not out coached.
2008. Coaching brilliance. Canada is the reason the Pats missed the playoffs. Yes, you read that right. Blame Canada.
2009. Offensive ineptitude. I'm pretty sure even the worst coach in the league won't tell the QB, "Turn the ball over 3 times in the 1st quarter."
2010. Coached a 10-6 team to 14-2. I again am sure BB didn't tell the QB, "This is a good time to break your streak."

BB is the best coach in this generation and one of the GOAT. He has always had a small staff. He delegates and expects accountability. The only drawbacks that I see to his coaching are not going younger sooner. I'm sure he is well aware of this and would have if he could have. There are a lot of variables and a fine balance between experience and youth. It is not an exact science, but BB has worked the balance better than every other coach.

To be fair, JD is absolutely correct that NE was outcoached in the Jet and Giant playoff games. I just think that personnel makes a bigger difference than coaching.

Frankly, I could easily make the argument that NE was outcoached in the 2003 and 2004 SBs, only to be bailed out by NE's supremely talented roster.

BT, Just an FYI. I merged your first Mankins deal thread with your second Mankins deal thread.
So does that make me the first Planeteer to merge with himself???:LOL:

Anyway I have no issue at all with your decision to merge me with me.

But just FYI, I started a separate thread, as they say, not for nothing. My reasoning was simply that I've been waiting to find out the details, and assumed that others were also. You can't announce to the Planet that the numbers are in on a deal, without a caption. My motivation sounds in public service. ;).

Cheers, BostonTim

To be fair, JD is absolutely correct that NE was outcoached in the Jet and Giant playoff games. I just think that personnel makes a bigger difference than coaching.

Frankly, I could easily make the argument that NE was outcoached in the 2003 and 2004 SBs, only to be bailed out by NE's supremely talented roster.

I agree with this, the personnel has changed quite a bit over the years. I mean 2005 the pats oline took a major hit with injuries. 2006 the pats lost both their starting wideouts number 1 and number 2. 2007 was great, they made it to the superbowl, but sometimes, you just lose, it happens. No teams has won 10 superbowls in a row, so that is that. 2008, they played well but we had a few injuries as well, 2009, was heavy transition, and so was 2010 for the most part. 2004, 2003, things were very balanced on offense and defense and special teams, not sure its been that way since.

I agree with this, the personnel has changed quite a bit over the years. I mean 2005 the pats oline took a major hit with injuries. 2006 the pats lost both their starting wideouts number 1 and number 2. 2007 was great, they made it to the superbowl, but sometimes, you just lose, it happens. No teams has won 10 superbowls in a row, so that is that. 2008, they played well but we had a few injuries as well, 2009, was heavy transition, and so was 2010 for the most part. 2004, 2003, things were very balanced on offense and defense and special teams, not sure its been that way since.

hopefully this is the year we regain that balance, best thing about those years was that when the offense struggles the defense picked up the slack and vice versa, lately it's been offense struggles defense packs in the bags as well.

Back