DeMarcus Covington - Patriots' New DC

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
This is a good article that tells us why he'll make a good DC. It's from 2 years ago so he's still on the upward track he's set for himself, aiming to be a HC one day.
He met Flores during a scouting session and Flores recommended him to BB. BB went out of his way to meet Covington while on the pre-draft scouting trail in 2017 and offered him a job.

Good read

I like this hire, no issue with it; he was a bright spark on the coaching staff with the D last season and is clearly an up-and-comer.

Now, we all wait to see who the hell we get as OC. Mayo needs to make a splash with a real rising star.

I like this hire, no issue with it; he was a bright spark on the coaching staff with the D last season and is clearly an up-and-comer.

Now, we all wait to see who the hell we get as OC. Mayo needs to make a splash with a real rising star.

I'd like to see him name a guy from Shanahan's tree, personally. That O is so easy for the players to learn, esp the QB, and doesn't require the QB to be anything
special other than smart and accurate on short to intermediate passes. Yet at the same time it's confounding to defenses bc it's hard to cover all the threats presented in different
ways every play. It does require an OL well versed in outside zone blocking schemes. That requires a great teacher who knows it inside and out. 2 yrs ago Patricia tried
but he didn't know enough about it himself and failed miserably.

I'd actually love to see Zac Robinson as OC and Nick Caley as QB coach/passing coordinator.

I like this hire. It's nice to get some new blood. I wonder where Steve Belichick will land?

15th in yards, 7th in points. That's the bar.

I will say he did a good job turning Davon Godchaux from a borderline bust into an excellent player.

I'd like to see him name a guy from Shanahan's tree, personally. That O is so easy for the players to learn, esp the QB, and doesn't require the QB to be anything
special other than smart and accurate on short to intermediate passes. Yet at the same time it's confounding to defenses bc it's hard to cover all the threats presented in different
ways every play. It does require an OL well versed in outside zone blocking schemes. That requires a great teacher who knows it inside and out. 2 yrs ago Patricia tried
but he didn't know enough about it himself and failed miserably.

I'd actually love to see Zac Robinson as OC and Nick Caley as QB coach/passing coordinator.

To go to a Wide Zone really everything has to be right, the OLine has to be able to block it; the RB needs to be able to read zone blocking, and fast enough to make the edge; QB has to be able to read, and be accurate (both in ball placement and in anticipation)

I have my preferences in the draft, but the OC will be the key to how the draft goes (or at least it should be).

EDIT: "Wide Spread" changed to "Wide Zone"

Last edited:
To go to a Wide Spread really everything has to be right, the OLine has to be able to block it; the RB needs to be able to read zone blocking, and fast enough to make the edge; QB has to be able to read, and be accurate (both in ball placement and in anticipation)

I have my preferences in the draft, but the OC will be the key to how the draft goes (or at least it should be).
True.

That said, the vast, vast majority of players are far more used to that style of play than a pro style of play.
Also, look at the final 4 teams. How many run a wide spread/air raid offense? None. They're all pro-style offenses.

True.

That said, the vast, vast majority of players are far more used to that style of play than a pro style of play.
Also, look at the final 4 teams. How many run a wide spread/air raid offense? None. They're all pro-style offenses.

Fair, especially since I meant to say "wide Zone", not "wide Spread"....my bad!

What other franchise fires its head coach and promotes the people under him? The whole house should have been cleaned. They may as well draft the best player at the top of the draft regardless of position. Something tells me another top five pick is coming next year.

What other franchise fires its head coach and promotes the people under him? The whole house should have been cleaned. They may as well draft the best player at the top of the draft regardless of position. Something tells me another top five pick is coming next year.
Because the Krafts believed that Bill was the sole and only problem in the team. Watch Josh walk back through the door as well.

He ended up staying with his team from last year, so it's not a big deal.

It's embarrassing because Mayo offered Williams the job in competition with the Falcons and Williams chose the Falcons over the Patriots.
Mayo shouldn't have offered Williams the job unless he knew Williams actually wanted the job. These things are done behind closed doors.
It's also embarrassing that the rejection leaked out in public.
That's a misstep Mayo probably won't make again.

not only this BUT THE KRAFTS INSTALLED MAYO AS THE REPLACEMENT HC 1 YEAR AGO!!! THEY HAVE HAD ALL THIS TIME TO HAVE A PLAN AND A BACKUP PLAN ETC.
IT.IS.DUMB.

Last edited:
I am in total agreement with this. Either rebuild or don't. Firing one guy is a PR move.

Back