DeMarcus Covington - Patriots' New DC

What other franchise fires its head coach and promotes the people under him? The whole house should have been cleaned. They may as well draft the best player at the top of the draft regardless of position. Something tells me another top five pick is coming next year.
I think it is obvious the Kraft's saw Bill as the main problem. We will see if they end up being right.

I think it is obvious the Kraft's saw Bill as the main problem. We will see if they end up being right.
Here's the thing Mazz. Even if he's the main problem - even if he's 75% of the problem - NOBODY ELSE gets any percentage of blame? Not the coaching staff, not the front office, not the players, nobody. What the Patriots have done to this point is say 100% of the problem was Bill Belichick - and you're right, we'll see if that's correct. I suppose O'Brien leaving on his own says something in that regard? But even he wasn't fired, he just left. He didn't get the full drag job Belichick got - which means to me the Krafts didn't think he was the problem either.

If they bring in Nick Caley or Josh McDaniels as the OC - they'll be continuing to say that, by the way.

To this point - they're saying the Patriots were actually Championship contenders, but Bill Belichick, and Bill Belichick alone, held them back to the point of 4-13. I can't imagine even you believe that.

What other franchise fires its head coach and promotes the people under him? The whole house should have been cleaned. They may as well draft the best player at the top of the draft regardless of position. Something tells me another top five pick is coming next year.
Get ready for a new high in low with Team Schmuck

Here's the thing Mazz. Even if he's the main problem - even if he's 75% of the problem - NOBODY ELSE gets any percentage of blame? Not the coaching staff, not the front office, not the players, nobody. What the Patriots have done to this point is say 100% of the problem was Bill Belichick - and you're right, we'll see if that's correct. I suppose O'Brien leaving on his own says something in that regard? But even he wasn't fired, he just left. He didn't get the full drag job Belichick got - which means to me the Krafts didn't think he was the problem either.

If they bring in Nick Caley or Josh McDaniels as the OC - they'll be continuing to say that, by the way.

To this point - they're saying the Patriots were actually Championship contenders, but Bill Belichick, and Bill Belichick alone, held them back to the point of 4-13. I can't imagine even you believe that.
Absolutely. Bill was the main problem IMO. His GMing and coaching decisions these past 2 years were a disaster.

We will see if they have the right guys in place but now with Bill gone they can be much more fluid at making changes to the FO/coaching staff if things don't feel right ...

Absolutely. Bill was the main problem IMO. His GMing and coaching decisions these past 2 years were a disaster.

We will see if they have the right guys in place but now with Bill gone they can be much more fluid at making changes to the FO/coaching staff if things don't feel right ...
I mean, we're going to find out - that's why they keep score in the games after all.

But honestly Mazz, you think only firing Belichick, and everyone else coming in previously worked for Belichick, (and we'll find out about the players in a month or so), is the right move? Or blow everyone out and start over would have been the better move? I definitely lean toward the latter.

I mean, we're going to find out - that's why they keep score in the games after all.

But honestly Mazz, you think only firing Belichick, and everyone else coming in previously worked for Belichick, (and we'll find out about the players in a month or so), is the right move? Or blow everyone out and start over would have been the better move? I definitely lean toward the latter.
I think the Kraft's have been thinking/planning this for over a year. This is not a snap decision. If you blow the whole thing up then you are basically scrapping everything you have had in place for 2.5 decades that helped deliver 6 championships.

I think the Kraft's have been thinking/planning this for over a year. This is not a snap decision. If you blow the whole thing up then you are basically scrapping everything you have had in place for 2.5 decades that helped deliver 6 championships.
Every single person in place right now was here last year. From the coaching staff to the front office. Unless your position is they had no hand in 4-13 whatsoever, then I just don't see how it's anything more than a PR move.

Every single person in place right now was here last year. From the coaching staff to the front office. Unless your position is they had no hand in 4-13 whatsoever, then I just don't see how it's anything more than a PR move.
I think there is still a ways to go. Like you said O'Brien left and let's face it that is the side of the ball that needs the most help.

I think there is still a ways to go. Like you said O'Brien left and let's face it that is the side of the ball that needs the most help.
We're not going to have answers until they actually play - but if it's Caley/McDaniels, and Mac Jones opening day...

We're not going to have answers until they actually play - but if it's Caley/McDaniels, and Mac Jones opening day...
There'll be a mutiny Tommy. There is no way Mayo will start him or think he's their QB1 UNLESS he is told to by Kraft.

Welp, you got your young, innovative offensive mind in...checks notes 53-year old multi-team fired retread Alex Van Pelt. :coffee:
The good news is, this brings you one step closer to Mac Jones starting next year.

I suppose the only positive is that he's a WCO guy, so the offense will change at least, probably go back to the zone running and stuff - although it's a timing-based offense as well, and, well, Troy Brown is still here..

So, nobody (worth a shit) wanted this job? Imagine that… ☕
Nick Caley of all people, who supposedly had a great relationship with Mayo, told them to go screw.
I'm guessing 'Well, Mac Jones is going to be the starter next year' was a non-starter for a lot of coaches.

Back