Do not enter this thread if you do not want to be a ninja

Annihilus

Zen Powered by Death Buddhists
Reaction score
Since it turns out that I have way more money than I could spend in a hundred lifetimes, I've decided that I want to learn a martial art. Been digging around some of the local dojos or wtf ever they call them. There is a promising looking place that teaches Aikido & Judo & some other one with a pole or bo-staff or some sh!t. They teach swords too, probably because that's a nice skill to have when the zombies come. I like the idea of Aikido because it is non-aggressive and takes advantage of aggression.

Anyone here know of anyone that has learned any sweet ninja skills for real?

I worked with a guy in Frankfort, KY that could kick the ceiling of our office. He once forcefully evicted a guy twice his size from our store for prompting a fight.

My brother is 57 and 15 years ago he enrolled his kids in Martial arts. Ended up getting sucked into it too and stuck with it. Now a 2nd or 3rd degree black belt and loves it. Only seen the skills displayed once outside of competition and that guy went down like a falling anvil.

My brother is 57 and 15 years ago he enrolled his kids in Martial arts. Ended up getting sucked into it too and stuck with it. Now a 2nd or 3rd degree black belt and loves it. Only seen the skills displayed once outside of competition and that guy went down like a falling anvil.

Do you know which one? Karate, Judo, Kung Fu? If he was in a tournament, it likely wouldn't be Aikido.

I'm interested in hearing the differences between the disciplines, if anyone here knows. I know I could Google it my f'ing self, but I'd rather hear stories.

Do you know which one? Karate, Judo, Kung Fu? If he was in a tournament, it likely wouldn't be Aikido.

I'm interested in hearing the differences between the disciplines, if anyone here knows. I know I could Google it my f'ing self, but I'd rather hear stories.

He's Karate. But I would defer to someone more knowledgable to explain the various disciplines.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aICIH90vk4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I was in high school I took a class in Poekoelan tjimindie tulen. I didn't stick with it, but it was super cool. If you want to LOOK like you're doing some next level ancient spiritual master ninja-blended-with-the-spirits shit, this is the one for you. It has four stances based on the four animals, crane, monkey, snake, and tiger. It has lots of cool flowing movements and twirling and stuff.

I looked through youtube and, sadly, all the videos of it are pretty lame. So here's maybe the least lame one:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cf_Yx4AdLtw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zg4gxD9N_jE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also took Kung Fu briefly in college. It was taught more as an excercise/meditation, but I learned some great fundamentals about balance and keeping centered. Right from the outset I was learning good solid fundamental stuff. This one I would recommend if you want to be able to handle business and aren't as worried about flashy stuff.

Is your goal legitimately self defense? i.e. the ability to win should you be attacked or forced to defend yourself? Or is it more to get fit, learn something very cool, that could possibly include friendly competition against others who are similarly trained? If the former, Krav Maga. If the latter, Tai Kwon Do or Karate are probably more what you are looking for. Jiu Jitsu might be a good blend of both, without the pure highlights of either. I forget his SN here on the Planet, but our [possibly former] poster Bill Adams is very familiar with Krav and may be someone worth speaking to.

I had a lot of fun with TaekWonDo and fought tournaments (until last year). We also did weapons training, mostly swords and nunchucks.

I cant remember what I took but the guy basically took things from every discipline and mashed it all up for a street survival self defense class. I really liked it. The kickboxing aspects of it had me in the best shape of my life (far better than when I was in the Service). Work got in the way though, I wanted to become a vigilante ninja of justice.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've taken Aikido lessons off and on over the last couple of decades. Someday, when I have time I'll pursue it big time. I've checked out a number of martial art disciplines and Aikido always came out on top for me.
-No colored belt gimmicks, you are either white or black, and even a lot of the black belt studs still wear white.
-It's mostly a defensive art. If you are a jacked-up teenager and wanna pick fights, then take Karate or Taekwondo and go after people. I love how almost every move puts your opponent on the ground with you grinding their face in the pavement and twisting their arm to the near breaking point till they cry uncle. Once you release them, if they are stupid enough to come at you again, they end up in the same position.
-if you want to learn sword or stick/pole play, that training is available.
-most Aikido dojos don't push you to participate in competitions, unless you are into that.

I love how almost every move puts your opponent on the ground with you grinding their face in the pavement and twisting their arm to the near breaking point till they cry uncle.

I think I see where the Bish, Bash, Boom came from. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Back