Does it look good or bad for Peyton if Denver beats Seattle next year?

TylerD

Reaction score
Was just pondering this a bit. Denver plays Seattle next season, and most likely it will be the opening game. Not sure if it's in Denver or Seattle. Now if Peyton and Denver lose to Seattle in the regular season, maybe it's just that Seattle is flat out better and Denver can't beat these mean defensive teams. If Denver wins on the other hand it will be a typical good regular season win for them. But then maybe it makes people think Peyton just can't perform in the Super Bowl no matter who they play. Food for thought.

Seattle no doubt looked like the better team in the Super Bowl yet something makes me think regular season could be different.

Thoughts??

I don't think a regular season game early in the season tells us too much about teams. I mean Den went out and ripped the Ravens in 2013's first game. The Ravens weren't a very good team but they aren't 7 TD passes/game worse than Den by the end of the year IMO.

Was just pondering this a bit. Denver plays Seattle next season, and most likely it will be the opening game. Not sure if it's in Denver or Seattle. Now if Peyton and Denver lose to Seattle in the regular season, maybe it's just that Seattle is flat out better and Denver can't beat these mean defensive teams. If Denver wins on the other hand it will be a typical good regular season win for them. But then maybe it makes people think Peyton just can't perform in the Super Bowl no matter who they play. Food for thought.

Seattle no doubt looked like the better team in the Super Bowl yet something makes me think regular season could be different.

Thoughts??

People have thought this for his whole career, even in the SB the Colts won.

Was just pondering this a bit. Denver plays Seattle next season, and most likely it will be the opening game. Not sure if it's in Denver or Seattle.

Thoughts??

The game will be in Seattle.

Who is Denver's coach? Who is Denver's QB? It doesn't matter, really. Seattle still whips up on Denver but the score may be closer.

I don't think anyone who watched that SB thinks that it was some kind of fluke. Even if PM was on top of his game (which he definitely wasn't), Seattle was primed.

There's a reason defense wins championships. Defense is based on heart & emotion, and offense is more cerebral & precise. The dynamics are different in a regular season game, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Denver win.

I don't think it would look bad or good if Peyton were to beat Seattle in a week 1 game of the regular season. A victory in this scenario would be more of a confirmation to everyone who says that Peyton is only a regular season-darling.

I don't see Denver winning in that scenario, either. The score may be closer but Seattle is legit.

It'll be Seattle vs 49ers for the opener I'd think. The majority of NFL fans dont want to watch the same game they turned off in the 1st quarter again. Although I'd love watching them get trounced again.

I don't think anyone who watched that SB thinks that it was some kind of fluke. Even if PM was on top of his game (which he definitely wasn't), Seattle was primed.

There's a reason defense wins championships. Defense is based on heart & emotion, and offense is more cerebral & precise. The dynamics are different in a regular season game, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Denver win.

That game could have been a whole lot different if the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL lead by the greatest of all time could have led on drive that scored in the first half. Hell the Denver D did a great job early holding Seattle to 2 FGs. Everyone I was watching with said that the FGs instead of TDs would come around to bite Seattle. But Manning couldn't get it done. He played terrible and made the game look much more one sided than it should have been. The rest of the team started playing bad only after it was clear that Manning was letting them down.

That game could have been a whole lot different if the most prolific offense in the history of the NFL lead by the greatest of all time could have led on drive that scored in the first half. Hell the Denver D did a great job early holding Seattle to 2 FGs. Everyone I was watching with said that the FGs instead of TDs would come around to bite Seattle. But Manning couldn't get it done. He played terrible and made the game look much more one sided than it should have been. The rest of the team started playing bad only after it was clear that Manning was letting them down.

I mean, really - that's just the hater narrative. Poor Denver - had a chance if it wasn't for the big choker. Right.

PM played horribly, but that's a credit to Seattle's D. They overwhelmed him, his receivers & Denver in general.

I mean, really - that's just the hater narrative. Poor Denver - had a chance if it wasn't for the big choker. Right.

PM played horribly, but that's a credit to Seattle's D. They overwhelmed him, his receivers & Denver in general.

I mean really - that's just lover talk. :poke:

Seriously though, as the game unfolded and Manning made more and more mistakes, the score got out of hand. Games, especially big games, feed off momentum. Early in that game those defensive stops where big. The mistakes killed Denver. Those mistakes were made by multiple players, not the least of which was Manning. Poor decisions to throw, not seeing wide open players, and playing scared. He lost his cool. Of course Seattle D deserves credit, but not one person in the media or on this board predicted a blowout. In fact most people predicted that if there was a blowout, it would be Denver beating Seattle. What was the main variable that changed all that thinking. Manning choking. It really is simple. Quit making excuses for the man.

I mean really - that's just lover talk. :poke:

Seriously though, as the game unfolded and Manning made more and more mistakes, the score got out of hand. Games, especially big games, feed off momentum. Early in that game those defensive stops where big. The mistakes killed Denver. Those mistakes were made by multiple players, not the least of which was Manning. Poor decisions to throw, not seeing wide open players, and playing scared. He lost his cool. Of course Seattle D deserves credit, but not one person in the media or on this board predicted a blowout. In fact most people predicted that if there was a blowout, it would be Denver beating Seattle. What was the main variable that changed all that thinking. Manning choking. It really is simple. Quit making excuses for the man.

I said he played terrible. I'm not making excuses.

"Choke" is overused. If it's a "choke" for a top historical offense to sputter & fail against a great defense in a Superbowl....did Brady "choke" in '07?

I'm guessing you have a different standard on that one.

I said he played terrible. I'm not making excuses.

"Choke" is overused. If it's a "choke" for a top historical offense to sputter & fail against a great defense in a Superbowl....did Brady "choke" in '07?

I'm guessing you have a different standard on that one.

I do think Brady and the offense choked in that '07 game. No doubt about it. Some missed plays they normally make and some dropped INT. Yeah, it was theirs to win. Brady did not choke nearly as badly and Manning did though as he led his team to a 4th quarter go ahead TD only to see the defense give it back.

That team could and should have scored more. Nevertheless, Brady played closer to his norm in that game than Manning did this year. Not even close in comparing the level of chokiness.

I do think Brady and the offense choked in that '07 game. No doubt about it. Some missed plays they normally make and some dropped INT. Yeah, it was theirs to win. Brady did not choke nearly as badly and Manning did though as he led his team to a 4th quarter go ahead TD only to see the defense give it back.

That team could and should have scored more. Nevertheless, Brady played closer to his norm in that game than Manning did this year. Not even close in comparing the level of chokiness.

I don't think either Brady or PM "choked." Sometimes, defenses are just too good.

But, I tend to think that the word "choke" is overused by fandom. I rarely hear actual players (outside of Sherman) use the term. I think most who use it frequently would be in the fetal position if they ever faced anything near the pressure of what pro's face routinely.

Thoughts??
You're not hinting at Peyton being a playoff choker, are you?

popcorn

I don't think either Brady or PM "choked." Sometimes, defenses are just too good.

But, I tend to think that the word "choke" is overused by fandom. I rarely hear actual players (outside of Sherman) use the term. I think most who use it frequently would be in the fetal position if they ever faced anything near the pressure of what pro's face routinely.

Definition 1: "In sports, a "choke" is the failure of an athlete or an athletic team to win a game or tournament when the player or team had been strongly favored to win or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event. Someone who chokes may be known as a "choker" or, more derisively, as a "choke artist." Choking in sport can be considered a form of analysis paralysis. The opposite of choking is to be "clutch". A clutch player or team rises to the occasion under pressure rather than collapsing or falling apart."

Definition 2: An act in which a team or a person collaspe when they are expected to win no matter what the other team does.

Would you call Manning 'clutch' in any of his super bowl games, even in the win? No. Did he perform up to his regular season standards in any of his Super Bowl appearances? No. Did most of the experts predict a Denver win? Yes. Therefore and hencetoforth forever. HE CHOKED! He's a Choke Aritist!

Definition 1: "In sports, a "choke" is the failure of an athlete or an athletic team to win a game or tournament when the player or team had been strongly favored to win or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event. Someone who chokes may be known as a "choker" or, more derisively, as a "choke artist." Choking in sport can be considered a form of analysis paralysis. The opposite of choking is to be "clutch". A clutch player or team rises to the occasion under pressure rather than collapsing or falling apart."

Definition 2: An act in which a team or a person collaspe when they are expected to win no matter what the other team does.

Would you call Manning 'clutch' in any of his super bowl games, even in the win? No. Did he perform up to his regular season standards in any of his Super Bowl appearances? No. Did most of the experts predict a Denver win? Yes. Therefore and hencetoforth forever. HE CHOKED! He's a Choke Aritist!

Too one-sided from you guys. He's been bad, and he's been clutch. He was great in that SB - he won MVP from what I remember. He was also pretty clutch in that comeback in the AFCCG that year (biggest in a CG to that point).

He played pretty well in this year's AFCCG, as well.

Seattle's defense was a buzzsaw in the SB. I don't think anyone was beating them this year. Like any historically great defense, they forced errors and created turnovers.

I do think that "choke" is way overused. At times it seems as though it's become interchangeable with "lost," but that's just a symptom of our culture's gravitation towards hyperbole.

That said, losing by 30+ points in a game you were favored in... Yeah that qualifies.

Too one-sided from you guys. He's been bad, and he's been clutch. He was great in that SB - he won MVP from what I remember. He was also pretty clutch in that comeback in the AFCCG that year (biggest in a CG to that point).

He played pretty well in this year's AFCCG, as well.

Seattle's defense was a buzzsaw in the SB. I don't think anyone was beating them this year. Like any historically great defense, they forced errors and created turnovers.

Well whatever you want to call it, it was pretty embarrassing...

Back