Earning for paying attention to ads that others are making $ from?

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
So, here's an interesting use case for crypto, and something people may be interested in.

BAT is the "Basic Attention Token," and it's very interesting to me. The idea behind it is something people have been saying for a long time: we should be able to monetize our attention that companies are making money off. That is, for all the pay-per-click and pay-per-impression advertising, WE are the product being bought and sold by these companies.

So BAT is a "reward" token for viewing advertisements when browsing. The Brave browser (Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser) filters out ads and cookies as you browse, and ASKS YOU HOW MANY ADS YOU WANT TO SEE PER HOUR. For each ad you see/click on you start to compile BAT in your account. They are tradable on Coinbase and other exchanges.

I'm no techie, but they seem pretty proud of their privacy, adware, and malware protections as well. Their default homepage tracks the MB of data transfer in ads and cookies not loaded, the number of cookies and trackers blocked, and (as a result of not loading all that stuff) the seconds of load time saved. No idea if it's accurate, but it's eye opening. I know a lot of mainstream sites have autoplay video ads that must really spike those numbers.

It occurs to me that a webhost (like our own UT!) might be some pissed that people are leeching without bringing in ad revenue. Sites can set up an account to accept "tips," which are automated and delivered from each browser/wallet monthly - they would also be participating in this and supporting taking back control of the ad/attention economy simply gathering BAT from everyone using Brave

I'm on Brave now, just testing it out. Seems pretty quick on a first spin...

No idea if this goes anywhere, but in the longer term monetizing our own attention strikes me as, if not inevitable, at least...I don't know...just?

Just thought it was interesting.

It is intriguing. I had a knee jerk negative reaction at first because by default, it blocks the single Google Adsense ad that I have, so it would mean a few less pennies.

But that's what we are talking about anyway with Adsense. Pennies. I just checked and my earnings so far today is 14 cents. So it's not a huge deal, and it was very easy in the browser for me to make the choice to let the board show its ad.

So I downloaded the browser to check it out. I very easily and quickly verified as a 'content creator' so that the possibility is there. I have not set up any wallets or anything though. But I know I need to do that for when I dive into Crypto.

I'll use it for now and see how it does as a browser. Thanks Flagg.

Edit.... The board doesn't show as verified yet, but they told me it could take a few days.

Edit 2.... I refreshed and now it shows.

I'll make sure I send a tip once I have some BAT to tip with. I think I need 15 BAT before I can have a verified wallet or something - hafta look into it.

Hopefully the pennies aren't hurting you - look at it as an investment in exploring something that could bring more, maybe? I know I would very likely have "tipped" you long ago if there was a way to do so that easy like this. At least I'd like to think I would. Guess we'll find out! 😁

Yeah it's an interesting experiment. There are a couple of related subreddits I joined too.

It looks like as a creator, it wants me to configure a wallet, and the only choices are Gemini and Uphold. Going to hold off on that.

looks like as a creator, it wants me to configure a wallet, and the only choices are Gemini and Uphold. Going to hold off on that.
That seems asymmetrical or something. Coinbase lists BAT - you'd think they'd have Coinbase as a listed option or something...

Yeah it's odd, and my creator account seems separate from my user account.

I haven't been given a single ad yet.

On my PC I had black boxes with kinda "ad headlines" pop up that I could click on if I chose. But nothing inline with a site at this point.

My rewards thing says I've earned 0.045 BAT since I installed a few hours ago. Currently trading at...about 78 cents each. So whatever.

I've only done it on my phone and that may be the difference. No earnings on either side yet.

Oh, the little symbol that shows the rewards shows 0. But when I click the triple dots on the browser bar at the bottom of my phone screen and go to rewards it showed 0.045. I think the thing at the top is just for the wallet you have it connected to. But I don't know.

Well to further confuse it, I was reading on reddit that there is a Brave Wallet too. But yeah, my rewards page doesn't show anything yet. And I set it to 5 per hour and gave it permission to send ads even when I am not using Brave.

I'll give it time and try my computer tomorrow.

Well to further confuse it, I was reading on reddit that there is a Brave Wallet too. But yeah, my rewards page doesn't show anything yet. And I set it to 5 per hour and gave it permission to send ads even when I am not using Brave.

I'll give it time and try my computer tomorrow.
Huh. I think that's an option I don't have. I set mine to 10/hour, just to see what it's like. I suspect it's still pay-per-click, and only counts if you click on the black box. But I haven't seen any of those on my phone, so maybe not...

I can only set it to 5 on the phone, but I got the impression that ads would be sent as a notification during setup.

So, here's an interesting use case for crypto, and something people may be interested in.

BAT is the "Basic Attention Token," and it's very interesting to me. The idea behind it is something people have been saying for a long time: we should be able to monetize our attention that companies are making money off. That is, for all the pay-per-click and pay-per-impression advertising, WE are the product being bought and sold by these companies.

So BAT is a "reward" token for viewing advertisements when browsing. The Brave browser (Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser) filters out ads and cookies as you browse, and ASKS YOU HOW MANY ADS YOU WANT TO SEE PER HOUR. For each ad you see/click on you start to compile BAT in your account. They are tradable on Coinbase and other exchanges.

I'm no techie, but they seem pretty proud of their privacy, adware, and malware protections as well. Their default homepage tracks the MB of data transfer in ads and cookies not loaded, the number of cookies and trackers blocked, and (as a result of not loading all that stuff) the seconds of load time saved. No idea if it's accurate, but it's eye opening. I know a lot of mainstream sites have autoplay video ads that must really spike those numbers.

It occurs to me that a webhost (like our own UT!) might be some pissed that people are leeching without bringing in ad revenue. Sites can set up an account to accept "tips," which are automated and delivered from each browser/wallet monthly - they would also be participating in this and supporting taking back control of the ad/attention economy simply gathering BAT from everyone using Brave

I'm on Brave now, just testing it out. Seems pretty quick on a first spin...

No idea if this goes anywhere, but in the longer term monetizing our own attention strikes me as, if not inevitable, at least...I don't know...just?

Just thought it was interesting.
STEEM/IT is like this...a few years before.

I would be interested in any feedback on the browser.

I would also be interested in knowing if it would be a good way to support the Planet to use the browser and donate BAT to the board, or something along those lines? For those interested, of course.

Just kind of food for thought right now, nothing specific in mind.

I'm still using the browser and it's good. It's fast. And private and secure. You can send some of your bat earnings to verified sites, or even set up automatic monthly donations.

As a publisher, I also opted in for letting them serve ads. I don't believe this is active yet and still in beta. But once active, the board would theoretically get a much higher percentage of ad revenue. I don't know how this aspect will work with the automatic blocking of ads, but it appears a lot of it is prebeta right now.

I am using the beta browser on my android phone. Using it for everything right now while I test. I have the ad level set the highest it goes, and I click on every ad notification I receive.

I don't have it on my computer yet.

But it's only been a couple of days. I'll report when there is more data to see what kind of income is possible from one user on mobile with heavy use. I have it set to donate whatever I earn to the publisher account.

Back