ESPN "The perfect QB"

midgar8784

Reaction score
Ok so ESPN decided they were going to build the perfect QB and give them attributes of several QB's....well the list they came up with is a bit odd on what they consider the best of the following list of QB's.

1. Arm Strength - Drew Brees......hmmm not sure on that one
2. Accuracy - Rodgers - well ok he is accurate although I have seen some balls that only a few receivers in the league could make the catch on, but hey if you have that, by all means.
3. Decision Making - Brady - Probably could have went a few directions here.
4. Mobility - Wilson - probably could have went in a few directions here as well, but good choice.
5. Pocket Awareness - Eli....no comment
6. Guts - Flacco - once again I will hold comment.

Feel free to make suggestions

http://expatsfootball.com/tom-brady-is-the-brains-of-espns-perfect-qb/

Ok so ESPN decided they were going to build the perfect QB and give them attributes of several QB's....well the list they came up with is a bit odd on what they consider the best of the following list of QB's.

2. Accuracy - Rodgers - well ok he is accurate although I have seen some balls that only a few receivers in the league could make the catch on, but hey if you have that, by all means.
4. Mobility - Wilson - probably could have went in a few directions here as well, but good choice.

1) No way. Brees has a good arm, but guys like Vick, Kap and even Boller have stronger arms. If you are really syphoning just that ability, you would look elsewhere.

2) Good choice.

3) I can live with this one.

4) No. Vick and RG3 are better scramblers. Wilson is a very intelligent scrambler but, again, if you are just looking only at athleticism, you would take someone else.

5) No way.

6) You have to be fvcking kidding me. Flacco's happy feet and deer in the headlight eyes are some of the worst parts of his game.

1) No way. Brees has a good arm, but guys like Vick, Kap and even Boller have stronger arms. If you are really syphoning just that ability, you would look elsewhere.

2) Good choice.

3) I can live with this one.

4) No. Vick and RG3 are better scramblers. Wilson is a very intelligent scrambler but, again, if you are just looking only at athleticism, you would take someone else.

5) No way.

6) You have to be fvcking kidding me. Flacco's happy feet and deer in the headlight eyes are some of the worst parts of his game.

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines...I also found it funny that they left a certain Manning off the list. This aired two nights ago on ESPN by the way, this story was written from that.

1) Give that to Flacco if you're feeling an itch to put him in there.
2) Can't complain
3) Give this one to the elder Manning - I mean, he's making all the decisions out there anyway, pre and post snap.
4) RG3 & Kaep as long as they mature into what they've shown so far.
5) This is Brady's hands down. The whole "seeing ghosts" thing is way overblown
6) B.R. will tell you all day long about his guts. I might give this to Wilson, actually.

For arm strength (strickly speaking) Brees might not be in the top 5. However, he throws as accurate a deep ball as anyone (although he does have to put more arc on it). He just can't throw it on a rope the way that Rodgers can.

I actually like the Wilson choice for mobility (which to me has a slightly different meaning from the best runner).

Pocket presence, I like Brady there as well, although I do like Eli, and several others.

As for guts, to me that means willing to take a hit, (especially to get a completion), along with not letting getting hit effect you. I'm not sure that I'd put Flacco on top either (although he's up there). Roethlisberger & Rodgers are the best to me at this.

1) Give that to Flacco if you're feeling an itch to put him in there.
2) Can't complain
3) Give this one to the elder Manning - I mean, he's making all the decisions out there anyway, pre and post snap.
4) RG3 & Kaep as long as they mature into what they've shown so far.
5) This is Brady's hands down. The whole "seeing ghosts" thing is way overblown
6) B.R. will tell you all day long about his guts. I might give this to Wilson, actually.

If I make this list

1. I actually put Rodgers here. This Flacco arm strength thing gets me, watching underthrown balls get pulled down by physical receivers does not scream strong arm.

2. Accuracy - I will throw Peyton a bone here, even though he throws a wobble ball, its pretty accurate.

3. I will stay with Brady here, Brady does everything Manning does at the line, but does not have too look stupid doing it.

4. I will throw Kap here only because the other guys take too many chances, he knows when to slide and when to get out of bounds so his career might be longer.

5. This is a Brady one, but since I am only using one for each, I will give the nod to Brees I guess, he does not take a lot of sacks and is good at getting the ball out...

6. Guts, this is a toughy.....Change to Eli

For arm strength (strickly speaking) Brees might not be in the top 5. However, he throws as accurate a deep ball as anyone (although he does have to put more arc on it). He just can't throw it on a rope the way that Rodgers can.

I actually like the Wilson choice for mobility (which to me has a slightly different meaning from the best runner).

Pocket presence, I like Brady there as well, although I do like Eli, and several others.

As for guts, to me that means willing to take a hit, (especially to get a completion), along with not letting getting hit effect you. I'm not sure that I'd put Flacco on top either (although he's up there). Roethlisberger & Rodgers are the best to me at this.

I took guts to mean something else....Ben might be willing to take hits, but he will make sure he cries to everyone that listens. Rodgers takes a lot of hits because I think deep down he would rather take a sack than hurt his completion pct, he tends to hold the ball too long at times looking for the big play over the smaller play....I went with Romo, but only by default. Change to Eli on Guts

My opinion of Eli is pretty well known, but I'd probably give him the guts one. He was bettered senseless against SF in the NFCCG and it never seemed to phase him.

My opinion of Eli is pretty well known, but I'd probably give him the guts one. He was bettered senseless against SF in the NFCCG and it never seemed to phase him.

You know I was actually thinking that one, ok I change my from Romo to Eli.

brady-snot-12-16-12.gif

Come on, give us your list, but you can only use Eli once. :coffee:

OK. Without reading the article:

1. Arm Strength - Flacco. Beast.
2. Accuracy - Drew Henson. Joking aside, if we have to go with current NFLers, probably Rodgers. Quite frankly, your elite guys are making all the throws anyways, so why not.
3. Decision Making - Brady. This is the easiest call ever. I still have a boatload of "BE DECISIVE" Tom Brady wristbands from college.
4. Mobility - Depends on how you want to take this. If it's mobility in an ideal pro style offense, I go with Brady because I contend that he's the best "mobile QB" ever. If you're talking straight up running ability, I'd go Denard Robinson or RGIII because of the speed, acceleration and cutting ability.
5. Pocket Awareness - Given that "mobility" is probably referring to "running ability", I'm tossing Brady here. Even though he's been turtling, I'll double up.
6. Guts - Eli. Dude will get rocked and keep coming back for more. I'd go into the trenches with Eli any day.

http://www.footballperspective.com/tweaking-the-nfls-passer-rating-formula/

1) There’s no reason to exclude sack data from passer rating. I’ve stopped writing about how sacks are just as much (if not more) on the quarterback than other passing metrics, because I think that horse has been pretty well beaten by Jason Lisk and me.
2) Scrambles should be treated like completed passes. If Russell Wilson is about to be sacked, but escapes and run for 7 yards, why should that be treated any differently than if Peyton Manning is about to be sacked, but throws a seven-yard pass at the last second?
3) Lost Fumbles should be counted with interceptions. One could make a few advanced arguments here — we should use all fumbles instead of lost fumbles, or fumbles should be given an even stronger weight than interceptions (although consider that in light of this post), or that we should limit ourselves to just fumbles lost on passing plays. I’m going to play the simple card here, and just use lost fumbles data on the season level.
Something here to consider when you're deciding who's the best QB. I think these changes to QBR make perfect sense bc they include more parameters of a total QB performance.

You'll note Brady is helped (relatively) and Aaron Rogers, Philip Rivers & Ben R. are hurt bc of their high sack rate.

For you Colts fans, note where RG3 and R.Wilson are on this list relative to Luck, no matter how you look at it.

Something here to consider when you're deciding who's the best QB. I think these changes to QBR make perfect sense bc they include more parameters of a total QB performance.

You'll note Brady is helped (relatively) and Aaron Rogers, Philip Rivers & Ben R. are hurt bc of their high sack rate.

For you Colts fans, note where RG3 and R.Wilson are on this list relative to Luck, no matter how you look at it.

According to this new rating formula, Mark Sanchez was the worst QB in the league last year. Does that seem right to you?

popcorn

I agree with the writer. I think sacks in a lot of cases are on the QB's too, especially over a season. Brady gets rid of the ball faster than any Qb in the NFL, that should show up on a stat sheet, that helps the oline, Rodgers does hold the ball longer than he should, and that should be reflected too, because a sack hurts a lot worse than an incomplete pass.

Thanks for this, good find.

1) Definitely not Brees, there are tons of QBs with more arm strength than him but I think i'd go with a healthy Matt Stafford in arm strength.

2) Agree with Rodgers

3) Brady's fine here

4) Wilson? Absolutely not. Michael Vick gets this one.

5) As with everyone else I think this one's Brady.

6) Flacco was a joke. Eli, Ben, or dare I say, Favre.

1. Arm Strength - I'd have to go with Joe Flacco or Jay Cutler on this one. Heck, Mike Vick and Aaron Rodgers would also be here before Brees. I have no clue why they would put drew Brees here.
2. Accuracy - Aaron Rodgers is a good one here but then again, so is Alex Smith.
3. Decision Making - Tom Brady would go here. No way Peyton Fivehead with all his awful picks in the postseason would be here.
4. Mobility - I would go with Russell Wilson and Colin Kapernick on this one. Scrambling is different than rushing because if you went with an actual rusher, it would be Mike Vick.
5. Pocket Awareness - Tom Brady. The guy seems to almost always be aware of what is going on. I can see how folks would mistake Eli on this one and Eli does have incredible pocket awareness when he is playing well and awful pocket pressence when he is not.
6. Guts - Eli on this one.

Back