ESPN: Urban Meyer stepping down as HC at Florida

Just heard that announced during the bowl game being televised at espn. They said he was gonna be avialable for the media before the sugar bowl?

The statement that was released.

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl.

i bet its because he is afraid of being exposed at not that great of a coach now that Tim Tebow is leaving.

i bet its because he is afraid of being exposed at not that great of a coach now that Tim Tebow is leaving.
That's right, if he was truly great, he would have been able to put together an undefeated season at a university that doesn't recruit in Florida.

I read in a recent SI issue that he has been suffering some ailment since he coached at Utah, and that doctors have been advising him since then to keep hs stress levels down.

I guess coaching at Florida isnt really condusive to low stress levels.

That sucks if he ever wants to coach again every college in the country will want him.

I read in a recent SI issue that he has been suffering some ailment since he coached at Utah, and that doctors have been advising him since then to keep hs stress levels down.

I guess coaching at Florida isnt really condusive to low stress levels.

They (ESPN) were saying after the PITT NC game that he has some type of cyst on his brain. It gives him headaches when he's under a lot of stress.

maybe that's the ailment?

As much as I despise the Gators I wouldn't wish something like this on anyone even Urban. Prayers to the Myer family

the defect can be fixed. I don't know about the cyst.

Yeah but "heart defects" if they aren't genetic come from lifetstyles like the one he has been living. He has a young-ish family. Time to take care of himself to be around for them.

Sorry any NFL team wanting Shanny. Won't happen now I believe he's on his way to UF now. They almost had him even when he was still coaching at Denver before they hired Meyer.

Sorry any NFL team wanting Shanny. Won't happen now I believe he's on his way to UF now. They almost had him even when he was still coaching at Denver before they hired Meyer.

Why would Florida want Shanny? Why not a coach more like Meyer? A Kyle Whittenham, Dan Mullen, Chris Peterson? Guys who have been successful on the college level?

Why would Florida want Shanny? Why not a coach more like Meyer? A Kyle Whittenham, Dan Mullen, Chris Peterson? Guys who have been successful on the college level?

Shannahan used to coach at FL before he went to the NFL. So he has ties to the program.

Back