Fantasy Football: Your Crash Course - HELP

Fully Tilted

GhostGronk
Reaction score
Ok, so I fell out of the fantasy football loop midseason last year. I was working 70 hour weeks and had little time for it. And to fantasy football I say, Allow myself to (re)introduce.........myself.

I need help from my fellow fantasy football heads though. What can you learn me? What have I missed?

I'm in two leagues this year. One (14 teams!!) PPR and one non-PPR (10 teams). My non-PPR league draft is tonight. The order is randomized one hour before the draft so I have no info on where I draft; Just that I know what location I'll be drafting from, and that I'll be drinking bottled beer and not drafts. Help me with my draft!

Ready. Set. Go.

Ok, so I fell out of the fantasy football loop midseason last year. I was working 70 hour weeks and had little time for it. And to fantasy football I say, Allow myself to (re)introduce.........myself.

I need help from my fellow fantasy football heads though. What can you learn me? What have I missed?

I'm in two leagues this year. One (14 teams!!) PPR and one non-PPR (10 teams). My non-PPR league draft is tonight. The order is randomized one hour before the draft so I have no info on where I draft; Just that I know what location I'll be drafting, and that I'll be drinking bottled beer and not drafts. Help me with my draft!

Ready. Set. Go.

keepers or non keeper leagues?

Non-keeper leagues.

For my PPR league--again, a ridiculous 14 teams (Draft next week), I have the 4th overall pick

If you can get Peyton, Brady or Brees with number 4 pull the trigger. Otherwise I would go Receiver(you will have pick of the litter), QB, Reciever, RB,RB,TE, in the first 6 rounds. Make sure your first RB can catch passes as well as score TD's if available.

In PPR leagues a receiver who is a regular target and scores TD's is gold.

I'm doing FF with my Volnation peeps. I forgot to show up on draft day so my team was autopicked for me. I ended up with a pretty good qb, rb and wr.

I had my draft last night .I got the #1 overall pick. I preferr the #5 which IMO is the best spot. MY starters are
QB Philip Rivers
RB's Felix Jones and Chris Johnson
WR's Miles austin and hakeem Nicks
TE BeN Watson
DEfense New england Patriots
K Janikowski
bench players Palmer, Maroney, Jacobs, Houshmandzadeh & TO.

Depends a lot on the scoring system.

I tend to draft veterans that I know will produce something, because 90% of the time rookies are overrated and a bust. I prefer the sure thing.

We have 2 keepers (Manning and Benson for me). I drafted 8th out of ten.

I draft lots of RB's, looking for some to pan out with a big year...cut the rest later.

WR's I try to get a prime receiver (failed this year)...and the rest I look at as disposable...I always watch for free agents to upgrade them and seldom end up with the same ones I started with.

Kicker, TE, and Defense I draft last....they are sure to be replaced later in the year by someone having a good year. In this case, I am pretty happy with Ghost.

I got T.O and Wes Welker really late, so they were value picks. Maroney was a mid round pick...so also a good value.

There are so many receivers in the 800 yard & 7 TD range, don't waste brain power or picks on non-elite receivers....just pick up someone late...there are dozens of them.

2 good QB's to gaurd against injury, and as many starting RB's as you can. The rest is easily upgraded via free agent pickups later. That's my formulae.

I sort of view the entire first 5 weeks as part of my draft..always upgrading where I can early when the stats start coming in.

Manning, Peyton QB IND
Palmer, Carson QB CIN

Bradshaw, Ahmad RB NYG
Brown, Ronnie RB MIA
Addai, Joseph RB IND
Benson, Cedric RB CIN
Jones, Felix RB DAL
Maroney, Laurence RB NE
Washington, Leon RB SEA

Floyd, Malcom WR SD
Welker, Wes WR NE
Edelman, Julian WR NE
Owens, Terrell WR CIN

Gonzalez, Tony TE ATL

Gostkowski, Stephen K NE

Patriots DST

Thanks gentlemen.

So now who are your backs that catch passes out of the backfield and are generally either every down backs or the primary?

Chris Johnson(?)
Ray Rice
MJD
Gore

Who am I missing?

Don't draft anyone from the Detroit Lions. :coffee:

The year James Stewart went to the Lions, some guy in one of my leagues drafted him with the #1 overall pick and kind of reacted the way Ditka did after drafting Ricky Williams. He came in saying how he was going to shock the world.

Boy did he.

I usually wait on WR until a few rounds into it and go with RB,QB,RB for the first 3 rounds. There are so many receivers that, if you pay attention, you can pick up someone after the first few weeks that's going to pan out well.

I'm always looking for free agents to grab. I do that in all of my fantasy leagues. I normally have more moves than anyone else in the league.

By the way...is the Patriots Planet Yahoo League getting together again this year? I haven't seen any info.

Thanks for starting this FT! I have been too busy to do my usual research. This is the 5th year I will be doing the Krafty Bunch league :) Our draft is Sept 1 and I am SO behind. It's me and a bunch of men so of course I like to beat the crap out of them, unfortunately olast year my entire team went to crap with injuries lol Hoping for a better year this year! Appreciate everyone's input here :)

Since I'm late to the party...

Most FF drafts first 5 picks should end up something like this:
1. Chris Johnson
2. Adrian Peterson
3. MJD
4. Ray Rice (to me 3 & 4 are interchangeable)
5. Aaron Rodgers, Frank Gore, Andre Johnson

In a PPR league, if you can't land one of the top 4 picks mentioned above I would take Andre Johnson at 5. If you can't get the backs mentioned above or AJ then MAYBE think about trying to get Rodgers or Brees.

I tend to wait on my QB's and get as many studs as possible at the RB and WR position. In a PPR league, a WR who catches at least 100 balls and scores 10+ TD's is just as valuable as a stud RB. If you draft at the end of the round, say 13 or 14, I would try to get a stud WR and their QB (Brady & Moss for instance).

You can get value later on at QB... this is how I break them down:

Tier 1
Rodgers (should be the 1st QB off the board)
Brees
Manning (fivehead)
Brady

Tier 2:
Rivers (how will he do w/out Jackson?)
Schaub
Romo

Tier 3:
Roethlisberger (he's only here and not in 2 because of his suspension)
E. Manning
McNabb
Flacco
Ryan
Cutler
Palmer
Garrard

If you get a stud QB, I would only carry him. Oh and please please please wait until the last round to draft a kicker! Good luck!

Thanks for starting this FT! I have been too busy to do my usual research. This is the 5th year I will be doing the Krafty Bunch league :) Our draft is Sept 1 and I am SO behind. It's me and a bunch of men so of course I like to beat the crap out of them, unfortunately olast year my entire team went to crap with injuries lol Hoping for a better year this year! Appreciate everyone's input here :)

This is for anyone who cares:

I have an excel sheet that I put together which has formulas to determine what players at each position scored last year. It also has the divisions and their strength of schedule and avg run and pass D that they will be facing this year. My points system is based on a PPR league and it's a nonstandard scoring format so formulas will need to be tweaked for your purposes.

If anyone is interested in it let me know via PM.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is more important than a really cool Fantasy Team Name. One that allows you get some really cool pictures for your team avatar. If you can't sport a really cool team name, there's really no point in showing up. JMO.

My teams....

I dropped "The Wizard's Sleeve" this year as it's kinda dated and adopted the new name, "Boats 'N Hoes".

My other league, it's "Peyton Manning Face". No trouble finding team artwork there. Can sport a new pic each and every week.

Oh yeah, another thing, I used to load up on magazines in doing my draft prep. Problem was that once you get to Preseaon week 2, the information is dated and you're stuck at your draft with stale material. So instead of dropping 30 clams on a few soon to be useless magazines, drop it on a good fantasy websight. You can download updated cheatsheets right up until draft day and get updated articles all season long. I don't get any magazines any more. I joined The Huddle (www.thehuddle.com). You get a daily e=mail during the entire the preseason, websight access to tons of data, constantly updating, and downloadable stuff to make your season as productive as possible.

And yeah, stay away from the Lions.... :thumb:

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is more important than a really cool Fantasy Team Name. One that allows you get some really cool pictures for your team avatar. If you can't sport a really cool team name, there's really no point in showing up. JMO.

My teams....

I dropped "The Wizard's Sleeve" this year as it's kinda dated and adopted the new name, "Boats 'N Hoes".

My other league, it's "Peyton Manning Face". No trouble finding team artwork there. Can sport a new pic each and every week.

Oh yeah, another thing, I used to load up on magazines in doing my draft prep. Problem was that once you get to Preseaon week 2, the information is dated and you're stuck at your draft with stale material. So instead of dropping 30 clams on a few soon to be useless magazines, drop it on a good fantasy websight. You can download updated cheatsheets right up until draft day and get updated articles all season long. I don't get any magazines any more. I joined The Huddle (www.thehuddle.com). You get a daily e=mail during the entire the preseason, websight access to tons of data, constantly updating, and downloadable stuff to make your season as productive as possible.

I agree about the team name, my past teams names include:
-Your Mom (It's great for when people have o say they are playing Your Mom or got their azzes handed to them by your mom)
-Michael Jacksons Nose
-Screaming Monks
-King Hippos Band Aid

Team Name: Everybody Pat Chung Tonight!

QB - Rivers/Palmer
RB - Peterson/Charles/Sticky Icky Ricky/Maroney
WR - Wayne/OchoCinco/Berrian/Maclin/Hester/Royal/Cribbs
TE - Shank-Hoes
DST - GB
K - Prater

My teams....

My team name is Sin City Psychos. for the PP leagues I was TBL's Maniacs.

Draft is Wednesday night I am determined to beat the boys this year!

Back