First time ever...

vertigho

Reaction score
I've watched a lot of sports in my life, and that is the first time that I have ever seen a call literally be made-up.

I really can't believe what I just witnessed happened... freaking unbelievable.

That call was made-up... Jones did nothing.

It wasn't a subjective call, it wasn't borderline, it wasn't a case of an official going out of his way to call something... There was literally NOTHING on that play, and the official(s) made up a penalty.

I'm frustrated, but I'm not sure how mad I can be... the Pats should've had their chance, and they were robbed... in every sense of the word.

The game was handed to the Jets. That game was rigged. R-I-G-G-E-D... RIGGED. No other way to look at it. The officials MADE UP a call, when nothing was there to be called. Most absurd thing I've ever seen, and I'm not sure if I'll ever watch another NFL game.

That was all the evidence I needed to know that these games are fixed. Either via Goodell, or due to officials' personal preference.

It was a crap call (and it's Boger's crew so I'm not shocked) but the Pats had ages and ages to get their sh*t together on offense and couldn't do it. That's why they lost.

They said it was a new penalty this year.

I didn't see the penalty until the 4th replay, but he did run behind the lineman and attempted to push the other player through the line, although unsuccessfully. Looked designed to me.

Crappy way to go.

It was a crap call (and it's Boger's crew so I'm not shocked) but the Pats had ages and ages to get their sh*t together on offense and couldn't do it. That's why they lost.

That's entirely irrelevant.

I'm sure I could go back and find plenty of opportunities that the Pats squandered... ditto with the Jets. Teams make mistakes and play poorly... it happens. There's a reason another team is on the field.

The officials are supposed to legislate the game fairly, and they didn't.

Had the game been properly officiated, the Jets would've made THAT mistake, on the missed field-goal. A mistake that the JETS made... you know... poor play...?

Complete bag-job, and the whole "well, you can't blame the officials. Pats failed to capitalize on opportunities..." argument holds no water whatsoever. It's entirely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Yeah, the ting is, this is one of those few cases where you actually CAN blame the officials. Pats did their job, successfully forced a missed field goal, and then boom, a phantom, homecrowd call to give them another 15 yards and the game.

But the thing that makes it so much worse.
It happens ALL the time
Watch Ghost's game tieing kick, definetely a push in the middle, same with the PAT after the pick 6
kEq2rG6.jpg

kJx7z9f.jpg

I'm sure I could go back and find plenty of opportunities that the Pats squandered... ditto with the Jets. Teams make mistakes and play poorly... it happens. There's a reason another team is on the field.

Had the game been properly officiated, the Jets would've made THAT mistake, on the missed field-goal. A mistake that the JETS made... you know... poor play...?

Complete bag-job, and the whole "well, you can't blame the officials. Pats failed to capitalize on opportunities..." argument holds no water whatsoever. It's entirely irrelevant to the issue at hand.
FACEGUARDING=made up "rule". That will always anger me.
This one=overlegislating of an actual rule. Not the same.

+1000000 Someone gets it!!!!

It's a horrid rule, but sadly it does exist here is the rule verbatim from the NFL rule book

The rule in question is as follows
DEFENSIVE TEAM FORMATION

Article 3: Defensive Team Formation

(a) When Team A presents a punt, field-goal, or Try Kick formation, a Team B player, who is within one yard of the line of scrimmage, must have his entire body outside the snapper’s shoulder pads at the snap.

(b) When Team A presents a field-goal or Try Kick formation:

(1) No more than six Team B players may be on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper at the snap; and

Note: These restrictions do not apply if a team does not present a standard punt, field goal, or Try Kick formation (an equal number of players on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper in a tight formation), or if, after the offensive team has assumed a set position, there is a shift, or a player goes in motion.

Penalty: For illegal formation by the defense: Loss of five yards.

(2) Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation.

Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards.

15 yards is BS though, Illegal procedure call 5 yards and replay down at most.

Still the rule is very silly, penalising for following blockers.

It's a horrid rule, but sadly it does exist here is the rule verbatim from the NFL rule book

15 yards is BS though, Illegal procedure call 5 yards and replay down at most.

Still the rule is very silly, penalising for following blockers.
The thing that gets me is its never called and that call was borderline at best, which adds insult to injury...

I personally think the ref that made that call should never work in a Pats game ever again...

@DaleEArnold: Rule 913 ONLY applies if Chris Jones was NOT on the line of scrimmage. Clearly he was. Blown call.

@DaleEArnold: Rule 913 ONLY applies if Chris Jones was NOT on the line of scrimmage. Clearly he was. Blown call.
That's what Belichick was arguing. If it's true than the refs screwed up. Still no excuse for the bad performance in the second half, but I'd rather blame it on the refs. :D

That's what Belichick was arguing. If it's true than the refs screwed up. Still no excuse for the bad performance in the second half, but I'd rather blame it on the refs. :D
If the penalty is not called I would have loved our chances to win that game...Brady was off, but I still think we would have momentum and won IMO...

If the penalty is not called I would have loved our chances to win that game...Brady was off, but I still think we would have momentum and won IMO...

We'd have got the ball on our own 46, great field position, stick Ridley in there and see if you can't pick up a couple first downs, then kick the game winner

We should never have been in that position to begin with. We should have scored a TD at the end of the first half to make it 28-10 at half time. Brady should have been better than 4 for 20 on passes longer than 10 yards. I'm sorry but that's pathetic. And 1 for 12 on 3rd downs is just as pathetic.

If you're blaming this loss on that bogus call, you're not seeing the real problem.

We should never have been in that position to begin with. We should have scored a TD at the end of the first half to make it 28-10 at half time. Brady should have been better than 4 for 20 on passes longer than 10 yards. I'm sorry but that's pathetic. And 1 for 12 on 3rd downs is just as pathetic.

If you're blaming this loss on that bogus call, you're not seeing the real problem.

I think the real point here is that we might have (probably would have) beaten a Jets team DESPITE all of the above, if not for a blown call by the refs ;)

Silver linings and all!

I think the real point here is that we might have (probably would have) beaten a Jets team DESPITE all of the above, if not for a blown call by the refs ;)

Silver linings and all!
IMO shoulda coulda woulda's don't count, but poor referring does...

IMO shoulda coulda woulda's don't count, but poor referring does...

Football Zebras is a site that rarely takes up for the refs. In fact, the site regularly calls attention to bad calls they make.

http://www.footballzebras.com/2013/10/20/8540/

If you are supporting another player to drive the offensive line, this will be called all the time. It is not a common penalty, either, but, arguably, this can be attributed to special teams players knowing this set of rules specific to those plays.
This doesn’t prohibit double blocking or even double attacking. Also, you are not going to see this called a foul during the normal bunch-up that occurs on the line. It will be the deliberate effort of a lineman or linebacker to latch on to a teammate to blow a hole through the kicking team’s line that triggers the flag.
Umpire Tony Michalek had his eyes right on the effort of the Patriots rush and did not hesitate to make the call. It isn’t clear if any of the Jets special team players gave the officiating crew a “be on the lookout” for this tactic.

Back