Giants Do A Plaxico Burress Sets Outcome For SB XLVI

Either that, or it's the Ben Coates jersey I started wearing the week after the loss to the Giants in the regular season. It was obvious that the 80 wasn't getting it done, so I moved to the 87.

Mine's a lot easier...but keep doing your thing too.

Well 87 is Gronk!'s number and isn't that around the time he started really stepping his game up a notch?

I DO have to ask what it was that you did to cause him to be injured against Baltimore though?

:mad:

It's actually not that complicated. It's similar in construct to my if I drink the right whiskey from the right glass, we always win hypothesis.

BTW, I have a hypothesis to explain the last four games of the regular season. As we all know, the Pat's started very slow in all four games.

In all the games I started with the blended and only switched to a single malt when necessary.

In all but the Miami game, as soon as I switched to the single malt, the situation improved and the Pats ended up winning.

In the Miami game, I did not have any whiskey until I got to my parents house early in the 3rd Qtr (it was Christmas Eve). As soon as I had my first blended scotch, the Pats scored their first TD.

So, clearly it wasn't the case that the blended no longer had any power.

It took me a bit to understand the likely explanation.

I DVR all the games so I can do my own slow mo replay and so I can skip the commercials.

For all but the Miami game I delayed starting watching the game for about 20-30 minutes so I built up enough buffer to skip through the commercials.

The Miami game was "live".

Now clearly the Power of Whiskey® is spatially invariant. I watch the games at home and not at the stadium so whiskey has the power to work across space.

The question is can it work across time, that is is is temporally invariant.

The difference between the Miami game and the other three, is how much of a time delay the whiskey had to work through.

As soon as I switched to a single malt, there was a noticeable effect. Therefore I conclude that the single malt is capable of bridging a relatively large time gap. The blended clearly does not.

I put this concept to the test in the Divisional round game since I started watching the DVR recording immediately after the end of the SF/NO game. As such I was not more than 8 minutes out of sync with real time.

Clearly the blended was able to punch through only 8 minutes.

Since the SB is one of the few games where I actually watch the commercials, I should be very close to real time for the entire game.
I expect to see this all published in one of the influential journals and very favorably peer reviewed ASAP. :thumb:

Cheers, BostonTim

So now we are talking about coincidence? Isn't that more about superstition than anything else?

I'll make my response like a basic computer program:

1. Do you watch football?
2. If the answer to #1 is no: please leave the thread.
3. If the answer to #1 is yes: Are you aware of how superstitious NFL players and coaches are?
4. If the answer to #3 is no: please leave the thread.
5. If the answer to #3 is yes: In turn, are you aware of how superstitious NFL fans are?
6. If the answer to #5 is no: please leave the thread.
7. If the answer to #5 is yes: are you aware of how fans will do anything they can to help the team?
8. If the answer to #7 is no: please leave the thread.
9. If the answer to #7 is yes: better safe than sorry. My point = made.

Hope that helps :toast:

I don't have any Pats related superstitions, oddly enough.

I can say that for the Bruins it got to the point last spring that I'd only watch playoff games from one spot in the house. this was not the biggest TV in the house but I sat in one spot on the couch in that room for Game 7 of the finals and they could have been giving away beer and prostitues at the neighbors.... I wasn't leaving that spot.

So now we are talking about coincidence? Isn't that more about superstition than anything else?

No, the idea is not substantially different than what you linked to in the OP.

It is a question regarding can the observer effect the outcome of an experiment.

The "classic" Gedankenexperiment on this is Schrodinger's Cat. The cat is both "alive" and "dead" inside the box and until you open it an "observe" the inside, it does not collapse to a single state.

There are actual observable experiments that show a similar phenomena. The Double-Slit experiment is a good example.

If you put a light source behind a screen, with two slits, you will see bands of light and dark on a screen on the other side.

This is most readily explained as an interference pattern from the light waves that come from each slit. Where the light waves are in phase, you get a bright band. Where they are out of phase you get cancellation and dark bands.

What happens if you change the light source to a device that emits a single particle of light (a photon) at a time, or if you do the same thing with electrons?

If you run it long enough, you will build up the same pattern of light and dark bands, as if each particle is going though both slits and interfering with itself.

What happens if you put some sort of detector near the slits, so you can determine which slit any given particle goes through?

You don't get an interference patter of light and dark bands.

So the mere fact that you are "looking" at the slits, changes what happens.

Who's to say that my whiskey or Anni's shirt aren't having a similar effect?

My money's on the whiskey

I expect to see this all published in one of the influential journals and very favorably peer reviewed ASAP. :thumb:

Cheers, BostonTim

Well amongst certain circles, the Planet is as influential journal as there is. :coffee:

No, the idea is not substantially different than what you linked to in the OP.

It is a question regarding can the observer effect the outcome of an experiment.

The "classic" Gedankenexperiment on this is Schrodinger's Cat. The cat is both "alive" and "dead" inside the box and until you open it an "observe" the inside, it does not collapse to a single state.

There are actual observable experiments that show a similar phenomena. The Double-Slit experiment is a good example.

If you put a light source behind a screen, with two slits, you will see bands of light and dark on a screen on the other side.

This is most readily explained as an interference pattern from the light waves that come from each slit. Where the light waves are in phase, you get a bright band. Where they are out of phase you get cancellation and dark bands.

What happens if you change the light source to a device that emits a single particle of light (a photon) at a time, or if you do the same thing with electrons?

If you run it long enough, you will build up the same pattern of light and dark bands, as if each particle is going though both slits and interfering with itself.

What happens if you put some sort of detector near the slits, so you can determine which slit any given particle goes through?

You don't get an interference patter of light and dark bands.

So the mere fact that you are "looking" at the slits, changes what happens.

Who's to say that my whiskey or Anni's shirt aren't having a similar effect?

My money's on the whiskey

Cool, so now you're talking about illogical inference of causation from correlation when you say, "Who's to say that my whiskey or Anni's shirt aren't having a similar effect?"

Funny, I thought Morales made the same illogical correlation inference that you made with his tempt destiny prediction. But then he made a causal connection of the dichotomy between the fans and their team which I found logical. Your whiskey and shirt has nothing to do with the game, the TV set, or the place you are at. All of these variables can indeed exist without the other. Sorry nothing there but the coincidence of superstition, but of course you already know that.

Perhaps I am wrong, but isn't "looking" an act of "selection"? Hmmm

I'll make my response like a basic computer program:

1. Do you watch football?
2. If the answer to #1 is no: please leave the thread.
3. If the answer to #1 is yes: Are you aware of how superstitious NFL players and coaches are?
4. If the answer to #3 is no: please leave the thread.
5. If the answer to #3 is yes: In turn, are you aware of how superstitious NFL fans are?
6. If the answer to #5 is no: please leave the thread.
7. If the answer to #5 is yes: are you aware of how fans will do anything they can to help the team?
8. If the answer to #7 is no: please leave the thread.
9. If the answer to #7 is yes: better safe than sorry. My point = made.

Hope that helps :toast:

You wont get an argument from me that superstition plays a role in sports. But this tempt destiny thing talks about cause an effect, not about the coincidence of superstition.

Although, I must admit it is fun to speculate.

It's actually not that complicated. It's similar in construct to my if I drink the right whiskey from the right glass, we always win hypothesis.

BTW, I have a hypothesis to explain the last four games of the regular season. As we all know, the Pat's started very slow in all four games.

In all the games I started with the blended and only switched to a single malt when necessary.

In all but the Miami game, as soon as I switched to the single malt, the situation improved and the Pats ended up winning.

In the Miami game, I did not have any whiskey until I got to my parents house early in the 3rd Qtr (it was Christmas Eve). As soon as I had my first blended scotch, the Pats scored their first TD.

So, clearly it wasn't the case that the blended no longer had any power.

It took me a bit to understand the likely explanation.

I DVR all the games so I can do my own slow mo replay and so I can skip the commercials.

For all but the Miami game I delayed starting watching the game for about 20-30 minutes so I built up enough buffer to skip through the commercials.

The Miami game was "live".

Now clearly the Power of Whiskey® is spatially invariant. I watch the games at home and not at the stadium so whiskey has the power to work across space.

The question is can it work across time, that is is is temporally invariant.

The difference between the Miami game and the other three, is how much of a time delay the whiskey had to work through.

As soon as I switched to a single malt, there was a noticeable effect. Therefore I conclude that the single malt is capable of bridging a relatively large time gap. The blended clearly does not.

I put this concept to the test in the Divisional round game since I started watching the DVR recording immediately after the end of the SF/NO game. As such I was not more than 8 minutes out of sync with real time.

Clearly the blended was able to punch through only 8 minutes.

Since the SB is one of the few games where I actually watch the commercials, I should be very close to real time for the entire game.

Macallan 12 works for me...through both time and space to punch through a new dimension of win. :party:

I remember this crap err billboard stuff.:rolleyes:

You wont get an argument from me that superstition plays a role in sports. But this tempt destiny thing talks about cause an effect, not about the coincidence of superstition.

Although, I must admit it is fun to speculate.

Dude, you can't just run a ctrl+break on my program.

What the Hell? I don't get it? Every time the Giants fans win this billboard thing, whether the team accepts the billboard or not, the Giants go on to win the Super Bowl????

WTF? I just don't get this?

so can you put this billboard thing to rest and never speak of it again please?

Well I guess this is a case in point for grog's **** karma posting. So much for superstition.

Back