Grits or not

JD10367 on 01-10-2008 at 03:29 PM said:
Never tried grits, don't want to (although I've seen 'em on the menu of many a Waffle House in my travels to, from, and around Florida).

Every ethnicity/region has it's "poor man's filler food"... something tasteless that serves as the main carb/calorie substance. Cous-cous. Polenta. (Hell, pasta in itself.) Grits. Potatoes. Etc.,.

Up north, we have our meat and eggs with potatoes: either hash browns (chunky potatoes, usually grilled/fried, sometimes with onion and black pepper or even paprika) or home fries (the shoestring variety found at Waffle House, or in a Betty Crocker box in the supermarket).
Oh, man, don't call pasta "poor man's filler food". In fact, I can hear the Irish folks now about the potatoes...

In terms of eggs, ever since a kid, loved sheared eggs. But still love omelette, mainly for the fillings. Something better as a frittata. Unload all the old leftovers....

Grits are basically plain cream of wheat, or plain polenta(soft), and why would one want to drop their sunny sides on that?

Thats why they make toast.

Catsup on scrambleds is a must. Along with just a dash of tobasco.

Grits rock!

My favorite thing to do is put a big slab of butter on them (while hot)... then top it with sugar....then pour on some milk.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I've had Hominy once so I'll pass on the grits thanks.

OK..what is hamhocks(sp?) and beans? My college roomie used to mention that..he was from KY

Vito Babe on 01-10-2008 at 06:43 PM said:
Oh, man, don't call pasta "poor man's filler food". In fact, I can hear the Irish folks now about the potatoes...

:shrug: Why not? It's the truth. And I'm Italian.

Rice, also (Far East/India).

You can eat meat and nothing else. You need a cheap, calorie-filled carb/starch.

I never had grits until I went on a golf weekend to Myrtle Beach and had some at the hotel breakfast buffet and then promptly went out and shot a round of 64

you don't believe that, no one does. It never happens. It's a dumb statement... skip it. Grits don't do sh!t

on the scrambled egg front....I used to love throwing everything but the kitchen sink into mine to eat until I got the bright idea one time to skip pancakes and do the eggs with a bunch o' maple syrup mixed in just to give me the sweet mapley taste w/o the cake part, y'know?

NFG :shake:

player on 01-10-2008 at 07:14 PM said:
OK..what is hamhocks(sp?) and beans? My college roomie used to mention that..he was from KY

Ham hocks are basically pig shins/lower thighs, cured and smoked like ham. They are cooked with beans (usually a lentil or white bean of some sort) and served over rice:

beansandrice.jpg

dred on 01-10-2008 at 06:52 PM said:
Grits rock!

My favorite thing to do is put a big slab of butter on them (while hot)... then top it with sugar....then pour on some milk.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now here's a man after my own heart! LOVE DEM GRITS!!! (yes, they used to be referred to as "hominy grits" but you can still get plain ol hominy in cans - white or yellow) Grits are especially good baked with cheese in a casserole - or just melt cheese on top of hot grits after you've got the melted butter thing happening.

Can't have breakfast around my house without having grits :)

I always think of my cousin vinny when I hear of grits ROFL

LVent* on 01-10-2008 at 07:27 PM said:
I always think of my cousin vinny when I hear of grits ROFL

"Do the Laws of physics simply cease to exist in your kitchen?" ROFL

RoadGrader on 01-10-2008 at 06:22 PM said:
I never had grits until I went on a golf weekend to Myrtle Beach and had some at the hotel breakfast buffet and then promptly went out and shot a round of 64

you don't believe that, no one does. It never happens. It's a dumb statement... skip it. Grits don't do sh!t

on the scrambled egg front....I used to love throwing everything but the kitchen sink into mine to eat until I got the bright idea one time to skip pancakes and do the eggs with a bunch o' maple syrup mixed in just to give me the sweet mapley taste w/o the cake part, y'know?

NFG :shake:

That's is so hot.

oldbagfan on 01-10-2008 at 07:26 PM said:
Now here's a man after my own heart! LOVE DEM GRITS!!! (yes, they used to be referred to as "hominy grits" but you can still get plain ol hominy in cans - white or yellow) Grits are especially good baked with cheese in a casserole - or just melt cheese on top of hot grits after you've got the melted butter thing happening.

Can't have breakfast around my house without having grits :)
So grits are the reason you took all those Balkan languages for that European version they serve! :lipsmack:

I like grits, but they dont have much taste on their own. I like to just mix some grits, corned beef hash and scrambled eggs in a bowl, and season them liberally with ketchup, hot sauce and cheese. Of course by that point they really arent grits anymore, its more of a cassarole.

And i prefer hash browns too.

Back