Has the Pope lost his mind?

Tiger_69

Reaction score
I'll start off by apologizing to any Catholics that regularly practice their religion and respect the Pope. I don't.

No sports on Sunday is even more ridiculous than the **** he has uttered recently about not serving hot dogs on opening day .

Yo, Pope dude, how about sealing the lips and let the people choose what they want to do on Sunday, or any other day for that matter.

You mean the Pope is still alive????!!??

pope03272004.jpg
From the looks of this I'd say not for long :p

It's not just the Catholics either.

My family has a cottage on a campground that's owned by the Wesleyan Church. There's a beach nearby, as well as a baseball diamond. Both places are off-limits on Sundays, after much debate by the church board. Now, I'm a religious person, but what's wrong with a little Sunday afternoon dip in the water? Isn't Sunday supposed to be a day of rest from work? Seems like they miss the point...

JPK

Todays story or "plea" is just a microcosm into why religion just aint as popular as it used to be.
Just when it seems like Catholic Priest was a Synonym for "NAMBLA member" he musters up the energy to mumble this crap.
One more reason to ignore that plate they pass around.
Sorry that's just how I feel.

pookie said:

I think he died years ago and was replaced by anamotronics.

I'll try not to comment on this. And George Bush too.

pookie said:

Sure he is. Matter of fact, Al Davis is looking to sign him to a long term contract....

...just kidding, of course. JP2 isn't that old!

You mean Pookie is still alive????

Exactly how does playing football or any other sport on Sunday offend God?

I would think he'd love it... It brings people together and if a game is very close at the end... It invokes a lot of praying. ;)

Seriously though... People SHOULD go to church on Sunday and pray and worship and all that... but they can do that and STILL enjoy sports.

"Oh, a red neck nerd in a bowling shirt was guzzlin' Lone Star Beer, talking religion and-a politics for all the world to hear" - Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys

Sure and it's a volatile subject, but an interesting one. I was born and raised a Friday fish-eater, but at this point can barely tolerate the entire thing.

I just read Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown and both go into so interesting historical facts about religion and the Catholic Church in particular and as near as I can determine all based on fact.

Some of the stuff was shocking. Popes like Mafia capos having adversaries rubbed out, the Vatican making criminals out of some of the world's greatest scientists for having the audacity to try and understand the universe we live in on a deeper level, the systematic brain-washing of the masses including subjugating half the population of the planet (women) into a second-class existence, and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

There have been some high-stakes power plays made for thousands of years by the Catholic Church and the recent total arrogance in it's handling of a pervasive child-abuse scandal is not at all unusual in their annals, but is really just business as usual.

I'd like to think they can turn it around and emphasize the good things they do and cure some of the bad, but I have even less faith in the Church's leadership than I do in their entire dogma and this bunch will continue to shoot themselves in the foot until their is nothing left of their once-mighty empire.

All they have to do is the right thing, but they are seemingly incapable of dealing with reality. People aren't ignorant anymore and they need to adapt to the modern world and I doubt they ever will.

It's a shame, but I'm currently shopping for a new belief system. So far Druidism seems to be in the lead. Seriously, the Druids had their sh1t together.

Anyone know any sensible religions I could research?

This doesn't apply to me, I am Greek Orthodox.

I don't know why this is an issue now, its been going on for how long? Out of the blue, its bad? I don't understand.

I consider myself religious, i believe in God, but I don't think going to church every sunday is going to make me more of a beleiver.

My church in August-January is Lot 1 at Gillette. Tailgating is my release from the real world for the day. I have done my share of praying on Sundays for the past few years.

Hawg check out Greek orthodox, (man I sound like a Harry chrishna) you may like it

My belief system is quite simple really.
I believe in myself. (corny I know) But it's true.
If I need anything else there must be something wrong.

And of course the great God of Barley.:thumb:

Hawg73 said:
I was born and raised a Friday fish-eater, but at this point can barely tolerate the entire thing.

Ditto Hawgster. I was born and raised Catholic and we were at church every Sunday and had to do the CCD thing, etc.....

However, even being that Catholic that I am, the Catholic church has lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. I'm often embarrassed to let people know that I'm a Catholic in the south. Of course my kids are forced to go to church every Sunday w/ Mom and go to Sunday school, but I'm not shoving this religion down their throat like was done to so many for so many years. When my boys turn 18, they make their own decisions on religion. They see all the crap on TV about the thousands of priest molestations and believe me they take notice.

I'm also very close to drinkalot's God of Barley... we're tight.

Hawg73 said:

I just read Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown and both go into so interesting historical facts about religion and the Catholic Church in particular and as near as I can determine all based on fact.

Some of the stuff was shocking. Popes like Mafia capos having adversaries rubbed out, the Vatican making criminals out of some of the world's greatest scientists for having the audacity to try and understand the universe we live in on a deeper level, the systematic brain-washing of the masses including subjugating half the population of the planet (women) into a second-class existence, and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

All I can say on the subject of Catholicism is:

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....
Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...
and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope....
Our four... no...
Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...
are such elements as fear, surprise...
I'll come in again.

See the sketch.

I am just about to read the DaVinci Code...

Hawg73 said:
It's a shame, but I'm currently shopping for a new belief system. So far Druidism seems to be in the lead. Seriously, the Druids had their sh1t together.

I've always been infatuated with Epicureanism - "Live the good life".
:)
________
vaporizer store

NoRespect said:
All I can say on the subject of Catholicism is:

I am just about to read the DaVinci Code...

A great book. If you have not read Angels and Demons it is kind of a prequel with the same lead character. It didn't get the same buzz as the DVC, but is as good or better. I think I preferred it, but they are both superb.

I can't remember the last time I read books that we as intelligent, well-written and thrilling, not to mention thought-provoking.

I have a buddy who is involved with the Masons and I asked him what they are all about. He tried, but until I read A&D it didn't make any sense to me.

Check out Danbrown.com for pictures of the locations in the books and detail etc. I agree with Nelson Demille (another good one) - Brown is a genius.

Hawg73 said:
"Oh, a red neck nerd in a bowling shirt was guzzlin' Lone Star Beer, talking religion and-a politics for all the world to hear" - Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys

Sure and it's a volatile subject, but an interesting one. I was born and raised a Friday fish-eater, but at this point can barely tolerate the entire thing.

There have been some high-stakes power plays made for thousands of years by the Catholic Church and the recent total arrogance in it's handling of a pervasive child-abuse scandal is not at all unusual in their annals, but is really just business as usual.

I'd like to think they can turn it around and emphasize the good things they do and cure some of the bad, but I have even less faith in the Church's leadership than I do in their entire dogma and this bunch will continue to shoot themselves in the foot until their is nothing left of their once-mighty empire.

All they have to do is the right thing, but they are seemingly incapable of dealing with reality. People aren't ignorant anymore and they need to adapt to the modern world and I doubt they ever will.

I too was raised a Catholic. There aresome things I enjoy about the religion, such as the rosary. I also attend The Spiritualist Church of Onset. The belief of Spiritualists is to treat others the way you would want to be treated, man rules his own destiny, and the belief that people have the abulity to speak with people who have passed. Every service has a reiki healing, than the pastor gives the sermon. Last week it was about judging others, in conjunction with the parable about the 6 blind men and the elephant. Than, the fun part is at the end. Everybody gets a reading before they leave. So you leave with a message that's uplifting! There isn't any dogma. I know there's a 2pm service on Sundays at the Plymouth church. Our services are at 6:30 pm on Sundays. It's a very cool church.

Hey Hawg... Looking for a new religion?

How about Nudism? I love it!!!

Oh wait, thats not actually a religion is it...

;)

lol

(I'm not actually a nudist, by the way... But sometimes I wish certain females were!!!) :D

Wait a minute---Isn't FOOTBALL a religion?!... ;)
Besides Hawg, I thought that although you were brought up Catholic, that you subscribed to the "Church of the Presumptive Assumption" or something like that... :D

I was brought up Episcopalian, but my Dad always said that he didn't care what religion we decided to practice, as long as we had religion in our lives... From that & our family of six kids, we ended up with two agnostics, two "born agains" (each at the opposite ends of the two extremes) and two "home-baptists", if you will... I am one of the latter... I never feel closer to God than when I am at home talking to Him, in my own way or when I am outside, communing with Nature and talking to him...

And now my little sister, one of the "agnostics", wants me to become a Justice of the Peace and perform her marriage ceremony, with the caveat that I cannot use the word "God", in the service... Hmmm... What's wrong with this picture?!... :confused:

Back