Hotel suggestions?

Hawg73 on 07-31-2007 at 03:39 PM said:
Depends on what BOU is into.

If your a high-end steak joint guy we have the usual assortment common to most major cities, but I like the Capital Grille. Pricey, but outstanding.

If you like ethnic, then you might like a trip over to the Italian North End, which is a pretty cool spot on a busy weekend. Picture narrow streets loaded with restaraunts and the locals looking like extras from a Scorsese movie. I don't have a particular favorite, but do recommend that you never eat dessert where you have dinner and save a few corners to be filled at Mike's Pastry on Hanover St. A great place. Try a creme horn with a cappuchino and you won't be sorry.

You might also check out a North End place called Graffitti. Grab a spot at the bar and check out the scenery both on the street and inside. Last time I was there it was wall-to-wall Boston models, which in San Diego terms means "slightly above average". ;)

I also like Jacob Wirth's which is the oldest restaraunt in Beantown. An Ancient funky atmosphere and beer menu and a fun piano bar after 9pm or so. It's down near Chinatown which is a winner as well.

Good luck. Bring one of your cashmere sweaters with the elbow patches because it might get chilly.

Avoid Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall at all costs unless you happen to enjoy clusterf#$ks. Seriously, it can be a fun spot on a warm night and is usually packed. Try walking through without buying any food. You'll never make it.

I've never met you, Hawg, but you seem to me like you're the perfect person to play Spenser from the Robert B. Parker mystery books. (Not the college-jock-model-looking version on TV from Robert Urich, but the guy Parker describes in his book, sort of a flat-nosed hard-ass Dick Tracy-lookin' guy with a mean right hook and a cooking ability to rival Emeril Legasse. Don't even get me started on the casting of Joe Mantegna in the TV movies, eesh...)

JD10367 on 07-31-2007 at 03:46 PM said:
I've never met you, Hawg, but you seem to me like you're the perfect person to play Spenser from the Robert B. Parker mystery books. (Not the college-jock-model-looking version on TV from Robert Urich, but the guy Parker describes in his book, sort of a flat-nosed hard-ass Dick Tracy-lookin' guy with a mean right hook and a cooking ability to rival Emeril Legasse. Don't even get me started on the casting of Joe Mantegna in the TV movies, eesh...)

Nah, I'm too much of an aging pretty-boy matinee idol, but I like places with atmosphere if that counts for anything (and I am a damn good cook).

I spent a month one week in Dublin, Ohio and there was nothing there older than about two years. Literally. I think the town was just invented and the concrete had hardly dried. My wife picked me up at Logan when I got back on a hot summer night and suprised me with dinner in the North End. It really struck me how real and funky it was after an empty stretch in strip-mall hell. I've never loved being a Bostonian more than that night. We hit it during a festival night too, which is always a major bonus.

Places like that make Boston worth all the traffic and the bullshit with parking and potholes etc.

Benign Despot on 07-31-2007 at 04:12 PM said:
Mikes takes to long, Modern Pastry down the street gets better ratings for 1/2 the wait.

To bad the BoMo is gone, I think BOU would have enjoyed Weymouth.

Weymouth?

You'd send somebody from SanDiego to the freaking Boston Motel? I think there are bedbugs still on site waiting to get their mattress back.

Someday I'll tell the tale of my Halloween hell night there. I signed in at the register as "Jack O'Lantin".

Modern Pastry is good, but lacks the eye candy appeal of Mike's and NOBODY makes a creme horn like Mike.

We stayed here: Harbourside Inn Of Boston last November. Hotel was fine with a great location for sightseeing in Boston. There was a T station right outside (the line to/from Logan airport). Not a good area for parking though. We just rented a car for one day for a 1 pm. game. Picked it up at the airport in the morning and returned it later in the day. Renting a car is the only way to get to Gillette if you want to tailgait since the train from Boston arrives just before the game starts and leaves right after. You really only have time to get to and from your seat.

I'm sure someone on this board likes BOU enough to pick him up at some train station and let him tailgate with them.

He can always choose to take the train BACK to Boston after the game. I'm just unsure as to whether you buy your return ticket from Foxboro to Boston right on the train after the game or if you have to get it in the morning at South Station (which also isn't that big of a deal if he's staying in Boston).

THis thread is freaking fun to read. A few observations. . .

Been to the North End and Graffiti, even got a few goodies at Mikes. All of the above were aces so I know I'm getting solid advice!:thumb:

As far as the game goes, we fully intend to track a few of you down before the game. I'm assuming we can take a train to the game, and back. But we plan on getting there early. If a train won't get us there, we'll split a town car or a cab or some random combination.

From the looks of it, the train sked will be adjusted for the game time. But it only gets you there about an hour before kickoff. That just ain't gonna get her done.

As for the tailgating, at least one of the faithful here has extended a kind invite and we fully expect to reciprocate that hospitality by showering his tailgate with some fine libations.:thumb:

LOL at Jack O Lantin and a few other rather hilarious bits on here.

Mark and I were amongst the first to arrive at the Meadowlands when we played the Jets last. We met truckloads of folks. You guys will appreciate this part. . .Our seats were in the very front row on the 45 yd line, at the field level, behind our bench. We were islands in a sea of green furiously (I mean seriously irate, no joke) demanding to know how we got our seats. (I had a client with a connection that owed him a favor). This trip should be better, by far, due to the fans, the teams, and the quality we'll see on the field.

Thanks again for all the input! Now I just need to chillax for 6 more weeks.:mad:

BoltsOwnU on 07-31-2007 at 07:11 PM said:
As far as the game goes, we fully intend to track a few of you down before the game. I'm assuming we can take a train to the game, and back. But we plan on getting there early. If a train won't get us there, we'll split a town car or a cab or some random combination.

From the looks of it, the train sked will be adjusted for the game time. But it only gets you there about an hour before kickoff. That just ain't gonna get her done.

Yeah, the train is very convenient but does get you there only about an hour before game time (hence the reason I suggested perhaps bumming a ride down for tailgating purposes and taking the train back to Boston afterwards).

If I had tickets, I'd tailgate. If I tailgated, I'd pick you up early. So buy me a ticket. :D

Taking the train to Gillette = ZERO tailgaiting

Rent a car for the day, get a limo, or get me and the wife a ticket and tailgate with us. :thumb:

I'll echo what the others are saying about the train. When you take the train, you get off and go directly into the stadium.

As it gets closer, we can all start to form a plan for a massive Planet gathering. Right now, that's looking like a crazy day for me. I'll be in Chicago that weekend to move my daughter into her apartment. My plan right now is to take an early morning flight back to Providence, arriving at 11 AM. Home by noon, time to pack the tailgate, catch a snooze and then off to the lot.

Many of us have gotten together in the past, either by meeting up before the game and caravaning in or just designating a spot in the lots and meeting up there. The wild card this year is the construction around the stadium. The lots will be a little chaotic. Since that's the first home game of the regular season, many people will be parking in unfamiliar locations. So cell phones will be crucial.

bideau on 08-01-2007 at 06:35 AM said:
I'll echo what the others are saying about the train. When you take the train, you get off and go directly into the stadium.

As it gets closer, we can all start to form a plan for a massive Planet gathering. Right now, that's looking like a crazy day for me. I'll be in Chicago that weekend to move my daughter into her apartment. My plan right now is to take an early morning flight back to Providence, arriving at 11 AM. Home by noon, time to pack the tailgate, catch a snooze and then off to the lot.

Many of us have gotten together in the past, either by meeting up before the game and caravaning in or just designating a spot in the lots and meeting up there. The wild card this year is the construction around the stadium. The lots will be a little chaotic. Since that's the first home game of the regular season, many people will be parking in unfamiliar locations. So cell phones will be crucial.
Personally, I think you should spend the entire weekend with the daughter, (and sell your tickets to me).

:thumb:

bideau on 08-01-2007 at 03:35 AM said:

Well, BOU hopes to raise a glass with as many of you as he can. This has been years in the making. . .BOU best get to work on his rhymes. . .

Back