How much is D. Thomas worth?

I think you missed my point with Seattle. The hawks didn't spend the big bucks on a QB till last year, because Wilson was playing on a rookie contract. That meant that Seattle could spend lots of money elsewhere. Now that they spent the big dollar on Wilson, they can't spend a ton of cash elsewhere. And I think it showed. Their team is not what it was. I agree that Wilson deserves the money. Shoot, Id take him in a heartbeat. And I agree that BB is great. I just question if he will hang em up when TB hangs em up? I find it hard to believe that he will want to "rebuild". The dude is getting old. Maybe J Mac sticks around and BB hands it off. Never know.

It is not just Wilson but Seattle paid big bucks to its defensive players as well. I think Kam will be gone this year too because he wants more money and may threaten to sit out again. That is what makes the FA/cap era so difficult. Who to pay and who to let go. I think Carroll and Schneider know what they are doing better than any other team other than the Pats. These couple of drafts will be huge for them to continue to have success but with Wilson there and their secondary locked up other than Kam, they should be fine.

In terms of BB, I don't think he will retire when Brady retires. Just a gut feeling. I think he will want to continue to be GM at least but may retire as a HC. I sure do hope he gives us a chance to see him post-Brady.

It is not just Wilson but Seattle paid big bucks to its defensive players as well. I think Kam will be gone this year too because he wants more money and may threaten to sit out again. That is what makes the FA/cap era so difficult. Who to pay and who to let go. I think Carroll and Schneider know what they are doing better than any other team other than the Pats. These couple of drafts will be huge for them to continue to have success but with Wilson there and their secondary locked up other than Kam, they should be fine.

In terms of BB, I don't think he will retire when Brady retires. Just a gut feeling. I think he will want to continue to be GM at least but may retire as a HC. I sure do hope he gives us a chance to see him post-Brady.

It would answer questions for sure. When Elway retired, Bronco Nation felt all was well cause we had Shanny still as GM and HC. That did not go to well for him. In fact in my opinion he lost a lot of credibility. He couldn't win with out his star QB. He tried to find his new star to the point that he benched Jake Plummer for Cutler in Cutler's rookie season. One season after Plummer took the Broncos to the AFC Championship. In fact the year after Elway retired, Shanahan took it upon himself to start rookie Brian Griese over the vet Bubby Brister. That damaged the locker room before the season even started. Shanahan the GM ruined it for Shanahan the coach. He tried to find the next star QB and it didn't happen. I could see that same thing happen in New England.

It would answer questions for sure. When Elway retired, Bronco Nation felt all was well cause we had Shanny still as GM and HC. That did not go to well for him. In fact in my opinion he lost a lot of credibility. He couldn't win with out his star QB. He tried to find his new star to the point that he benched Jake Plummer for Cutler in Cutler's rookie season. One season after Plummer took the Broncos to the AFC Championship. In fact the year after Elway retired, Shanahan took it upon himself to start rookie Brian Griese over the vet Bubby Brister. That damaged the locker room before the season even started. Shanahan the GM ruined it for Shanahan the coach. He tried to find the next star QB and it didn't happen. I could see that same thing happen in New England.

That is a good point about Shanny. I have always believed the players are more important than the coach especially when it comes to the QB position. Knoll did not have success post-Bradshaw and Walsh left the pro game altogether and went to college after Montana.

I believe the Pats success is predicated more on Brady than Bill the GM or coach. I may be proven wrong but Bill's history pre-Brady would indicate I am probably right. That being said, he is the best GM in this era and his coaching is the best all time but how much of that is made easier by #12? A lot I would imagine. I remember the talk around here when Bledsoe was struggling and how we needed to get him a new Oline, better receivers, etc. and then Brady stepped on the field and everything just fell into place and 3 rings in 4 years. It is a rare thing to have a legendary QB.

That is a good point about Shanny. I have always believed the players are more important than the coach especially when it comes to the QB position. Knoll did not have success post-Bradshaw and Walsh left the pro game altogether and went to college after Montana.

I believe the Pats success is predicated more on Brady than Bill the GM or coach. I may be proven wrong but Bill's history pre-Brady would indicate I am probably right. That being said, he is the best GM in this era and his coaching is the best all time but how much of that is made easier by #12? A lot I would imagine. I remember the talk around here when Bledsoe was struggling and how we needed to get him a new Oline, better receivers, etc. and then Brady stepped on the field and everything just fell into place and 3 rings in 4 years. It is a rare thing to have a legendary QB.

Agreed. It was 10 years after Elway was gone that I realized that the Broncos were just average. Their records indicated it. Their week to week play indicated it, but it was hard to accept the fact that they were just an average team. This Superbowl run was the best ever in my opinion. Mainly cause I didn't take it for granted. And for the record, the Pats success IMO has far more to do with TB than BB. It just so happens that the 2 sorta came up together, and it's hard to imagine either one w/o the other. That's why I wouldn't be surprised a bit if BB hangs em up when TB does. Maybe as GM only and a J. Mac as HC or something like that. Similar to what the Broncos are doing now.

Agreed. It was 10 years after Elway was gone that I realized that the Broncos were just average. Their records indicated it. Their week to week play indicated it, but it was hard to accept the fact that they were just an average team. This Superbowl run was the best ever in my opinion. Mainly cause I didn't take it for granted. And for the record, the Pats success IMO has far more to do with TB than BB. It just so happens that the 2 sorta came up together, and it's hard to imagine either one w/o the other. That's why I wouldn't be surprised a bit if BB hangs em up when TB does. Maybe as GM only and a J. Mac as HC or something like that. Similar to what the Broncos are doing now.

I really don't want McDaniels as HC but that has been the scuttle. That he is being groomed to take over for Bill. I guess we will see. But it is possible that Brady's legacy will only grow after he retires if the Pats struggle.

It is good to never take SBs for granted. I felt the same way last year. I savored every moment of that win and still watch the game. Just so sweet.

I really don't want McDaniels as HC but that has been the scuttle. That he is being groomed to take over for Bill. I guess we will see. But it is possible that Brady's legacy will only grow after he retires if the Pats struggle.

It is good to never take SBs for granted. I felt the same way last year. I savored every moment of that win and still watch the game. Just so sweet.[/QUOTE]

And that's why we invest so much of our lives and soul to the game. I still laugh at myself when I get all worked up. It's a bunch of grown assed men running around beating each other up. And getting paid well to do so. Then I question why I care so much. Then Sunday rolls around and I'm right back at it. And I love it!

Walsh retired when Super Joe was still with SF. Walsh retired right after winning the SB in 89. I don't think Joe left SF until 1993.

Never...BB is the best coach ever. Seriously.

Walsh retired when Super Joe was still with SF. Walsh retired right after winning the SB in 89. I don't think Joe left SF until 1993.

Right. My point was that we never saw Walsh in the pro game after he left the niners/Montana. Of course Montana went on to win another SB with Seifert before being trading and having a pretty good career in KC.

I do hope BB gives us the chance to see him GM and/or coach without Brady. I would love for him to prove me wrong and continue the historic winning with another QB. That would be awesome.

Right. My point was that we never saw Walsh in the pro game after he left the niners/Montana. Of course Montana went on to win another SB with Seifert before being trading and having a pretty good career in KC.

I do hope BB gives us the chance to see him GM and/or coach without Brady. I would love for him to prove me wrong and continue the historic winning with another QB. That would be awesome.

11-5 with Matt Cassel. Sample size.

11-5 with Matt Cassel. Sample size.

I think that one season though is pretty flawed. Cassel inherited one of the best teams in Pats history that year coming off the almost perfect season and the Pats had one of the easiest schedules ever and still they did not make the post-season. Cassell played well but nowhere close to Brady's performance the year before. If anything that kind of goes along with my thinking that the Pats will still be competitive post-Brady but not come close to the rings. I hope I am wrong.

This is flat out ridiculous. The guy won 2 SB and that's that. Yes he was blown out in 3 SB. That he almost single single-handedly took to the Bowl. The guy knows how to win. I know what you all are gonna say, but he owned the Colorado Crush for 6 years. In those 6 years the team went to the playoffs 4 times, 2x division champs and 1 championship. That is pretty good. Fast forward to the NFL. Elway took over the Broncos in 2011. What a pile of crap he walked into. But the following year he had the Broncos in the playoffs, and hasn't missed since. So yep. I'd say he wins. Wins the big game every year? That is silly to even talk about. I will bet right now, from this point forward, the Broncos do better than the Pats over the next 10 years. And that makes me happy.

I'll take that bet, any day, all day.

I think that one season though is pretty flawed. Cassel inherited one of the best teams in Pats history that year coming off the almost perfect season and the Pats had one of the easiest schedules ever and still they did not make the post-season. Cassell played well but nowhere close to Brady's performance the year before. If anything that kind of goes along with my thinking that the Pats will still be competitive post-Brady but not come close to the rings. I hope I am wrong.

The point was could BB coach without Brady...and he did exactly that.

The point was could BB coach without Brady...and he did exactly that.

I don't think anyone quite put it that way. The question was more would the Pats success continue. I don't think anyone believes the Pats will fall of the map when Brady hangs them up if Bill is still GM and/or HC but to what level of success will they have? I think that is hard to quantify but certainly the Cassell season would indicate the Pats will still contend.

I don't think anyone quite put it that way. The question was more would the Pats success continue. I don't think anyone believes the Pats will fall of the map when Brady hangs them up if Bill is still GM and/or HC but to what level of success will they have? I think that is hard to quantify but certainly the Cassell season would indicate the Pats will still contend.

I think BB would be a very good head office guy...McD could do well with BB always in his ear, giving him tips and suggestions.

I think BB would be a very good head office guy...McD could do well with BB always in his ear, giving him tips and suggestions.

I am not a big McD fan as a HC but you are right with Bill as GM in his ear it could work. McD is a great offensive mind and perhaps he has learned some from his time in Denver.

I am not a big McD fan as a HC but you are right with Bill as GM in his ear it could work. McD is a great offensive mind and perhaps he has learned some from his time in Denver.

He was made out to be this huge failure in Denver via the media...but, he actually didn't suck that bad. His second year was his worst. But, he should have had a longer leash than what he was given there imo.

You can't live in fear/be afraid to fail and he never had that problem. BB got fired before. Stuff happens. I think that McD learned a lot from that experience.

Back