How The Once Mighty Have Fallen - Boston Sports Radio Ratings

Patriots44

call me... P Quatro, Quatro
Reaction score
I remember back in the day (before 98.5 the sports hub) when WEEI was king. I don't recall there being any real competition, but I did enjoy Ordway, Smerlas, the winer line, etc.
I'm not a fan of Toucher and Rich but I like the other shows (and I know Felger and Mazz can be annoying, but they are obviously annoying on purpose as part of the shtick).
Anywho, I saw this article on the winter ratings, and man WEEI is getting smoked.....

Turned off Kirk and Callahan years before they got canned/left/whatever but I recognize that they brought the ratings and the ratings left with them.

The best part of the new morning show was Danielle Murr and she is gone. They're going to replace her with a dingbat.

I could never stand Dale and can't stand Gresh so no afternoon show for me. I will occasionally listen to OMF because they can be funny.

Sirius is the way to go.

I don't consider any of them worth listening to.
Since I got SiriusXM I've never looked back. Far superior with real sports talk about real info from folks who have done it.

I don't consider any of them worth listening to.
Since I got SiriusXM I've never looked back. Far superior with real sports talk about real info from folks who have done it.
I recently got Sirius, what channels do you recommend?

I recently got Sirius, what channels do you recommend?
NFL is 88.
I also listen to espn during nfl commercials. espn has channels 81, 82 and 84. Fox sports is 83.

Mad Dog sports on (I think) channel 80 is worth a change of pace. On my SirusXM I think 80 and up starts a wave of sports channels that I'll check out depending on time of year (ex: NHL channel during hockey season, NFL channel around draft and during season)

I signed up during a promotion at a big discount for 6 months. I didn't renew but I'm still getting the service almost 2 years later.
Shhh! Don't tell anyone. :rofl:

Cheers

Loved when Movin' the Chains was hosted by Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan. Ryan left and was replaced by Jim Miller, who is good, but a little bit of a candy-ass. Still, Movin' the Chains on Sirius XM radio on the drive home is must listen to radio for any true football fan.

Felger is a douche's douche and his sidekick "You're absolutely right, Mike" are unlistenable.

Toucher and Rich are okay for Morning "it's too early to think" Drive radio.

I used to listen all the time to WEEI during the early aughts, but now I only catch some of the morning show and OMF. I don't listen on weekends or evenings anymore. Could be because of the end of the Pats' dominance or I just don't feel as if they have anything fresh to say.

I will listen during the NFL Draft but probably won't again 'til football season. Even then it's hit-or-miss, which never used to be the case when I started listening. Maybe I'm burnt out. Bleah!

Must be a big glitch in their system. Places require you to put a credit card on file.

I keep 1 card just for things like that. I cancel the card as "lost" every 4 months and get a new one with a new number. Problem solved.

my car has sat radio, which they unlocked in december for a freebie trial... i enjoyed it, but not enough to pay for it...

i listen to eei mainly for the Pats. and because fm radio sucks ass around here... the sports hub drops out just north of exit 3 in rhode island, so i will only listen to them when i head north...

i do gotta say, i like eei... they are kinda like an old pair of sneakers i can just slip my feet into without having to untie/tie them... but ugh Gresh is back... dude just doesnt know volume control and how not to fill every single second hes on the air with words...

Working at home means I am hardly ever in my car. And in the car was when I listened to sports radio. Needless to say I have paid little attention the last year. It already sucked before Covid, and surely has not improved.

I was an early adopter of Sirius. Before XM. Before Howard Stern.

I loved it when I first got it. Early 2000s I guess? So... I looked at the plans and did the math. They offered a Lifetime subscription then. It would pay for itself with 3 years of monthly.

So I did that, and still have that subscription now for free. The only charges have been when I need to transfer to a new radio.

I barely use it though. The compression is awful on the music. I will occasionally use it for sports.

But I barely drive any more and when I do, I want my lossless music.

I've had Sirius/XM "built in" on the last 3 cars we bought, but would just use the trial period and occasional free times, but not subscribe. Funny thing happened when I got my current car.... they didn't tell me when we were going thru the cars features, but the radio buffers all my presets for like over an hour, so I can skip around my presets and "skip back" to see what i might have missed while listening to another channel. If I couldn't do this I probably wouldn't subscribe, but I work in a few diff channels along with my go-to's (Ozzy's Boneyard, Hair Nation, Lithium, Classic rewind, and a few others) and it makes it worth the $ (which I called and told them I'd drop if I didn't get a much lower price, and they agreed... just have to keep checking on what they are charging so they don't sneak it up on me)
I went back and checked my wife's car, but her's doesn't do that. the other car that had it we no longer have, but it definitely didn't have that feature.

Your paying full price. They automatically renew with a card on file.
They don't have my CC either. They bill me annually and I call them, they give me a big discount and I pay it. They will do anything to keep subscribers. It's worth every penny as I listen to it in the house and the car. Need my 70s and 80s music fixes !

Still, Movin' the Chains on Sirius XM radio on the drive home is must listen to radio for any true football fan.
Definitely. Charlie Weiss gives good analysis BUT he breathes so heavily into the mic that I find him hard to listen to.

Back