How was that ruled a safety?

Grumpy_Bottom

Try our thick, creamy milkshakes
Reaction score
I don't get it...it was either: 1. A fumble knocked out of the back of the end zone by the defense...touchback. 2. A forward pass which was knocked down...first down Colts at the original line of scrimmage. 3. A lateral, knocked out of the back of the end zone...touchback.

What am i missing?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

I don't get it...it was either: 1. A fumble knocked out of the back of the end zone by the defense...touchback. 2. A forward pass which was knocked down...first down Colts at the original line of scrimmage. 3. A lateral, knocked out of the back of the end zone...touchback.

What am i missing?

No idea, but if you're gonna give up points on a mistake, I'll take 2 over 3 or 7 anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

What am i missing?

Pats Ball - Fumble - Out of the Endzone is a Safety

Colts never had posession of the ball ... cant be touchback

Pats Ball - Fumble - Out of the Endzone is a Safety

Colts never had posession of the ball ... cant be touchback

If i fumble at the 2 yard line, and in an attempt to recover, the defense knocks the ball out if the back of the end zone without taking possession, is that also a safety? I'd swear I've seen that happen and its a touchback. How is this different?

Colts player is not allowed to bat the ball towards our goal line in the field of play.

10 yd penalty and automatic first down.

Anderson, I'm not sure "batting" or intent even enters into it

Pretty lousy officiating both ways. I thought the fact that it was a non-flag throwing crew actually hurt the Colts more in the end (not an excuse - just an observation).

Here's the official explanation wh/ I still don't understand

On the safety call, Pete Morelli likely delayed the safety call to collect the information from nearly everyone. There was a possible shovel pass (it wasn’t, but looked like there was an intent to do so), which brings a potential incomplete pass call, bringing it back to the 44 yard line. In that case, intentional grounding is a possibility, assuming that #27 did not line up eligible.
There was no illegal bat penalty to be called here on the Colts defender lunging for the ball. The ball was barely out, and it is an obvious play on the ball.
And, even though it bounced off the Colts player to go into the end zone, it does not factor in a safety/touchback ruling. It is a safety because the Patriots were the last to possess the ball, and it was the fumble that caused it to be loose. Had the ball come to rest or near rest in the field, and a Colts player pounces on it and sends it into the end zone, then there is new impetus on the ball, which does not make it a safety.

<header class="liveblog-meta">
c12b00c9d877440230808cb5039cf9cc
Mark Schultz 2 hours ago </header> Here’s a video of the botched punt that ended up as a safety. I’d like to note Garth DeFelice. The umpire was watching his keys on the line of scrimmage so intently, he didn’t immediately react to the bad snap. DeFelice wasn’t a ball watcher on this play, he was doing his job watching the line. Good work! http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-.../Divisional-Round-Can-t-Miss-Play-Punt-Safely
http://www.footballzebras.com/2014/01/11/10117/

It was a touchback. The league and their apologists can circle the wagons all they want, but it was a touchback.
NFL Rule 8, Section 7, Article 3, Item 4b
If a ball is fumbled in a team’s own end zone or in the field of play and goes out of bounds in the end zone, it is a
safety, if that team provided the impetus that sent the ball into the end zone (See 11-5-1 for exception for
momentum). If the impetus was provided by the opponent, it is a touchback.

The definition of impetus is
im·pe·tus
ˈimpitəs
noun
1. the force or energy with which a body moves.

The force was applied by #61 on the Colts, ergo by rule 8.7.3.4b it is a touchback.

End of story.

As I said in the game thread, notice how the vast majority of judgment calls go against us. With a former Jet as the commissioner that's no accident.

It was a touchback. The league and their apologists can circle the wagons all they want, but it was a touchback.

The definition of impetus is

The force was applied by #61 on the Colts, ergo by rule 8.7.3.4b it is a touchback.

End of story.

As I said in the game thread, notice how the vast majority of judgment calls go against us. With a former Jet as the commissioner that's no accident.

Is there a different rule for when the offensive player backs out of the ez?
we all have seen that. Called a safety.

No part of Allen went into the end zone.

What is the call when Qb backs out the endzone?
Am thinking of a patriot game maybe ten years ago when we did it purpose.
It's the possession aspect of the rule.
to me the safety was the right call.

Back