It's time.

Grogan

Reaction score
What are thoughts on QB at the top of the draft. I personally like Maye over Williams but not by much. Some promising pick later in the 1st and 2nd rounds as well. I'm sure there will be varying opinions here but for me, if we have the shot at one of the top two, we simply can't pass on it. Everything in today's game starts and ends with the QB, if we have the QB then everything else much more easily fixable, just the way I see it. Curious to see how my fellow Pats fans view it.

Just that it's worth discussing at this point, no one is forcing you to partake.

I hope they draft Marvin Harrison JR. Give the pats a true Game changing WR. He will be any QBs favorite target
Drafting a QB with No weapons. Will lead to a Carolina Young & Chicago Fields situation .

Last edited:
If Williams and maye are gone, I'd be all for Harrison and a QB later. I don't agree that you pass on a potentially elite QB because you don't have the wr, you can get that player later in later rounds or FA, besides having Brady for 20 plus years should make it very clear that an elite QB makes everyone else better. If Young is elite, or even very good, the Panthers will never regret taking him.

What about the two quarterbacks that played last night for Washington and Oregon? They both looked pretty good to me. Not sure if either one is eligible to come out in the draft though this year.

If Williams and maye are gone, I'd be all for Harrison and a QB later. I don't agree that you pass on a potentially elite QB because you don't have the wr, you can get that player later in later rounds or FA, besides having Brady for 20 plus years should make it very clear that an elite QB makes everyone else better. If Young is elite, or even very good, the Panthers will never regret taking him.
You are not going to get a wr like Harrison in later rounds. He is the best offensive player in this draft.

I don’t know if Williams or Maye would be “elite”. I’m not sold on either of them.

What about the two quarterbacks that played last night for Washington and Oregon? They both looked pretty good to me. Not sure if either one is eligible to come out in the draft though this year.
Penix maybe but lacks the arm strength. Tough competitor though. Nix to me is similar to Mayfield & I've been preaching that the Pats should make a run at Baker in free agency & draft Harrison. I'm sure I am in the minority on that.

Well, we know we need some starters: a QB, 2 WRs who can perform well consistently, an OT and a CB at a minimum.
We don't know which players the Patriots will re-sign and which ones will be let go. I assume BB will still be here but I don't even know that for sure.
Without knowing the Patriots off season plan, I'll limit this to ranking the QBs in the draft, since too much other stuff is up in the air.

I'm assuming the Pats will pick up a veteran FA QB to start in '24. Mayfield looks like the guy as of now.
I'll also qualify my take with comments after each QB.

As always, prospect rankings are fluid and as of right now, realizing it's way too early to judge, here's my personal view of the QBs.

1. Caleb Williams with caveats. Junior. 6'1" 218. Short and stout. He'll need a different QBs coach and a different OC/offensive scheme to fit his skills than what we have now. West Coast-Chiefs fusion fits him best otherwise we'll have a little bit of a Bryce Young problem on our hands. I can't see him in our current system that was built for Tom Brady with 15-20 years of evolution. It won't work as well. Put him on SF or Philly or Miami right now and he'd be a star. I compare him to Tua as a passer with some Mahomes ability built in. VG 6.5:1 TD:Int ratio.
37 college games. 67% career completion %, 93 TDs, 14 ints., 169 career Passer Rating. Very good & consistent passer ratings throughout his career. Unreal.
Consensus pick #1.

2. Bo Nix - 5th yr. Senior. 6'3" 214. I can't believe I'm putting him this high but... He's a dual threat guy who can perform well on schedule and he has the athleticism to make plays off schedule. He's not the same guy I booed when he was at Auburn. He's shown pocket passing ability and running ability on or off platform. Strong and stout - he should hold up well in the NFL. As a runner, he's a faster Tim Tebow but Nix also has an NFL caliber arm which makes Nix much more dangerous than Tebow ever was. He'd do fine in our system with a few designed QB runs added. I'd sit him for a year, too. VG 7:1 TD:Int ratio
60 college games total. Stats do not count Auburn years --> 74% comp rate at Oregon the last 2 years, 69 TDs, 10 ints., 176 passer rating at Oregon (186 this year). Unreal.
Mid 1st round.

3. Drake Maye - Sophomore. 6'5" 220. Classic tall drop back pocket passer who fits our current system well. Very good arm, good mechanics, good accuracy, good velocity. He looks the part if his turnover worthy plays are controlled better. I'd let him sit on the bench for a year to learn the system. He could become the franchise guy we want with proper nurturing. I want to see QBs improve year to year in college and his stats have regressed a little so I'm not as high on Maye as some are. That's just me. His 65% comp % just gets him over the borderline and his 4:1 TD/Int ratio saves him as a legit prospect (3 to 1 is minimal for an NFL prospect).
26 varsity games played, 65% comp. rate (gone down a little from freshman year - disturbing), 63 TDs, 16 ints., 154 PR (gone down a little from freshman year - disturbing).
Consensus 2nd or 3rd pick.

4. Jayden Daniels - 5th yr. Senior. 6'3" 185. Another dual threat QB. He's got some Lamar Jackson to his game. His improvement at LSU over the last 2 years has been phenomenal. Good ball security, good ball placement, good enough arm and he's a threat to make something happen when he takes off. He's an exciting player. Sit him for a year and hope he continues to learn. Slim frame so I'd worry about his health holding up. 4.5:1 TD:Int ratio is fine.
55 college games. 66% comp, 89 TDs, 20 ints., 158 career passer rating (208 this year).
Pick 20-25.

5. Michael Penix - 6th yr. Senior. 6'3" 220. An unorthodox QB with sometimes awkward passing mechanics but he can still sling it. His TD/int ratio is the worst of this group at 3:1 which is minimal for an NFL QB prospect. Odunze helped Penix a lot. I consider Penix a backup NFL QB.

I don't think we have a shot at Caleb Williams so my pick for the Pats is the last guy I would have said back in August. If Bo Nix can be had at pick 15-18, picking him fits perfectly for Belichick trading back from 2 or 3 to the 15 area and getting another high pick to boot.

Last edited:
You are not going to get a wr like Harrison in later rounds. He is the best offensive player in this draft.
No way is a wr of more value than an elite QB, and you rarely get two prospects like Williams and Maye in the same draft. Harrison is Elite but not over the two QBs, unless of course you already have the QB, which we clearly don't.

Last edited:
I don’t know if Williams or Maye would be “elite”. I’m not sold on either of them.
As prospects they don't come much more elite, not sure what you're looking for in elite if you can't see it in them. Now, that's not to say either or both could end up busting in the NFL but as far as skill sets go for an NFL QB, there's not much more you can ask for in a prospect, they check pretty much all the boxes. If you're looking for guarantees you won't get any but when you have nothing at QB, you have to take the shots when given to you.

This I agree with completely. If it's not Williams, to me, it's Harrison, and if it's anyone else, it's a failure, unless it's a great haul for a trade down
Harrison is the obvious fall back, I just like Maye a little more than Williams. For me, if the top two QBs are gone, Harrison and a QB in the 2nd depending on who's still on the board isn't a bad way to go, but in my perfect world scenario, it's Williams or Maye, then the top ot left on the board in the 2nd. Who knows at this point, we don't know who will be in charge of the draft and if it's still Bill we are fucked.

I really like Bo Nix (from Oregon). I don't think I'd pick him to be THE guy. But if he lasts till rd 3 I'd be taking a serious look at him. Especially if we already got Jayden Daniels in the 1st and all we needed Nix to be is the backup, with the potential to be much more. He has a fantastic arm and is very accurate. But he's a little shorter than I like. And the offense at Oregon calls on him to mostly dink and dunk.

Penix (from Washington) has a fugly injury history. Four season-ending injuries. Yep, you read that right. Four. Both knees and both shoulders. I have doubts his body holds up till his second contract. Plus he's a lefty. Which would require a major overhaul and pigeonhole us a little as far as O-line personnel and backup QB.

Last edited:
Penix maybe but lacks the arm strength. Tough competitor though. Nix to me is similar to Mayfield & I've been preaching that the Pats should make a run at Baker in free agency & draft Harrison. I'm sure I am in the minority on that.
I can't say I'm well versed in the QBs other than the top two given where the pick is likely to fall. I've read some good things about them and I'm sure opinions will be all over the board. The bottom. Line is that this team needs alot, so as long as we end up with two really good offensive players that can make an impact I'll be happy.

Back