Jason Babin, do we want him?

But too many teams have the option before the pats.

To put in a waiver claim they would need to pick up his remaining contract of $5 mil per for another 4 years, correct? Would teams pass on that and let him hit free agency?

Sure they could try to let him go FA but a team with cap space today could grab him if he fits their style. I wonder why Philly let him go, what went on to force the release?

I know he has had sacks, is questionable against the run... But does he fit the patriots "know your role" style?

He probably will get suspended next week for adderral. I'd wait until he clears.

If those contract numbers are correct, that would be a heckuva price to pay unless Jones is going to be out much beyond this weekend.

If he clears waivers, I could see the Pats making a run for him.

He has 5.5 sacks this year, and was just outright cut from a 3-8 team on a 7-game losing streak.

Should he sign with another team this season, it will be his 7th team in the last 7 seasons. Also, 5.5 sacks represents his 3rd-highest sack total for his career.

But, thanks for starting the least surprising thread of the day. :thumb:

To put in a waiver claim they would need to pick up his remaining contract of $5 mil per for another 4 years, correct? Would teams pass on that and let him hit free agency?

They'd only be on the hook for the $1.6 mil left on the deal for the rest of this year. He's cuttable after that.

He has 5.5 sacks this year, and was just outright cut from a 3-8 team on a 7-game losing streak.

Should he sign with another team this season, it will be his 7th team in the last 7 seasons. Also, 5.5 sacks represents his 3rd-highest sack total for his career.

But, thanks for starting the least surprising thread of the day. :thumb:

They'd only be on the hook for the $1.6 mil left on the deal for the rest of this year. He's cuttable after that.

Thread winner ^.
You have to wonder why Reid would dump the guy. Many think it's a salary dump but there may be more behind the story. 7 teams in 7 seasons? The guy must be a real ass in the locker room. BB and Reid are pretty tight so if there's a story behind the story, BB will know it. Not to mention the guy is 32-33 yrs old.

We don't know if Jones will be back soon. Deaderick is playing better the last 2 games. Brace is back & healthy again. BB has used the 3 man front more recently as well, which frees up our LBs to rush the passer. There is simply too much info we don't know to correctly assess BB's interest level in Babin.

Grog mentioned about a pending suspension and that's the first thing I thought. Otoh, if a suspension is coming for PEDs, wouldn't the league office would tell any team interested?

7 teams in 7 years! Really? That may tell the whole story.

From NFL. He has had a lot of sacks recently. 6'3", 265. 32 yrs old.

<table class="data-table1" summary="Career Stats For Jason Babin" width="100%"><thead> <tr class="PHIcolors player-table-header"> <td colspan="16"> Career Stats more </td> </tr> <tr class="player-table-key two-row-top"> <td class="first-td">Season</td> <td>Team</td> <td colspan="2">
</td> <td class="" colspan="5">Tackles</td> <td class="" colspan="6">Interceptions</td> <td class="last-td" colspan="1">Fumbles</td> </tr> <tr class="player-table-key two-row-bot"> <td colspan="2" class="first-td">
</td> <td>G</td> <td>GS</td> <td class="">Comb</td> <td class="">Total</td> <td class="">Ast</td> <td class="">Sck</td> <td class="">SFTY</td> <td class="">PDef</td> <td class="">Int</td> <td class="">Yds</td> <td class="">Avg</td> <td class="">Lng</td> <td class="">TDs</td> <td class="last-td">FF</td> </tr> </thead> <tbody><tr> <td>2012</td> <td> Philadelphia Eagles </td> <td>11</td> <td> 11 </td> <td>26</td> <td>21</td> <td>5</td> <td>5.5</td> <td>--</td> <td>1</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>2</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2011</td> <td> Philadelphia Eagles </td> <td>16</td> <td> 16 </td> <td>40</td> <td>35</td> <td>5</td> <td>18.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>1</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>3</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2010</td> <td> Tennessee Titans </td> <td>16</td> <td> 16 </td> <td>58</td> <td>44</td> <td>14</td> <td>12.5</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>2</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2009</td> <td> Philadelphia Eagles </td> <td>12</td> <td> 0 </td> <td>16</td> <td>11</td> <td>5</td> <td>2.5</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2008</td> <td> Kansas City Chiefs </td> <td>7</td> <td> 4 </td> <td>31</td> <td>25</td> <td>6</td> <td>2.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2008</td> <td> Seattle Seahawks </td> <td>2</td> <td> 0 </td> <td>1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2007</td> <td> Seattle Seahawks </td> <td>2</td> <td> 0 </td> <td>0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2006</td> <td> Houston Texans </td> <td>15</td> <td> 3 </td> <td>26</td> <td>19</td> <td>7</td> <td>5.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>1</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2005</td> <td> Houston Texans </td> <td>12</td> <td> 3 </td> <td>35</td> <td>24</td> <td>11</td> <td>4.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>2</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>2</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td>2004</td> <td> Houston Texans </td> <td>16</td> <td> 16 </td> <td>63</td> <td>51</td> <td>12</td> <td>4.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>4</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>--</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="16" class="border-td">
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="4" class="player-totals">TOTAL</td> <td>296</td> <td>231</td> <td>65</td> <td>53.5</td> <td>0</td> <td>9</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>--</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>9</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://www.nfl.com/player/jasonbabin/2505900/profile

Also 3 wks ago Babin got into it with the Philly fans in a public confrontation.

Defensive end Jason Babin recently took to Twitter to confront fans. He defended those actions Thursday.
"Some of the most vile things I've ever heard," Babin told The Philadelphia Inquirer. "Talking about people's wives and kids and chanting them. I just thought there's no place for that in the NFL.
"It was upsetting that a few bad apples were chanting that kind of stuff. I don't even want to repeat what I heard, it was that bad. And I've got a pretty high threshold for adult jokes."
<table height="1" align="right" width="268"> <tbody> <tr> <td>

</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> This is what Babin posted over two tweets:
"LOYALTY: loy·al·ty: noun, plural loy·al·ties: The state or quality of being loyal; faithfulness to commitments or obligations ... There are 17 teams with the same record or worse than us. Thanks for being loyal fans.......We'll get it right."
It's hard in those Philadelphia streets these days. The defensive coordinator was fired. Coach Andy Reid is on the hot seat. Some want rookie Nick Foles to replace starter Michael Vick at quarterback.
Honestly, at least those so-called fans haven't started to throw things.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...abin-philadelphia-eagles-fans-say-vile-things

Fran Charles of the NFL Network interviews Babin and asks why he thinks he was released and why the Eagles have failed this year.

He doesn't answer the question of why he was released but many in the media suspect ownership and the FO are behind it in a salary dump. More dumps are expected. :shrug:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/philadelp...2/Jason-Babin-speaks-out-after-being-released
I think it more likely the Iggles are trying to get the attention of their players by cutting a guy who doesn't "get it" and is holding the team back with attitude and/or effort.

I think it more likely the Iggles are trying to get the attention of their players by cutting a guy who doesn't "get it" and is holding the team back with attitude and/or effort.

You could be right.

It won't happen but we can dream of a 12-15 each a year guy
Babin? 9 years, 53.5 sacks, and over half of them came in two years. The other nine years of his career he averaged 3 per year.

I'd rather play Bequette.

Back