JJ Stokes / Dedric Ward

star12

Reaction score
Jj Stokes

Did you all hear pats signed JJ STOKES today... and resigned genser back to the practice squad.. what ya all think..

Re: Jj Stokes

star12 said:
Did you all hear pats signed JJ STOKES today... and resigned genser back to the practice squad.. what ya all think..

I think it means the injuries to Troy Brown and/or David Givens might be more serious than originally thought.

I started another thread about it

didn't notice yours! Yeah, J.J. Stokes-good football name, anyway, like Tebucky Jones. I remember in 1998 the Pats picked up a receiver late-season, formerly of the Rams, who had seen BETTER days. I can't think of his name. He did not end up being a great addition.

But I also remember the Packers, in 1996, picking up a good receiver late in the season, and he scored a long TD vs. the Pats in the SB. (Formerly of the Falcons, and he was a bit of a head-case). Funny, can't think of his name offhand. I'm sure someone will answer those questions quite readily. I could find out if I really want to.

p.s.-just wanted to remind everybody 1. The Dallas defense is the best in the NFL; and Big Bill made Little Bill, so Little Bill-watch out. LOL LOL

Here's one for this week: "The Texans beat the Bills in Buffalo, so the Pats BETTER watch out this week". Well, I do think the Pats better watch out this week, since they are playing a team that has beaten the Fins and Bills-both when those 2 teams were at their most vulnerable, admittedly. But I will be Shocked if the Pats don't (relatively speaking) blow out the Texans this weekend, by a couple of touchdowns, anyway.

Re: I started another thread about it

Steve1 said:
didn't notice yours! Yeah, J.J. Stokes-good football name, anyway, like Tebucky Jones. I remember in 1998 the Pats picked up a receiver late-season, formerly of the Rams, who had seen BETTER days. I can't think of his name. He did not end up being a great addition.

But I also remember the Packers, in 1996, picking up a good receiver late in the season, and he scored a long TD vs. the Pats in the SB. (Formerly of the Falcons, and he was a bit of a head-case). Funny, can't think of his name offhand. I'm sure someone will answer those questions quite readily. I could find out if I really want to.

I couldn't find a record of the Rams pickup you remember, but didn't we sign Henry Ellison when he was washed up? He's the only guy I could think of that fits the criteria and played for the Rams.

The Packers guy you are referring to was Desmond Howard who ran two long kickoffs back on us.

Thanks for reminding me Steve.

Re: Jj Stokes

star12 said:

I haven't seen him in years Star and have no idea what he might have left, but the guy has had some success.

Maybe they'll figure out a way to use him properly and he is certainly big enough. The guy is huge.

I'm happy we resigned Gessner. I hate to think that we cut a guy who once caught 24 balls in one game without at least giving him a chance.

Besides, I want to get a look at the guy.

Re: Re: I started another thread about it

Hawg73 said:
I couldn't find a record of the Rams pickup you remember, but didn't we sign Henry Ellison when he was washed up? He's the only guy I could think of that fits the criteria and played for the Rams.

The Packers guy you are referring to was Desmond Howard who ran two long kickoffs back on us.

Thanks for reminding me Steve.

I think Henry's last name was Ellard and he sure was washed up when the Pats grabbed him. I think he played in only a few games and had a few catches in 98 or 99. He was not the most successful veteran signing the Pats have ever pulled off. But he did have some fantastic seasons with the Rams in the late 80's / early 90's.

Right guys, Henry Ellard

But Hawg, TRUST me, I wasn't trying to remind anybody about....hey, that damned Patriots coach in '96, I WON'T say his name, let Vinateri kick off directly to Desmond Howard in the SB-Belicheck would NEVER have done that LOL...No, it was a different reciever the Pack had, who had been truly excellent for the Falcons.....I'll look it up

Ah yes- Andre Rison-54 yd Td (as stated in my trusted 2003 New England Patriots Media Guide).

Desmond Howard is (was?) a wide receiver also, right.

Re: Right guys, Henry Ellard

Steve1 said:
Ah yes- Andre Rison-54 yd Td (as stated in my trusted 2003 New England Patriots Media Guide).

Desmond Howard is (was?) a wide receiver also, right.

Ah-ha... Old Andre - My mansion is on fire - Rison! What a gangster he was.... a great receiver, but a gangster (wanna be) nonetheless.

Desmond Howard was indeed a WR and even though the name is very familiar to a lot of people he wasn't really "all that".

Dedric Ward

Adam H. Beasley, of BaltimoreRavens.com, reports the Baltimore Ravens have released WR Dedric Ward.

Of course....right after we sign Stokes.

Dedric Ward released by Ravens

OK, this brings up some intriguing possibilities. The Ravens released Ward last night. Do the Pats go after him and add him along with Stokes, add him and cut Stokes, or just keep the status quo. I wouldn't mind seeing both on the squad. I believe there's still a couple of open spots.

we already cut ward once

no need to bring in another midget. Anyways I think Stokes is a better receiver. Not only that but he's BIG. It'll be strange watching the guys lineup and actually having a WR bigger than the referee for a change!!! :D

We had to place Gessner back on the Practice Squad so I think are roster is full again. Unless they did this knowing that Ward was going to be coming and did have a spot open so they moved Chaz early.

I'd pick Stokes over Ward but wouldn't be all that unhappy if we got both. We cut Ward once so he knows the base system from training camp...

I'd like to see Ward returning punts as well, since Brown is not up to it. To be honest, it makes me nervous to see Faulk back on punt returns and I really became alarmed when Tyrone Poole was back to field a punt in the Cowboy game.

Re: we already cut ward once

COOKIEINCOLLEGE said:
no need to bring in another midget. Anyways I think Stokes is a better receiver. Not only that but he's BIG. It'll be strange watching the guys lineup and actually having a WR bigger than the referee for a change!!! :D

We had to place Gessner back on the Practice Squad so I think are roster is full again. Unless they did this knowing that Ward was going to be coming and did have a spot open so they moved Chaz early.

I'd pick Stokes over Ward but wouldn't be all that unhappy if we got both. We cut Ward once so he knows the base system from training camp...

Stokes is a possession receiver who's considered very slow. Ward is very fast and could add another deep threat, replacing Patten. Ward can also double as a punt returner. I think he was very close to making the team out of camp.

I think Ward was close to making the team as well, but they cut him in favor of the younger guys with more potential like Givens and Johnson. Now that Patten is on IR, I think Ward is the perfect replacement for him.

I don't know what to think about Stokes.

OK we got Stokes, and Ward comes available.. Let's see, we play the Jags next month and probably won't see the Ravens at all. I think that keeping Stokes for a recon mission is worth it. He may be able to give the Pats value added insight into the Jags scheme much as Lawyer did the Bills. I think we keep Stokes based on that fact alone.

The Pats cut Ward in pre-season, so they know what they'll be getting if they bring him back. I think the addition of a big possesion type reciever would be good for the offence especially with the on again, off again Daniel Graham..

God I'd love to see that guy take a dose of toughness and learn to step it up in must have situations.

Re: Part Deux

runnerone said:
I posted this on the Stokes thread, but the topics were so similar, that I crossed posted here too!

Y'all want me to merge the threads, so that all of the similar subject matter is clumped together???

If I read correctly, I belive Stokes was the Jags main man before Johnson came to town. He is pretty big 6'4...not bad. I would love to see what him and grr...whats his name...Gessnar or something like that in the lineup.

Re: Re: Part Deux

pookie said:
Y'all want me to merge the threads, so that all of the similar subject matter is clumped together???

Not a bad thought. But please delete one of my dups OK?

I am a fan of speed and athleticism. This is why Givens excites me but I have reservations on Graham. I like Ward, he can still burn, he has hands, and he can be plugged into Charlie's offense as a substitute for Brown and Patton until they return. I don't know enough about Stokes, but I do strongly suspect that he can't run either players routes and is more of a new wrinkle than a replacement. I would I would love to see what both can do in the lineup for different reasons. I do like some of y'all's points about scouting our next opponents.

I would also say that the Pats should give Gessner a shot to show what he can do, if he is healthy. Sometimes a player needs the spotlight to shine. Practice shmactice. Play him. Too many of the Pats practice-squaders end up on other rosters. Anyone remember Dane Looker?

No, really I would....

Back