Joe Kapp vs Angelo Mosca

Stranded Alien

Almost Life Like
Reaction score
Two 73 year old CFL players just keep on playing...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kThLSiykiHY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What two 70 year old former NFL players would you love to see face off ?

Two 73 year old CFL players just keep on playing...

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kThLSiykiHY" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

What two 70 year old former NFL players would you love to see face off ?
You must be young, if you don't realize that one of these players was a quarterback for the Patriots, and a former MVP of the NFL.

Actually, it was sad to watch. Kapp holding a grudge for 40 years? Really made himself look bad.

You must be young, if you don't realize that one of these players was a quarterback for the Patriots, and a former MVP of the NFL.

I was born 63 So I knew of Kapp but didn't see him play alot here.

His wikepedia page is definetly worth the read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kapp

A couple snippets-

Despite being a Super Bowl quarterback, no teams in the NFL made contact with Kapp until September of the 1970 season, when the Boston Patriots signed him to a four-year contract, making him the highest paid player in the league. Pete Rozelle stepped in and forced the Boston Patriots to give up two number one draft picks as compensation to the Minnesota Vikings.

The Boston Patriots of 1970 were a poor-performing team and the late-arriving Kapp played poorly himself that season, leading the team to the league's worst record at 2-12. When the year ended Pete Rozelle demanded that Kapp sign a Standard Player Contract. After conferring with his lawyer and the NFL Players Association, Kapp refused to sign a new contract.

With the top pick in the 1971 NFL Draft, the Patriots selected a quarterback, Jim Plunkett of Stanford. Kapp reported to the newly-renamed New England Patriots' training camp in 1971 and was turned away. The headlines in the Boston papers read “KAPP QUITS!”. After this incident Kapp never played again, his 12 year career as a professional football player was over.

Kapp started an anti-trust lawsuit vs. the NFL claiming the standard NFL contract was unconstitutional and a restraint of trade. He won the Summary Judgment after four years. The court had ruled that Joe Kapp’s trade was indeed restrained. It was two years later (April 1, 1976) in the trial for damages, that the jury decided that Kapp was not damaged.

Acting career

In the 1970s and early 1980s, Kapp appeared in several television programs as well as theatrical film titles. In most cases, the character roles were minor. Programs included Adam-12, Emergency!, Police Woman and Medical Center. Movies included Two-Minute Warning, Breakheart Pass, The Frisco Kid, Mackenna's Gold, The Longest Yard, and Semi-Tough. Joe Kapp also appeared in Festival Express (1970 concert) during the Grateful Dead's performance of "New Speedway Boogie". Kapp can be seen in football pads watching the show during a crowd shot

California head coach

In 1982, Kapp was hired as the head football coach at his alma mater, the University of California, Berkeley. He had never coached before.[5] In his first year as head coach, he was voted the Pac-10 Coach of the Year.

In December 1981, Kapp made a promise to the football team that he would not consume any of his favorite alcoholic beverage, tequila, until the Golden Bears reached the Rose Bowl. As of March 2011, the Golden Bears have yet to return to the Rose Bowl and Kapp has resorted to drinking rum instead

Kapp had several philosophies while coaching at Cal. He called his special teams the "special forces." He told his players to play "One hundred precent for 60 minutes." He also wanted the players to have fun. On Sundays, he would have his players play a game of "garbazz," described as a mix of basketball and football where the only objective is to pass the ball downfield. There are no football rules such as offsides or forward passes

Guy, Certainly walks to his own beat !

Kapp was in The Longest Yard? I didn't know that.

Wonder what character he was. I gotta go look that up.

There were a number of former NFL and college players in the original (and as far as I am concerned, only) Longest Yard, not the least of which was Ray Nitschke. I think even Burt Reynolds played ball at Florida State, if I'm not mistaken.

I saw an interview with Burt about how everyone was "taking liberties" during the filming of the tackling scenes. After one particularly rough tackle, where he was ridden into the bench area, he got up to hear Ray Nitschke yelling at the offenders to "LEAVE BURT ALONE". Thinking he had won over the respect of Nitshcke, Burt was surprised to hear what Nitschke said next....

"LEAVE BURT ALONE..... HE'S MINE"...

Some character known as "Walking Boss".

(thanks, IMDB)

Also, on a completely unrelated note, Joe Kapp was a Chicano QB before Mark Sanchez made it cool. :coffee:

Yes, he was and he never let anybody forget it. His big thing was "machismo" and he would tell any reporter his tale of triumph over prejudice and his hardscrabble roots. I'm not calling him a complete liar, but Joe loved the sound of his own voice. The media loved both his voice and his myth.

The first Pats game I ever went to was right after we signed him. He wasn't in uniform, but made a dramatic entrance and everybody knew who he was.

Possibly, it was the white jumpsuit.

I'm kidding, but Joe thought he was a big deal even though he was old, out-of-shape, slow and had a rag arm that makes Tebow look like Jeff George.

Anyhow, the next game I went to had him playing against the Colts who were starting some guy named Unitas. It wasn't close and I was left with the impression that Kapp was a total bullshit artist, because he wasn't leading that Pats team anywhere except the sub-basement.

In my mind's eye I can still see the wobbling quails he heaved up. His getting buried by an endless swarm of Colts, his uniform all covered with grass and mud. Him looking desperately for an interview-- anyone would do.

Kapp sued the league because he was smart enough to know that he was going to get killed in Boston and destroy his reputation as a winner in the process.

Two 1st rounders for that stiff. On the plus side, we probably would've picked some ham n' eggers, but if you ever hear the question asked "what was the worst signing in Patriots' history?" you have your answer.

Yes, he was and he never let anybody forget it. His big thing was "machismo" and he would tell any reporter his tale of triumph over prejudice and his hardscrabble roots. I'm not calling him a complete liar, but Joe loved the sound of his own voice. The media loved both his voice and his myth.

The first Pats game I ever went to was right after we signed him. He wasn't in uniform, but made a dramatic entrance and everybody knew who he was.

I'm kidding, but Joe thought he was a big deal even though he was old, out-of-shape, slow and had a rag arm that makes Tebow look like Jeff George.

Anyhow, the next game I went to had him playing against the Colts who were starting some guy named Unitas. It wasn't close and I was left with the impression that Kapp was a total bullshit artist, because he wasn't leading that Pats team anywhere except the sub-basement.

In my mind's eye I can still see the wobbling quails he heaved up. His getting buried by an endless swarm of Colts, his uniform all covered with grass and mud. Him looking desperately for an interview-- anyone would do.

Kapp sued the league because he was smart enough to know that he was going to get killed in Boston and destroy his reputation as a winner in the process.

Two 1st rounders for that stiff. On the plus side, we probably would've picked some ham n' eggers, but if you ever hear the question asked "what was the worst signing in Patriots' history?" you have your answer.

I'm guessing he sucked because the NFL was racist, and hated Mexicans. :coffee:

I'm guessing he sucked because the NFL was racist, and hated Mexicans. :coffee:

There was that. :coffee:

Seriously, nobody in NFL history ever cashed in on their ethnic background more than Kapp. I'm not even sure he was mexican with a name like Kapp.

He was a lucky sumbitch to have played on some legendary Vikings teams, but they weren't legendary because of this guy. That's for sure.

Everybody knew Jim Thorpe was injun and he was the best player of his era, but I bet he made squat for endorsements.

I mean, who had it worse? At least we didn't kick the mexicans out of their own country..... What?.......we did too? Nevermind.

Kapp almost derailed my chance at QBing the JV's when I tried to use his "jump pass'. Where did he learn his technique?

Someones getting fined over this :eek:hnoez:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/72GEZIJ5kf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back